Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Ankur Gupta
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked around on BGG quite a lot, and I'm trying to develop a small collection of good games that will last a long time. I'd like to ask for specific help on what I've got versus future buys. The general information on BGG has helped me as much as I can figure by this point, so I'm hoping for "Rubia-centric" help. Perhaps some idea of my goals/tendencies in buying would be helpful to you folks.

I'm not prone to impulse buys, and I want to try to have a range of games from heavy to light. I strongly dislike war games, aside from Risk. It's important to me that players be able to play for the large majority of the game, that the rules footprint should not be huge, and the shorter the game, the better. Games with a growing climax or some impending event are also fun. (Through the Desert has that feeling with the progressively diminishing camel piles, for instance.) I also don't want games to "feel" the same; maybe I'd like to have the "best" or a "good" incarnation of a given set of mechanics and call it done.

Also, I have recently gotten engaged, so one of my goals is to choose games that work well with 2 players or 4 players. My fiancee has not been exposed to games before me, so I want to try to ease her into things as well. Overwhelming her is certainly a possibility. I'm trying to avoid buying tons of games that she won't like, but I unfortunately have no background to figure out what she would like.

To this end, I have rated several games in my profile and indicated some others in my wishlist that seem like they'd qualify under some of the criterion above. Could I get some suggestions on which games I should try first? I'm hoping that my views on certain games will help with informed suggestions. An ordering of the games in the wishlist (along with any other games I may have missed) would be most appreciated. Here's a list of the games in my wishlist:

Black Box
Blue Moon (likely not immediately, seems too complex at the start)
Blue Moon City
Hey, That's My Fish!
Hive
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition
Lost Cities
Mykerinos
Paradice (mainly because it looks cool, though)
Phoenix
Reef Encounter

Also, I have already purchased, but not yet played:

Caylus
Mystery in the Abbey
Taj Mahal

I'm not sure if this kind of post is kosher around here (because it's a "help me specifically, I'm drowning" kind of post); if it's not, I apologize in advance.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rubia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I'm not sure you fully understand the implications of this small part of your statement above:

Quote:
Also, I have recently gotten engaged

Speaking as a married man, I present the following advice with complete sobriety and sincerity -- buy absolutely every one of the games you have on that list prior to getting married, and a few more once those have arrived. Very soon what you currently call "my money" is going to start being called "our money" and your game-buying options will become extremely limited.

Now don't panic -- you're in a sweet spot here, and there's still time. She's invested time, emotion, and likely a bit of money in you and can't afford to drop you (or chase you off) and start over with some new guy off the street, especially over something as mundane as a board game. She has no choice but to be quiet about your purchases until you've sealed the deal. Note that this effect becomes even greater once the wedding invitations have gone out.

So the time is NOW!

This "my money"/"our money" effect won't wear off until about the tenth year of marriage, so you need to have a backlog of new games to carry you through this very hard, very trying decade of your life. And God help you if you have kids!

If nothing else be sure to land the expensive ones.

So go man! Go now! I implore you to go out and purchase before it's too late!

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ankur Gupta
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
I'm not sure you fully understand the implications of this small part of your statement above:

Quote:

Speaking as a married man, I present the following advice with complete sobriety and sincerity -- buy absolutely every one of the games you have on that list prior to getting married, and a few more once those have arrived. Very soon what you currently call "my money" is going to start being called "our money" and your game-buying options will become extremely limited.

So the time is NOW!

Sag.

Egads! I had no idea. I certainly didn't expect this response, but Sag, your words seem to ring true. . . . What should I do??!?!? It's good to know that we have people looking out for one another here. Still, which games would you suggest? An added consideration seems to be "most expensive possible".

Rubia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I have recently been enjoying Power Grid (heavy), Cleopatra and the Society of Architects (medium), and Through the Desert (light). I recommend all three.

The timing on BattleLore will be interesting -- not released yet and depending on the date of your nuptials could be out of reach. It looks nice, but is a bit war-ish in nature.

If you want to try to get your bride interested as well, the standard response is Lost Cities but I would add Queen's Necklace as well, a personal favorite of mine. Out of Print but available on the net if you look around a bit. Cleopatra above is a nice choice as well, but of course you'll have to consider her tastes.

In spite of my rant above, my wife is very good about my game purchases. But this is partly because she has a hobby herself (quilting) which chews up a few dollars each week, so we both have our minor vice. I recommend that if your wife is not interested in games that you encourage her to find an "equivalent" hobby so that she better understands your use of the money. Short of buying 50 games a year it really isn't all that expensive.

And if she doesn't go for it tell her it's boardgaming or a motorcycle. A fast one.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    buy absolutely every one of the games you have on that list prior to getting married, and a few more once those have arrived. Very soon what you currently call "my money" is going to start being called "our money" and your game-buying options will become extremely limited.

Sag.

hahahahaa.... now that's hilarious!!! Very funny Sag, thanks for the laugh!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you expressed a desire in fast games in which everyone is always involved, I suggest No Thanks!. It won't work for 2, but for 4, it's a great fast, light game. It's also extremely simple. Take a look.

Secondly, what sort of experience has your fiance had with games before? Has she played Rummy? Hearts? Backgammon? Monopoly? Checkers? Pachisi? You might want to pick some games with similar mechanics to use as introductory games. Tichu for trick-taking; the Gipf series for abstracts; That's Life! for roll-and-move games; the Mystery Rummy series for, er, rummy. There are many other examples, and I'm sure that if you ask about designer games which are easy to introduce to a fan of a particular mainstream game you will get many responses.

You might also consider some almost-mainstream games like Crokinole, which leads handily to Carabande. They're a couple of expensive games, too, which, if you're worried about future curtailing of hobby spending, you may want to pick up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubia wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Quote:

So the time is NOW!

Sag.

Egads! I had no idea. I certainly didn't expect this response, but Sag, your words seem to ring true. . . . What should I do??!?!? It's good to know that we have people looking out for one another here. Still, which games would you suggest? An added consideration seems to be "most expensive possible".

Rubia

I have to agree and disagree. As a married man, it's not that you are giving up your money and can't buy games, it's that the priority for money becomes the household. Now, IF you end up with a sizable disposible income, that changes again. So, really if you don't buy a home and car that taxes your resources, you may still have some of your money. Then again, your wife and you both have to value disposible income over expense home and car and gadgets.

BUT, really I have to also agree buy now!!!! You relly don't know how it will play out.

But, after 13 years of marriage, I will caution you. Don't try to make your fiance like games. Either she does or she doesn't. If you try and force it on her, you might find an anti-gaming backlash. You migth want to get her use to you have some gaming time with friends and trade her time with her friends. Set it up where you will have gaming time wheter she plays or not. If you tie it into her playing with you, you may find she hates it and you don't get to play. (seen the backlash with a lot of friends). My wife almost got there and we now agree that she doesn't have to play. She buys shoes and I make her feel better about spending money n shoes by buying games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a married man, I'm glad we've kept separate finances on top of our joint account. This way we can both flit away money on our own weaknesses - within reason of course. But that's not the point of this post - Kahuna is.

Kahuna is a fun little game. You need a bit of sideways thinking and a bit of luck but after you jump into the first game you'll both quickly grasp the point and be fighting over Jojo and Coco. Well, at least we were...

Plus: Relatively cheap and built for two. Playable in under 30 minutes.
Cons: It's an abstract that will force some conflict and does rely on luck (which some people don't like - not me though).

If you get Phoenix let me know how it goes, it's on my wishlist. Also, Carcassonne was a disaster for us. I like it, she doesn't see the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
buy absolutely every one of the games you have on that list prior to getting married, and a few more once those have arrived.
This is funny, of course, and probably is good advice as far as it goes.

But I'm going to actually give the opposite advice - wait until you know your fiance's taste in games before you buy a bunch more. Unless you think you'll be able to readily play them with others besides her.

See how she likes the ones you have first, such as Through the Desert and Carc:H&G. Using me as an example, I loved Reef Encounter but my wife didn't. Same would be true for Taj Mahal, Blue Moon games on your list.

"Weight" is also an issue - if your fiance is a "nongamer" then even something like Mykerinos might give her a bad first impression; this is to be avoided at all costs if you want a future of gaming with her. Find out if there is any game she has ever enjoyed, buy that, and play it for starters.

If you have to buy something now, get Lost Cities. However, many gamers have reported their spouses getting annoyed even with this game - "You mean the whole time you had those red cards I needed?!?!" As far as gaming goes, you have not yet even asked her out for a first date.
Tread cautiously, my friend.

Aside from fiance concerns: From your profile, it seems you fit nicely into the euro gamer category, so you could pretty much take the BGG ratings as a general guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ankur Gupta
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

And if she doesn't go for it tell her it's boardgaming or a motorcycle. A fast one.

Words to live by, I believe. Words to live by.

Rubia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ankur Gupta
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

But, after 13 years of marriage, I will caution you. Don't try to make your fiance like games. Either she does or she doesn't. If you try and force it on her, you might find an anti-gaming backlash. You migth want to get her use to you have some gaming time with friends and trade her time with her friends. Set it up where you will have gaming time wheter she plays or not. If you tie it into her playing with you, you may find she hates it and you don't get to play. (seen the backlash with a lot of friends). My wife almost got there and we now agree that she doesn't have to play. She buys shoes and I make her feel better about spending money n shoes by buying games.

Yeah, I'm not really here with the mind of "forcing" my fiancee to like games, more just trying to pick games that will give her a feel for this hobby that I enjoy. Maybe she won't like it, and I'll cry myself to sleep every night with big silver dollar-sized tears. Maybe she'll really enjoy it, and that would be great! But ultimately, I simply want to find things that she'll enjoy doing, regardless of whether or not the game thing works out.

That's one of the reasons I think it's pretty important to choose the "right" games to start off with. Her experience with games has almost completely been card-game related (and by this, I mean regular 52-card deck card games), so exposure is limited. Almost every mechanic will be new.

So far though, your (and by "your" I mean everyone's) suggestions have been helpful! I've identified at least another game or two that are worth considering.

Rubia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ankur Gupta
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:

Aside from fiance concerns: From your profile, it seems you fit nicely into the euro gamer category, so you could pretty much take the BGG ratings as a general guide.

This is helpful, because I didn't know what sort of person I could be classified as before. For instance I like the well-known Euros because they have strong game mechanics, not because they're Euros. (To wit, I discovered the term Euro *after* I had chosen some games I enjoyed.) However, I have little patience for bad games, be they Euro or not. Mainly, I like strategy and having fun when playing games. What I tend to disagree with on the "me loves Euros" front is that many people seem to blindly play Euros even when it's clear that they're not having any fun doing so. Why they do that boggles my mind. . . .

Anyway, I hope the above doesn't cause some sort of pitchfork-based flame war with olive oil and a little garnish, because disappointingly enough, I'm not very tasty.
And, I didn't mean to.

Rubia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just skimmed through...but my wife and I love playing the following (most with just 2 players, though a few we've gotten to play with more):

Carcassone (+ LOTS of expansions!)
Ticket to Ride Marklin Edition
Trias

We'd both highly recommend all of them.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pathagobi wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
buy absolutely every one of the games you have on that list prior to getting married, and a few more once those have arrived. Very soon what you currently call "my money" is going to start being called "our money" and your game-buying options will become extremely limited.

Sag.

hahahahaa.... now that's hilarious!!! Very funny Sag, thanks for the laugh!!!

You're single, right?

/*wipes a tear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.