C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Refer to picture 1 below.

Picture #1

1. If Track #6 was built first by player 1, can player 2 still built track #57 which points towards track #6 but is not complete.

I suppose if player 2 can later upgrade track #6 into one that connects to his track #57 while maintaining the original route of track #6, this is valid?

But player 2 can also choose to leave track #57 as it is.. is there a timeframe when he must complete his track #57 like for eg in Age of Steam where the player has to continue building on unfinished tracks each turn or lose ownership of that track.

2. If track #57 was built first by player 2, and then player 1 swings in with track #6 but pointing the out-track towards the CV hex instead of joining with track #57, is this a valid move by player 1?

Thnks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There are no rules, none at all, about complete track. This is not Age of Steam. Nobody owns track. Every player may use any and all track freely. The above builds are just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh...don't new players ever read rules anymore....

Put the Age of Steam rules in the Age of Steam box and the 1856 rules in the 1856 box...problem solved.

Sorry for the snide remarks but I've faced this question so many times when explaining 18xx games to new players face to face. Probably because in some parts of the world Age of Steam is easier to purchase than any of the 18xx games.

There seems to be a common perception problem. Age of Steam is not another 18xx style game. Different designers, completely different game mechanics with only the same theme involving railroads. The fact both use tiles only leads to confusion. The 18xx games are all (including 1825) really stock market games. Age of Steam was published long after the 18xx games were but is not a offshoot, expansion, or upgrade of the 18xx 'system'.

Maybe we have an answer as why so many new 18xx players complain about game length (ie. rule confusion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weiss
United States
Woodbridge
VA
flag msg tools
mb
Corey Hymes wrote:
Hey isn't the "OO" tile lay illegal, since no one could actually reach it with their railraod when played? I know that this was not the question, but it appears to be wrong.

That particular "OO" tile could be laid by the special power of a private company without a route connection. (I forget which company, that power is virtually never used in 1856.)

--Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corey Hymes wrote:
Hey isn't the "OO" tile lay illegal, since no one could actually reach it with their railraod when played? I know that this was not the question, but it appears to be wrong.

Hi I cannot remember whether the OO tile was laid during the course of the game or was added there when this photo was taken becoz I wanted to set up the board to ask another question.

But you are right, unless there's a special ability of a private (as mentioned by the other poster here) to lay this tile, then this is an invalid tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.