Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

1846: The Race for the Midwest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Michigan Southern & Big 4 Price Reduction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Behan
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Michigan Southern and Big 4 happen to be the last private left, they enter into the "reverse auction" phase of the game. Once their price is reduced to $0, must the next person buy them even though they still will have to pay the debt of $80 & $60 respectively? Or do they continue to be reduced in price.

This may seem far fetched, but that is the situation in the game we are in with the Big 4. The question is if the person has to buy it for $0 + $60 or may they pass and the the next person can buy it for $0 + $50.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, the price of the Michigan Southern is $140. In order for the price to drop to zero, it must be passed on 14 times after it is turned face up. At this point, the person who is forced to take it pays zero for it (and gets one heck of a bargain.)

Similarly for the Big 4.

The "debt" is simply showing that the purchase price is not the amount for which a company can buy the independent from a player.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Jeff, the price of the Michigan Southern is $140. In order for the price to drop to zero, it must be passed on 14 times after it is turned face up. At this point, the person who is forced to take it pays zero for it (and gets one heck of a bargain.)

Similarly for the Big 4.

The "debt" is simply showing that the purchase price is not the amount for which a company can buy the independent from a player.


Eric, I don't have the game in front of me, but I thought the MS was $100 ($60 + $40 debt or vice versa). Am I remembering wrong?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big 4 is $40 + $60 debt = $100

Michigan Central is $60 + $80 debt = $140

The difference is justified by the fact that MC starts in Detroit, which is the best city in the game at the start, while Big 4 only starts in Indianapolis.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Big 4 is $40 + $60 debt = $100

Michigan Central is $60 + $80 debt = $140

The difference is justified by the fact that MC starts in Detroit, which is the best city in the game at the start, while Big 4 only starts in Indianapolis.


Sorry. You're right. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume a price reduction on either of these private companies will affect the amount in the company's starting treasury? That being the case I also assume that reductions begin taking that amount off the price (since the "price" goes to the treasury) and not the "debt" portion of the cost?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephe Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The companies start with the usual amounts ($60 for MS, $40 for Big4) no matter what they are sold for. (Think of the bank kicking in the difference between sale price and face value, as an incentive.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zimmerman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this ever happened in the history of the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lj4adotcomdan wrote:
Has this ever happened in the history of the game?


According to the OP, at least once!surprise
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.