Subject: Is this a system that could suit other periods? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty unhappy periods of continuous war in history. Does this game create a system that could be reused for extended conflicts like the 100 years or 30 years wars, even a WWII to Vietnam story?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny
I was just thinking that a Roman theme would be great for this fighting through some of the wars of the early Empire. Being a Centurion moving up through the ranks in different Legions in Germania, Britannia etc...would be great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foster Caldaroni
United States
Warrenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this system would work great for Alexander the Greats campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Roman Empire also came to mind for me. You could even have players trying to become emperor themselves!

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sbragia
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This system might be interesting for a German soldier in the WW2, or for an UK or US soldier; or at least a sort of "Barry Lyndon" game following a gentleman career during the 7YearsWar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rumpelstilskin
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adraeth Montecuccoli wrote:
This system might be interesting for a German soldier in the WW2, or for an UK or US soldier; or at least a sort of "Barry Lyndon" game following a gentleman career during the 7YearsWar

Seconded! Especially the 7YW theme!
WW2 would be great either, but also a Great War theme seems very intersting for me! Would love to play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Jacques Moineau
msg tools
A game about the Mexican–American War + American Civil War might be interesting as well.

The players could start as young officers during the late 1840s,' fight during the Mexican–American War, then after some long (but eventful) garrison (or return to civilian life) seasons join the Union or Confederate Armies.

The fact players would belong to opposing armies might create some interesting and tense game moments. There might be a rule a bit similar to the "Comrade in Arms" one, but with this "Brother against brother" rule the players would have to fight against each other instead (or maybe ignore their opponents) if they happen to meet on the same battlefield.

For some high ranking officers (Brigadier General of above) there might be a battle matrix to determine the outcome of this "duel".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to see one (or more) of the suggestions take shape. Whatever the choice, it will involve a lot of research!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is more potential in the fantasy genre. Personally, I'd like to see this system given the Runequest treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Jacques Moineau
msg tools
The fact is you (at COA) have developed an excellent gamemasterless RPG system, which can fit to almost any time period or universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
But why would anyone want to, given that Napoleon only comes in one of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Jacques Moineau
msg tools
Blunderbuss wrote:
But why would anyone want to, given that Napoleon only comes in one of them?

Just my 2 cents:

To my opinion gamers (and people in general) like variety (they want new game themes), but, except for some rare rule addicts (I know some), they are not big fans of having to learn new game rules. So basically they want new game themes but would prefer to buy products using game engines they are already familiar with. That’s the novelty vs learning curve dilemma.

So, if you could propose some different game themes using a game engine similar to LoH they could attract LoH fans while spurring the interest of gamers who are not fans of Napoleon. Again that's just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.