Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The CE map is wonderful - large, detailed, filled with Elvish writing.
The one downside is that it gets older and a bit more creased every time it is used.
SO... I took the entire map to a place that does professional scanning for museums. They use what is called a CRUSE scanner - it is, essentially, a table sized scanner that can hold the entire map, with a scanner unit that goes over the entire thing, with adjusted lighting. This was originally used by places that wanted to scan and show replicas of actual artwork, and keep the originals safe [museums and such].
After the scan was complete, I had the map file in hand. However, it was still full of all the creases, and the separation line between the two parts still caused the usual slight distortion to some words, symbols, etc.
So I worked on that as well [using GIMP free software and a lot of patience - about 100 hours of work, and there is still some work to be done]. Here is a small sample of the end result, right from the center of the map:

Edit: the original scan, before GIMP manipulation, looked like this:

-Paramar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
How much does a scan like that cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paramar wrote:
[if BBG allows it, I will upload the before-GIMP version of the same spot for comparison].

BGG will allow it if the copyright holder grants explicit permission. I suggest you contact Roberto and ask his advice:

Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobugath wrote:

Here in Israel - about 120 USD. But it is the only place in Israel with that sort of scanner, so I have no idea how much it would cost in a country with more competition.

I can tell you that I tried various scanning options, and this proved the best by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hand scanned the CE map - but it is very wonky - the definition is outstanding but very hard to align the pieces - would be nice if we can get a good scan some day - would print it out to a 10'x8' map on banner material and one of many printers

I have tried to get the publishers to allow this but think it has been a matter of indifference or other prioritites instead of legal barriers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for a 10' on 8' quality printing [3 times current size], you would need a 600 dpi scan. There are many printing machines that can print such a size in one seamless go. With that kind of size, you could easily place mountains and forests and whatnots on the board - but you would also need lots of space; certainly more than I could think of sparing :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Balla
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is $120 USD for the printed copy or just the scanned image in a graphic file format?

Im just a bit confused

Paramar wrote:
jacobugath wrote:

Here in Israel - about 120 USD. But it is the only place in Israel with that sort of scanner, so I have no idea how much it would cost in a country with more competition.

I can tell you that I tried various scanning options, and this proved the best by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a matter of "indifference".

Ares cannot distribute for public use an item which is copyrighted by John Howe and licensed by Middle-earth Enterprises, like this board is.

Making a copy for personal use is a thing - distributing it digitally is another, and we are neither in a legal position to do this ourselves, nor to allow others to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:

Ares cannot distribute for public use an item which is copyrighted by John Howe and licensed by Middle-earth Enterprises, like this board is.

Making a copy for personal use is a thing - distributing it digitally is another, and we are neither in a legal position to do this ourselves, nor to allow others to do the same.

Totally with you on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paramar wrote:
for a 10' on 8' quality printing [3 times current size], you would need a 600 dpi scan. There are many printing machines that can print such a size in one seamless go. With that kind of size, you could easily place mountains and forests and whatnots on the board - but you would also need lots of space; certainly more than I could think of sparring :-)

When i get the map I will use 3 8' plastic folding tables - I guess that will be an 8'x9' table -i always figured to cut off the Western end of the map and have a table just for battles and the tracks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:

My mistake - I thought it was Ares that didn't want to do it - thanks Roberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your understanding. Middle-earth Enterprises is very strict on the rights they grant and how they are used. And the fence between physical and digital is a very high one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.