Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a-voir [+] a2p [+] [View All]
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Title: Pocket Armada
A Micro-Wargame

Components: 8 cards (3 Ships Per Player, 2 Range-Finder Cards), 6 paper clips, 2d6 (or 2 coins)

Playtime: Approximately 15 minutes

Gameplay: Players take turns sailing their ships around the table top, trading cannon fire and maneuvering their way to victory.

A dice roll determines each ship's "movement" points per turn. Sailing is free-form; players may turn their ships at any angle, just like on the high-seas!

The distance between ships and their orientation toward one another (Chasing, Broadsiding, etc.) is the key to successful combat.

Players have 3 different types of ships in their armada, each varying in maneuverability and firepower.

Embrace your inner pirate... err... "privateer" and blow your friends out of the water with Pocket Armada!

Game in Progress

Pocket Armada Cards
Pocket Armada Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Played it, had a ton of fun. It's probably a game I'll keep playing for a long time. Two big questions came up.

The first is can you block turning/movement by ramming enemy ships?

We got in a few positions where you'd hit the back of a boat in order to stop it from turning in a way that would let you be hit by their side guns.

The second is can you hit the same ship with two different guns if you're at a corner angle?

It'd be a big deal, since you'd be able to do two damage to the same ship with one attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback James! I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

Can you block turning/movement by ramming a ship? Strictly on the rules, yes, you can. However, being that this is a fairly "light" game, I'd encourage you to "house rule" this if you find it makes for a boring or overly deterministic game.

Can you hit the same ship with two guns? There isn't a rule that prohibits this. When it's come up in my play testing, I've always allowed it. As above, feel free to "house rule" it to one gun per ship if it seems to take an ugly turn with your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just discovered this and currently printing it. Looks like a fab concept, especially with the ability to create obstacles from anything laying around.

Thank you

Stinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Great! I hope you enjoy!

I'd love to hear about your experience after you get a play or two under your belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only other thing I want from this game is for the rules to fit on one page. Other than that, it looks like a lot of fun and I can't wait to give it a shot.

Have you played with more than 2 players at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I have not tried it with more than two players... but there is no reason the system couldn't easily support up to four players. All that would be required is a couple new colors.

Or, if you want to do two versus two battles, you could forego the paper clips in favor of small wooden bits (pandemic cubes, perhaps). Simply print two copies of the cards and use the bits to differentiate players on the same team. For instance:

Player 1: Blue ships, Blue cubes
Player 2: Blue ships, Black cubes

Player 3: Green ships, Green cubes
Player 4: Green ships, Red cubes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Also... I have updated the rules so that they do indeed fit on one page.

I'm having a terrible time with google drive making some of the text vanish in its viewer. If you download the pdf, it's all there.

I'm going to keep chipping away at it until it learns to play nice.

Edit: Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RB Chambers
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Printed. Gonna have a go at it on the trip back tomorrow. Looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Tremendous! Please, let me know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks fun well print it out and try it if it is ok, will let you know how the game goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
By all means! I hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RB Chambers
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game is good fun! We had a battle last night and had a few ideas. They might make the game more heavy than it's intended to be though, so take them or leave them:

Ramming: As someone mentioned above, this is the most obvious omission from the rules. Can there be a strategic advantage to ramming an enemy ship? Deal two damage to suffer one, perhaps? We also wondered what would fit thematically here when two ships are touching like a T - the vertical ship can't move forward; should there be a stipulation that all ships that can move at least one must do so (to take account of wind in the sails)? It really shuts down the movement otherwise and makes for a very sad (and very dead) blocked ship.

This also affects moving into obstacles. Again, perhaps a stipulation that you suffer one damage (akin to running aground)

Attack/Defence: We wondered whether there's a different mechanic that could be more thematic: Each ship rolls the number of dice on their guns but the attacker gets n+1 dice. If the defender rolls higher, the attacker takes damage. This would discourage swarming (to which I lost my galleon to being surrounded by the entire enemy fleet! Silly manoeuvring on my part!) because the attacker would have to factor in their defence capabilities and get in range with their long guns but out of range of the defender's.

Firing arc: We just took a basic "within range of that edge" but wondered whether it would extend in a 45ยบ angle so you could park with a corner facing a ship and hit it with the front and the side guns. What do you think? Overpowered?

Firing from behind: This was the other one that we wondered most about clarifying. Thematically, having a ship coming up from behind is a pretty scary thing! Perhaps if a ship has a shot, there's no defence roll?

Thanks for the game! It's great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Lots of great feedback. Thanks so much!

I won't be updating until the contest closes, but here are a few things I'm considering for the next edition...

MOST LIKELY:
* Ties favor the defender.

* Measuring will be from the location of the cannon to the edge of a ship (possibly using a restricted arc for firing).

* Initial movement roll happens for the whole fleet at once (one big 6d6 roll) and you assign the dice to the ships as you see fit (still 1 for the galleon, 2 for the frigate, and 3 for the clipper).

* Normalizing the cost of turning to 1 for every ship.

MAYBE:
* Ships will be cut out (not nested in a rectangular card). All ships will be bigger to make room for all necessary info, as well as room to place movement dice directly on the ship.

* Ramming (everyone seems to want this...)

* Return fire

* Official rules for debris/islands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Redesigning a bit... Here's a sneak peek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
My secret santa sent me a copy of this for Christmas!

It looks really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The latest edition is conisderably more "full featured." But, it also uses ideally around 15d6, so there is a bit of a trade off.

I'd love to hear how you enjoy the version you have.

And if you're looking for a bit more meat, check back soon. The new edition is just about ready to be posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
St.John McCloskey
United States
Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Can't wait to try this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
RevCofe wrote:
The latest edition is conisderably more "full featured." But, it also uses ideally around 15d6, so there is a bit of a trade off.

I'd love to hear how you enjoy the version you have.

And if you're looking for a bit more meat, check back soon. The new edition is just about ready to be posted!

Does this count as "check back soon"? This looks great, but I'd like to wait for a full/final version to craft than the old files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mackie
msg tools
VERY elegant and thematic! Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it. Sets a very high standard for this comp! Looking forwad to seeing how you tweek it in the 2nd edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
So, for those patiently waiting for the next edition...

Pocket Armada, 3rd edition: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxqVkvZ4EgV5VGh5eFl6eUY0UVE...

Because ships need cut out, they don't sleeve normally. I suggest laminating or packing-taping the ships for water and wear resistance.

Also, you'll need about 15d6. When I play, I use 5 black and 5 white (for the crew for each team) and 5 red for attacks.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Seim

Vienna
Austria
msg tools
mbmb
looks great - love the changes! any chance you could upload a quick gameplay/rules video?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cofer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
It's possible, but probably not in the very near future. I'm finishing up files for Dirigible Disaster, and it's a pretty crazy time at work for me right now.

That said, I'd like to, and maybe I can attempt it in a few weeks. It'd be the first boardgame video I've shot, so it'd be a good learning experience too.

If anyone else wants to bite off the project sooner, I'd be happy to review the video for clarity and accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |