Hide
11 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Participating in the second OP tomorrow. Any thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bors
msg tools
So as the title says I am playing tomorrow in the OP and I was curious of any observations that you might like to pass on if you have already played the second OP? Especially if you played against Vakka? I am expecting to play against her at least once tomorrow and I was wondering how you may have disabled her? Either way I would love to hear your thoughts.
I am going a little risky with my list and going no dragons but Ill wait to list my list until after the Tourney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had to deal with a Vakka the most common answer seemed to have been to answer brute force with brute force.

The Named Ancient White can go toe to toe and come out ahead with the silver by using close combat. Especially if you charged first.

Also any spells or penetrating attacks whittle him down pretty quick. With no defense dice he's at the mercy to penetrating attacks.

Do not underestimate the blind pulls, they were all good but the Druid seemed to cause the most upsets. He had a bevy of useful spells, especially for this OP.

The Arocka (spelling?) are very very deadly if they get that air elemental off, that thing can wreck you if you are not prepared. Even if you fly out of its radius its still forcing you to react to it. So beware!

We saw a lot of Ancient White here, but that may be because everyone was excited to use her!

I went 3/0 and 2 of my fights I didn't lose a single unit, scoring first place. I was the TO and was not going to play but everyone wanted me to, so someone wouldn't have a by every round, (odd number of people). That being said, no I did not claim a dragon for first or second or Fellowship. I let the other players enjoy that.

In any case, good luck, have fun and let us know how you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Anderson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:

Do not underestimate the blind pulls, they were all good but the Druid seemed to cause the most upsets. He had a bevy of useful spells, especially for this OP.

I'd like to hear more about this. My druid went down turn two so I didn't get to use him, although I saw the potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using My white Dragon as the distraction the Call Lightning ability of my Druid as super useful. He was small and underestimated, but as his forces clumped up in the center of a map my call lighting did awesome damage to their units.

The other Druid pull had similar results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled the Ranger, and took Silence as it fit better into 30 points. Which seemed to be a good counter to the druid, keeping Call Lightning off the table until we could fill him with arrows.

I faced two Rezmir's, who seems to be overly reliant on Hellish Rebuke at 30 points. He's slow, and with a range 2 melee attack only, usually didn't make it into combat. Although I was fielding a very long range force, with Sun Elf Archers x6 backing up Talon, giving me 4/3 PWV out to range 4 from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lang
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
It brought me great joy to see more troops on the table Bobb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made me even happier to see troops on the table at the end of the game!

Granted, I didn't face any AOEs (that I didn't Silence), but the Troop really presents a nice counter to those 5+ PWV attackers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bors
msg tools
So it seems like you were somewhat reading my mind in that I did use the birdmen with the generic 5. I upgraded them with the summon wind ele and v formation. I also took Lord max, and a generic Ballista. Finally I luckily pulled Rath Mordar.
So my force looked like
Aracora 5
Summon Elemental
V formation

Lord Max
Battle Cry
Life Drain
Malignant Will

Ballista

Rath Modar
Staff of Power
Lightning Spell

In the first game I faced Nymnestra, Galadros, and the ranger. The elemental helped soften up Nymnestra. But my big surprise was the breaking of the staff of power which easily killed his dragon on a lucky roll as well and damaged his ranger. My ballista cleaned up his ranger and then killed his wizard who had to give chase after Lord Max picked up the compass. So I won that one. I would have used my lightning spell but a strategic silence ended that ability.

Second game I was against a gen. green, gen. white, Umbrelis and, the paladin. I rolled much poorer this game as my ele did 2 dmg to his white and my breaking of the staff did 2 dmg to his team and then killed my ballista. As my opponent put it his white dragon saw the explosive cloud coming towards him but he simply exhaled his breath and blew the cloud completely into my ballista which was demolished. I was able to take out his white but did little else. Time was up before we could finish but had it not he would have won anyway.

SO I came away with 1-1.

I will say that I did not get to use v formation but I have never used a troop before so that was my excuse in regards to getting the right positioning and such.. Also now that my opponents know what I will do with Rath I will have to switch things up a bit as he is quite squishy. Also I am usually pretty good with using Max with Battle Cry but each time I was too busy trying to set up both my ele and suicide bomber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome! Did you have fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kopacz
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion Vakka is too expensive to play when you only have 90 points to build your force. The generic Silver Dragon is much better for the points. Very durable and hits hard!

Fight Vakka with dragon breath that penetrates that 3 armor.
Armor is too easy to get through so I wouldn't rely on that to save you.

I won my OP2 using Generic Silver Dragon x2
They both were equipped with Cold Breath and Legendary Resistance.

I pulled the Evil Wizard in my blind but I played the named version with Staff of Power and Lightning Bolt.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with Vakka and I agree - she is expensive and also hard to manoeuvre well. However - I would still use her again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.