Subject: I played the game first, and then . . . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb

So I saw "A Game of Thrones" at the bookstore today, and, after having the game for a year, am now reading the book! I put it down four pages in so that I could post this question: How many people have read the book because of the game?

Or are most of you going the other way?

Or are most people, this being BGG, playing the game and forgetting this whole "reading" nonsense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably wouldn't have read the books if it wasn't for the game.

Well I bought a few AGOT ccg starters when the game first came out, played a few times then forgot about it for years. At the time never heard or seen the books and didn't care. The ccg just interested me at the time by its unique mechanics. Plus I'm a sucker for any new game.

I won the boardgame 'A Game of Thrones' at a boardgame convention this September. After now playing 6 complete 5-player games of the basic boardgame I thought I'd borrow the books from the local library. I just finished the first book and onto the second.

Not having read the books or knowing the story didn't detract at all from enjoying or playing the boardgame. Basically the AGOT game is a variant of the classic Diplomacy game with a different way of order writing. That being said I would describe the 'A Game of Thrones' boardgame as a classic in its own right. Very impressed.

I would say that fans/readers of the books are more likely to enjoy/pickup the expansions to the AGOT boardgame since they seem to add more 'storyhistorical' detail to the game, particularly the second expansion. That's an impression from somebody who has yet to play the expansions.

The boardgame has reinterested me in playing the AGOT ccg which is still in production and still going strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
The other way....

Sometimes reading the book is also quicker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the first book just before I got the game on my birthday 2 years ago. I knew I might get the game & wanted a little backstory of the world in which it is set. I had actually been contemplating reading it for some time, but being a slow reader was a little peturbed by the length. I ended up going through the first 3 books at a voracious pace (for me) before eagerly awaiting the 4th. I've just recently started re-reading them while waiting for GRRM to finish writing A Dance with Dragons.
I think knowledge of the books does help make the game more enjoyable. Not essential, but I'd definitely recommend the books anyway. For me, the closest any books have come to rivalling my Lord of the Rings obsession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had heard of the books before I played the game, but the game came first for me. Now if Melissa would find our copy of the third book I could then finish them shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiNOS wrote:
Sometimes reading the book is also quicker

At nearly 800 pages for the (thinner) first book, this is saying something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And 11 hours for just one game (that's what happens if you have 2 slow palyers together, we usually have one) is really long....

Unfortunately i didn't have a chance to play again after this disastrous game but just for info, all of the people that have palyed the game with the same actual copy (around 10-12 people) durong the last 2 years, have read the books first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too played the game (several times) before picking up the book(s). It definately does put more of the game in context, and provides me some basis for knowing the characters, but it not necessary to play and enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently did the same thing. I think familiarity with the characters and the story greatly increases how much fun is had in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to read it because of the game and the people who tell me I should read it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the books before I played the CCG ... but I heard that a CCG was going to be made, so I went and found the books before it came out. I spent a bunch of money on the CCG before I got sick of it, but the boardgame I probably won't get sick of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard about the books because of the game. I now own the game but haven't played it yet, but I'm about a third of a way through A Feast for Crows. Hopefully the game is as good as the books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm on the bought game then bought books list.

But I have to say The Song Of Fire And Ice cycle is pretty much an epic work of fiction. I'm almost through Feast For Crows and the stuff that's happened to those poor Stark kids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the books long before I played the game. I started reading the series just before the third book came out. I enjoy both the books and the game immensely.

As to the 11-hour game that ZiNOS mentioned, I have to say that I've never had a game last even close to that long, and we tend to play games slowly. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, and I hope you can manage to give it another try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the books first (only two or three were out at the time), then tried the boardgame at a convention because I had enjoyed the books and the bits looked pretty cool. Both the game and the books are now among my favorites (even though I was Lannister on my first game and got completely crushed!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The people who caused your game to last 11 hours should be hurt physically. Pain WILL help speed their play.

Slow players have no reason to be allowed to live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I played the CCG a ton (e.g., local tourneys) before reading the books. I read the books to give the CCG more atmosphere; otherwise, I will let a series finish before I start reading it.

I like the boardgame, but, like most boardgames, the atmosphere is kinda bland that there is nothing visceral in the experience wrt theme even after I read the books.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is that we really want to play again the game but always somebody comes out and says "Remember the 11 hours"?

Well we are going to play tha game again sometime, hopefully with the expansions, but for the time being, since i constantly buy new games and the memory of the 11 hours is still fresh, we are going to play other games...lighter and quicker (SoE is coming on Saturday blush )

Anyway...read the books and after you crave for more, start reading the Ericksson books.... i hope we will get a boardgame for them also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game first, then later read the books. (Because of the overwhelmingly positive things I heard about them. I dallied originally, because I'm not entirely fond of books that require series... first is always the best!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing the game about a year and a half ago. I fell in love with it and it has become my favourite boardgame. I loved the boardgame sooo much I started reading the books. Sadly I hadn't read a book in 15 years but after starting the first book I was hooked and have finished all 4 and can't wait for the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A El-Nowehy
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for a Diplomacy type of game when I stumbled over AGoT. I bought the game then I got interested in the books and read all four of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.