Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
pick up their order from their warehouse directly?? Aside from the obvious "we're not staffed to do that", it just seems like it would be so much easier for the seller (because they would save $$ on shipping), and easier for the customer (because if they just happened to be in the neighborhood or just couldn't wait for their games, they would have the option to get it right away!). Now wouldn't that just make more sense??!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why don't some online retailers give customers the optio
They make money on shipping. You think they charge you what it costs them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The smaller ones might also be out of their homes and don't feel that comfortable giving away their home address. Just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though doing something a certain way may seem easier to an external observer, doing anything outside of the routine makes things more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://timewellspent.org does this once a month, I believe.

I think coordinating drop-in times would be a hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain has a storefront. They allow this. It rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Jeese, why don't they just open a game store made out of, hell I don't know, bricks and mortar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I've picked up a game (Chinatown) from Boards and Bits. He didn't advertise it, but I asked and he was agreeable. He has since moved to Spokane, WA, and I don't know if that would persist to his new location or what though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my last order from Tom at Boards and Bits (now in Spokane) and it was a great service! It really is a great option: prices and selection of an Internet shop with no waiting for the big box to come.

Now if I could only find a way around sales tax..
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
They make money on shipping. You think they charge you what it costs them?

*raises hand*

I do! At least from the online stores I've dealt with so far.

I've never once been overcharged for shipping on an order from any of the more well known game sellers (timewellspent, boardsandbits, thoughthammer, nobleknight, etc). In fact I usually get a better rate than expected in some cases (not including the 'spend 125 get free shipping' type deals). Part of my job is shipping/receiving so I'm pretty familiar with rates across the U.S. for the big three (usps, fedex, ups).

If you can, always go with USPS. Cheap and fast, and I've never had a damaged package when sending/receiving with them. FedEx is my 2nd choice, usually a bit more expensive and a few days slower, but just as package friendly as USPS. UPS is generally the most expensive and the slowest, and it seems anti package. Mind you, these are using basic rates, nothing like 2day/3day options which naturally change the price/time. And I know there are horror stories out there involving FedEx and USPS so they're not perfect. But if you see a high shipping price, it's probably because they're using UPS.

Now some ebay sellers, on the other hand, they take shipping markup to a whole new level. laugh There was one guy charging $20 to ship a small item via USPS which is the cheapest carrier you can choose. He was making a nice $15 profit on the shipping alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
CardHaus. They've let me pick stuff up from their warehouse for zilcho shipping. Nice guys. Now if I could get them not to TAX me . . . !

Six of one . . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pathagobi wrote:
pick up their order from their warehouse directly?? Aside from the obvious "we're not staffed to do that", it just seems like it would be so much easier for the seller (because they would save $$ on shipping), and easier for the customer (because if they just happened to be in the neighborhood or just couldn't wait for their games, they would have the option to get it right away!). Now wouldn't that just make more sense??!

The answer to the question is "Some of us do!"

The next question is "How does that help you?"

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Heckathorn
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not a warehouse pickup, Dragon Talon Games out of the St. Peters, MO area (just west of St. Louis) hand delivers to the area around there (at a much discounted S&H charge). It's pretty nice. I get my order the next day. meeple

They also sponsor the Boardgame meetup group for St. Louis, and you can arrange to pick up your orders at some of the various meetups. Very nice for those in the St. Louis area. Aside from having to pay tax if you live in Missouri, they price really well, so the quick turnaround from order to delivery makes them one of my first stops when ordering games.

Links:

Dragon Talon Games: http://www.dragontalongames.com/
St Louis Boardgame Meetup: http://boardgames.meetup.com/9/
(instructions for hand delivery or meetup delivery are found as a sticky in the meetup messageboard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite games purchase was while vacationing in Seattle. I called an order into House Full of Games and I timed it quickly enough that they hand-delivered it to my hotel within two hours of having called the order in. All for free! That was even better than driving over to pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
BoardsAndBits wrote:

Tom

Hey Tom,
that's great that you offer pick-ups! For me personally, driving to Spokane is not really an option, but it's great for your customers nearby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesurplus allows pick-ups if you make an appointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pathagobi wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:

Tom

Hey Tom,
that's great that you offer pick-ups! For me personally, driving to Spokane is not really an option, but it's great for your customers nearby!

Of course that's why I asked the second question. The only way this would help you is if there is a particular online retailer near you. Did you have someone specific in mind?

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Donin
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
They make money on shipping.

Some make BIG money on shipping.

I ordered Citadels at a famous store, for the price of $13.00 They charged me $17.50 for shipping (to Brazil), and, when the package arrived, I saw they payed only $4.50 at the post office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati wrote:
ekted wrote:

I ordered Citadels at a famous store, for the price of $13.00 They charged me $17.50 for shipping (to Brazil), and, when the package arrived, I saw they payed only $4.50 at the post office.

The price on the box isn't always exactly what they paid. It cost me $15 to ship a game of the same size to Japan several months ago, and I know it cost the person in Japan $15/each to ship several games to me, so $17.50 isn't too far off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just leery of some of the shipping rates, particularly those based on the total price of the order. I know the shipping rates through USPS / etc. aren't based on the value of what you're trying to send (insurance is...but that's relatively cheap, as I recall...like a few dollars for the first $500 of the item or somesuch), it's based on the weight. I can only assume that it operates on the assumption that more money == more items == more weight...which does not hold in many cases. Seems like it's just laziness in not putting the weight and other shipping-relevant data into the database.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
toupsz wrote:
I'm just leery of some of the shipping rates, particularly those based on the total price of the order. I know the shipping rates through USPS / etc. aren't based on the value of what you're trying to send (insurance is...but that's relatively cheap, as I recall...like a few dollars for the first $500 of the item or somesuch), it's based on the weight. I can only assume that it operates on the assumption that more money == more items == more weight...which does not hold in many cases. Seems like it's just laziness in not putting the weight and other shipping-relevant data into the database.
-Zach

Dimensions might matter too, and calculating package dimensions based on the dimensions of each item is not all that easy. In many mail order companies where product size, weight and price are tightly related, they just run calculations on price because it really does make more sense. They just add specific surcharges and deductions on items where the standard formula would be very far off.

Also, take into account that on items with large rates of return, the seller can end up having to pay shipping multiple times. To that you want to add rate shopping algorithms, that alter the shipping cost in different conditions. Many times you don't know the rate and exact carrier until everything is packaged and in the box!

When you put all of that together, you'll find that many times the best a company can do is fudge the numbers so that, at the end of the year, they don't lose money on shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati wrote:
ekted wrote:

Another factor in this is that there are custom forms which need to be filled out for overseas shipments, not to mention that they have to be hand delivered to the post office, which can sometimes be a very time consuming proposition in itself. All of this, as well as the processing of the orders, paperwork, and various other issues all add to the shipping charges (or shipping and handling).

That being said, there are places where you will get charged an excessive amount for shipping, and some where you will seem to be getting a great deal. I know the online retailer I work for (non gamer related) charges $7.50 for shipping minimum, and with heavier weight items it scales up. Of course, our prices are clearly stated during checkout, so you know what you're getting charged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.