Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend's kid brother enjoys board games and computer games.

At the moment all he knows is Risk which he likes. I would like to get him a game that is similar to Risk being conflict based, but has a bit more to it and doesnt take ages!! He is pretty intelligent but I don't want it too over the top.

All suggestions welcome please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Drew
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Xmas present for 11 year old boy - recommendation please
Battlelore might be a fun one for him. I think I would have loved it at 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if the fantasy theme turns him off.... Memoir 44.

You may want to look into one of the Axis & Allies games too

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Heroscape? I believe it's very popular with that age group, though I haven't tried it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Szabo
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Though it is not a board-game. Killer Bunnies is a good choice. My son loves it. It's simple and amusing. It's expandable and non-collectible.
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
11 years old is an interesting age... our's is 10 and will be 11 in a few months so I'll speak about the type of games he enjoys most.

At that age I'd say in general they "get" much of the strategic/tactical elements of most games but they still don't always evaluate everything as precisely as adult "gamers". They have generally less AP which is a good thing. I can play games with him and decisions don't take forever and the games move along quickly.

Conflict games are IN.

Games like Heroscape, Memoir'44 and Battle Cry are good choices. Any games with relatively simple rules and that have miniatures, warfare, death and destruction.

Other good game along these lines would be Nexus Ops.

He also enjoys Settlers (as there's trading, stealing of resources and a lot of interaction to keep him amused and attentive), LOTR:The Confrontation (killing + miniatures), Domaine (miniatures).

Citadels and Colossal Arena are also 2 more card/boardgames that should appeal to most boys in that age group.

Our boy also likes Carcassonne and it's variants... again I think it might be the free form style of the game allowing him to place tiles where he pleases (and also the opportunities to screw up the plans of other players).

Some others that he's played and at least expressed interest in playing again are: Wallenstein, Tikal, Samurai, Tycoon and Wyatt Earp. Those aren't his favorites but they are games he likes somewhat and will play if in the right mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RCTurner wrote:
At the moment all he knows is Risk which he likes. I would like to get him a game that is similar to Risk being conflict based, but has a bit more to it and doesnt take ages!! He is pretty intelligent but I don't want it too over the top.

Nexus Ops would be perfect. Its similar to Risk, but much quicker to play and much more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if he likes risk, then move him up to the next level with Viktory II. next year move him up another level with something like Hammer of the Scots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely consider Nexus Ops.

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RCTurner wrote:
My girlfriend's kid brother enjoys board games and computer games.

All suggestions welcome please.

First how many players does he usually play RISK with? You want your game to get to the table so if he usually playes with 3-5 players several of the games mentioned will not work

Memoir '44 is the most like risk, but only plays 2 players, unless you get 2 boards for the "overlord game" but that then takes away the "doesn't take ages" requirement.

Heroscape is best with 2-players IMHO but also plays with 3, or 4 if you get just one master set... PLUS it is Expandable!! It is a dice fest just like risk but the bits are WAY Better!

Are there any games in your collection he has played and liked? If you have not played some of the games in your collection with him that might be a great place to start.

Some others he might like...
Ticket to Ride - not as much conflict but still fun and a game he might be able ti get his non-gamer buddies to play - everyone likes trains! 2 or more players.

Power Grid - some conflict, a little take that, resource management, auctions. lots of new things, If he has played Settlers and liked it I think this would be a very good choice. Minimum of 3 players IMHO, but can be played with two.

BUS - an often overlooked game that has no luck at all, it is all strategy. Fairly good conflict and take that elements. minimum of 3 players.

Silk Road - The best "new game" I have played in a while. Several very interesting mechanics, resource management, auctions, a good amount of "take that". Minimum of 3 players.

Best of luck
JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the recommendations above. A couple to add--

If he wants still more Risk-types, try Risk 2210 A.D. or Risk Lord of the Rings - much better than the original Risk.

Also Axis and Allies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave my younger cousin (age 10) Travel Blokus and Carcassonne:Hunters and Gatherers as a gift. He liked both, but played Travel Blokus much more (almost everyday) as he could bring it to school and play with a friend during lunch. Not sure if he ever really played C:H&G any time other than when I was visiting and played it with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 11, and we have recently started hosting game nights for a bunch of his friends. Three of the most popular games for this specific demographic (11yo boys) are
1. Guillotine
2. Pirate's Cove
3. Kung Fu Fighting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to second the following:

1. Nexus Ops
2. Viktory II
3. memoir '44
4. battle lore (from the looks of it)
5. heroscape

Heroscape, imo, is a really pretty game that turns into a boring dicefest, generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely go for Heroscape. It is perfect for a boy that age.

Nexus Ops wouldn't be a bad choice either though. I do believe Heroscape will give you way more bang for your buck though. The amount of goober in Heroscape far outwieghs that of Nexus Ops, although they both have truckloads of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get Nexus Ops for 20 bucks, then it compares favorably with Heroscape in terms of value. It's a much better game in terms of playability and number of players it supports too.

Heroscape is definitely fun, and an 11-year-old would probably find it a total blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
How about Heroscape? I believe it's very popular with that age group, though I haven't tried it myself.

I second(?) the nomination for heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape is a good choice, but might be too expensive.
Pirate's Cove would be great and is requested more than anything else by the kids.
Monsters Menace America has some fun conflict too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
Heroscape is a good choice, but might be too expensive.
Pirate's Cove would be great and is requested more than anything else by the kids.
Monsters Menace America has some fun conflict too.

I believe Heroscape costs the same as the other two you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to answer.

Some good ideas there. I hadnt though of Heroscape which is probably a good idea. I havent heard of Nexus Ops before. Will have a look.

Warfare is probably the best theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape!! I play with my 12 y/o all the time. He really likes the game but I like it more than he does. It has an eclectic mix genres (sci-fi, fantasy, modern, near future)and is fairly easy to learn. The best part is you can buy it at Wal-Mart and it is expandable not collectible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better make this one a good one. Isn't the traditional gift for a 12 year-old boy a hooker and a six pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first three suggestions would all be "Heroscape". Shouted at the top of my voice in case you missed it. Available in Argos in the Autumn/Winter '06 catalogue.

If you think that the fantasy/sci-fi/historical/Wild West/robot theme might put him off, try Memoir '44 (or start saving for BattleLore, available next month).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
Definitely consider Nexus Ops.

--Chris

Ditto for Nexus Ops and Ninja Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.