Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I seriously would love to get this (and I will, ha!), but since it is so expensive I would like some advice on what to get. I will be in Austria (Vienna) for two weeks and in Germany (Frankfurt/Heidelberg) for one week in march, so I think it will be where I will buy it. Can anyone share their thoughts on what I should get (which sets) and, if possible, where to get it on those cities?

I am looking to spend about 150 Euro, tops.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently asked the same question and got some good advice:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1303606/getting-sw-x-wing-25...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:

Thanks, Alex! I missed that one (truth be told, I did not really look too much and since there are new ships coming out, or that have just come out, I was looking for a fresh (ish) answer - and your thread fits in nicely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtrein wrote:
aflorin wrote:

Thanks, Alex! I missed that one (truth be told, I did not really look too much and since there are new ships coming out, or that have just come out, I was looking for a fresh (ish) answer - and your thread fits in nicely).

I don't imagine the answer will ever really change that much. As additional waves of ships have come out, they have introduced new mechanics and systems that have advanced the game, but also increased its level of complexity. Generally speaking, I would always encourage someone to start out with ships from the earlier waves and gradually progress to the newer stuff. I would recommend that someone avoid investing too heavily in any particular wave until they have gotten a good feel for how the metagame has progressed (ie, at this point I wouldn't recommend getting more than 2 or 3 x-wings, 4 or 5 TIE fighters, 1 yt-1300, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
mtrein wrote:
aflorin wrote:

I don't imagine the answer will ever really change that much. As additional waves of ships have come out, they have introduced new mechanics and systems that have advanced the game, but also increased its level of complexity. Generally speaking, I would always encourage someone to start out with ships from the earlier waves and gradually progress to the newer stuff. I would recommend that someone avoid investing too heavily in any particular wave until they have gotten a good feel for how the metagame has progressed (ie, at this point I wouldn't recommend getting more than 2 or 3 x-wings, 4 or 5 TIE fighters, 1 yt-1300, etc.)

Thanks. This is the list that I will most likely follow, up to the point I get over around 140USD:

* 2x Core sets (for the dice and other components, as well as the ships)
* Millennium Falcon expansion (with core sets, already enough for a decent Rebel squad)
* X-wing Expansion (important pilots, and 3 X-wings are the basis of a lot of squads)
* TIE Fighter Expansion (important pilots, upgrades)
* TIE Interceptor expansion (the best Interceptor pilots)
* Imperial Aces (upgrades and new pilots including new generics)
* Decimator expansion (finally brings balance to the Force)
* TIE Phantom expansion (... possibly too much balance)
* Rebel Aces (more Rebel fighters for diversity)
* Y-wing expansion (Ion Turret support for Rebels)
* 2x Z-95 expansions (filler for the Rebels... and Scum...)
- Slave I expansion (strong ship for the Imperials... and Scum...)
- HWK-290 expansion (some neat support options for Rebels... and Scum...)
- Outrider expansion (another strong 360° turret for the Rebels)
- B-wing expansion (for the pilots, mostly; and it's nice to have 2 B-wings total)
- A-wing expansion (for one pilot, mostly; and it's nice to have 2 A-wings total)

Out of those, is there any expansion which I absolutely need to get iyho?

Edit: I forgot to say, most are out of stock anyway at CSI, where I usually get board games from, so I think I will have to wait for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wedge Antilles
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing is distributed by Heidelberger Spiele in Germany. Here is a link to their flagship-stores. There you normally should find X-wing stuff. There is a shop in Heidelberg and in Frankfurt, too.

http://www.heidelbaer.de/dyn/bezugsquellen/main
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think in the end it almost doesn't matter what you buy. This is because:

1- Once you get into the game it isn't like you will stop buying. As more ships come out you will be tempted to buy them and you will also want to collect the older ships too.

2- As you will find some of the ships will be hard to buy. Some are sold out and may not be reprinted for a long time. You will have to settle with whatever stock you can find.

The bottom line is buy what appeals to you and what is available. There is no such thing as a winning build as the game evolves.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antilles_79 wrote:
X-Wing is distributed by Heidelberger Spiele in Germany. Here is a link to their flagship-stores. There you normally should find X-wing stuff. There is a shop in Heidelberg and in Frankfurt, too.

http://www.heidelbaer.de/dyn/bezugsquellen/main

This is very helpful. Thank you, Wedge!

And you know what is the best thing? The one in Heidelberg is 3 blocks from the hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colby_bimore wrote:
I think in the end it almost doesn't matter what you buy. This is because:

1- Once you get into the game it isn't like you will stop buying. As more ships come out you will be tempted to buy them and you will also want to collect the older ships too.

2- As you will find some of the ships will be hard to buy. Some are sold out and may not be reprinted for a long time. You will have to settle with whatever stock you can find.

The bottom line is buy what appeals to you and what is available. There is no such thing as a winning build as the game evolves.

Good luck.

Thanks Colby. I guess that at the end of the day almost every expansion is worth buying at least to get the new pilots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Your suggested list of purchases makes all kind of sense to me, although it'll be a lot to take in (maybe even an overwhelming array of options and mechanics) if you buy it all at once. Maybe once you've bought them, you should pace yourself out in terms of getting them out and trying them, do it wave by wave or something.

And although (for now) the TIE Advanced isn't terribly competitive tournament-wise, Vader is so damn much fun to use casually that I recommend adding the Advance to your list for him alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting all the advice on the other thread and thinking about it, I decided to go with this:

2 Core
A-Wing
B-Wing
Rebel Aces
Falcon
Tie
Tie Advanced
Imperial Aces
Slave 1
Tie Interceptor

This comes out to be $200 which is quite a bit less than my initial budget since I'm fine to wait for Coolstuff or Miniatures Market to restock.

Mainly, I want to start out by enjoying the early wave ships for a while before adding the additional options and complexity of later waves.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wedge Antilles
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy shopping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the madness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the support, guys.

aflorin wrote:
After getting all the advice on the other thread and thinking about it, I decided to go with this:

2 Core
A-Wing
B-Wing
Rebel Aces
Falcon
Tie
Tie Advanced
Imperial Aces
Slave 1
Tie Interceptor

This comes out to be $200 which is quite a bit less than my initial budget since I'm fine to wait for Coolstuff or Miniatures Market to restock.

Mainly, I want to start out by enjoying the early wave ships for a while before adding the additional options and complexity of later waves.

Alex

Alex, that sounds like a very nice, simplified, list. Thanks. I will not order anything from CSI right now because I go to Europe on the 28th, and the purchase could take longer to get here (especially if customs decide to tax the package), so I will wait until I am back from Europe. Then I will also know what I was able to find there.

Thanks for all your thoughts, very much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtrein wrote:

aflorin wrote:

2 Core
A-Wing
B-Wing
Rebel Aces
Falcon
Tie
Tie Advanced
Imperial Aces
Slave 1
Tie Interceptor

Alex

Alex, that sounds like a very nice, simplified, list. Thanks. I will not order anything from CSI right now because I go to Europe on the 28th, and the purchase could take longer to get here (especially if customs decide to tax the package), so I will wait until I am back from Europe. Then I will also know what I was able to find there.

CSI only has the core game and one of the aces expansions right now so you'd have to wait anyway, as am I, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
mtrein wrote:

aflorin wrote:

2 Core
A-Wing
B-Wing
Rebel Aces
Falcon
Tie
Tie Advanced
Imperial Aces
Slave 1
Tie Interceptor

Alex

CSI only has the core game and one of the aces expansions right now so you'd have to wait anyway, as am I, unfortunately.

Hi Alex

So I ended up getting the core game here, as expensive as it was. I couldn't resist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Buisman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
If you're still buying stuff in Germany, be warned that the heidelberger version of the game is completely in German. Some German stores may sell the English fantasy flight games version as well but it's rather unlikely. If you're staying at a fixed German address for a period of time I would advise you to look into ordering some stuff from an online store, Amazon.de for example. They carry the heidelberger line, as well as the FFG line, at for the most part pretty good prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Ripoll
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello Marcelo!

Galapagos Jogos is the one selling X-Wing boxes here in Brazil and will be releasing the remaining Wave 2 ships this week. They plan to catch up on waves over the next few months. Their releases are 100% translated to portuguese and the price is really not that different from buying outside of Brazil (taking exchange rates into account).

Make sure to contact me when you're back or even before going to Europe. We are setting up a very nice X-Wing gaming group here in Porto Alegre and you are welcome to join us, of course!

I say this because we are playing mostly with wave 1 and 2 stuff, since this is what has been released so far. In our last gaming session, one of the guys (who has EVERYTHING) decided not to use stuff from other waves in order to keep it interesting for everyone, since even upgrade cards from later releases could tip the scales to his advantage in an unfun way.

Right now I own 2 core sets, 1 X, 1 TIE-F, 1 TIE-Adv, 1 Y and the Falcon. This has been quite enough to try some very different things and I still got a lot to try!

If you do get some stuff in Germany, getting some of the later waves stuff should be nice since they will take the longest to be released in Brazil.

Abraço!
André
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripasmaster wrote:
Hello Marcelo!

Galapagos Jogos is the one selling X-Wing boxes here in Brazil and will be releasing the remaining Wave 2 ships this week. They plan to catch up on waves over the next few months. Their releases are 100% translated to portuguese and the price is really not that different from buying outside of Brazil (taking exchange rates into account).

Make sure to contact me when you're back or even before going to Europe. We are setting up a very nice X-Wing gaming group here in Porto Alegre and you are welcome to join us, of course!

I say this because we are playing mostly with wave 1 and 2 stuff, since this is what has been released so far. In our last gaming session, one of the guys (who has EVERYTHING) decided not to use stuff from other waves in order to keep it interesting for everyone, since even upgrade cards from later releases could tip the scales to his advantage in an unfun way.

Right now I own 2 core sets, 1 X, 1 TIE-F, 1 TIE-Adv, 1 Y and the Falcon. This has been quite enough to try some very different things and I still got a lot to try!

If you do get some stuff in Germany, getting some of the later waves stuff should be nice since they will take the longest to be released in Brazil.

Abraço!
André

Hi André

Thanks, I will certainly get in touch once I am back from my business trip. But I disagree about the Galápagos stuff pricing:At 160 BRL it is definitely more expensive than getting it outside. At current rates, 160 BRL translates to about 55 USD. So even with shipping and taxes, there is no way to get stuff here.

I got the core game yesterday because I simply could not wait to try it, but I will be importing the other stuff for sure.

Thanks for the tips, and see you soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.