Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions on Spell Damage:

1) When rolling an attack that hits all characters in a hex and adjacent hexes (e.g., Maggie's Fire Blast, Byron's Earthquake) how many times do you roll the dice? I've been rolling the dice once per character so the rolls tend to average out rather than a lucky roll decimating someone or an unlucky roll making it so the attacker doesn't damage anything.

2) Does Accuracy affect all of the rolls caused by a single spell, all the rolls against a single hex, or only one of the rolls? For example, Maggie's Fire Blast rolls 3 attack dice against one hex and 2 attack dice against adjacent hexes. Would I roll 4 dice and 3 dice or how would this work?

EDIT: Removed one question. After re-reading, I discovered the Strong Attack doesn't work on spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the game's supposed to work, you should make one roll against all and everybody present on target hexes. Luck-dependent as that might be, well, it's a dice-base game, how can you expect it not be luck-dependent? Also, the feeling when you roll a couple lucky crits against those dogs-and-towers-infested hexes is priceless.

That being said, I cannot fathom an answer to your second question, though I suppose you're correct; but I'll sure be glad to read an official statement too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming Together
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. As Artur said, when you are attacking multiple units you do it with a single roll.

However I have seen the game being played the way you described it (with a different roll for each character), and I do consider it an interesting varient which is not frowned upon. It certainly makes thoses two spells you mentioned way more "safe" (thus powerful).

2. Accuracy works in one of the rolls. For example if you cast a full Fireball (with 3 cards), you would roll 7 dice to damage the opponent and 1 dice for the burn damage.
In this situation you could choose either to roll 8 dice (and keep the 7 best) for the damage and one for the burn damage
or
7 dice fore the damage and 2 (from which you would keep the highest) for the burn damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't occur to me to use two dice for the burn, and although that was not precisely what's been asked, I'd extrapolate that if using Accuracy with the Fire Blast spell, you'd either roll 3+1 dice against central hex and 2 against the adjacent ones, or, appriopriately, 3 and 2+1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses!

I think clarification by example might be the best:

Byron's Earthquake: This spell does 2 attack to Byron's hex and all adjacent hexes. Does that mean I roll once and compare the result against all characters in both the current hex and adjacent hexes?

If I use accuracy on Byron's Earthquake, then I roll 3 dice and keep the best 2 rolls versus all hexes?

Magie's Fire Blast: This spell rolls 3 dice against a target hex. Then I have to roll 2 dice against an adjacent hexes. This requires 2 rolls.

If I use accuracy on Magie's Fire Blast, I have to decide whether I roll 4 dice against the target hex (keeping the top 3 rolls) and 2 dice against the adjacent hexes OR 3 dice against the target hex and 3 dice against adjacent hexes (keeping the top 2 rolls). Is that correct?

-----

If my interpretations are correct, this seems slightly inconsistent as Earthquake benefits more from accuracy than Fire Blast. I think a nice way to handle this would be the middle ground. Each individual hex with enemy characters/buildings is rolled for individually. Accuracy can be used to increase the roll against ONE of the hexes. This is more streamlined than rolling against each character individually and more consistent when using Accuracy than the examples above.

-----

Like Artur, I didn't realize you could use accuracy on Burn/Stun/Brain Damage. That is an interesting and useful tidbit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming Together
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vydar wrote:
Thank you for the responses!

I think clarification by example might be the best:

Byron's Earthquake: This spell does 2 attack to Byron's hex and all adjacent hexes. Does that mean I roll once and compare the result against all characters in both the current hex and adjacent hexes?

You roll once and then compare the result with each character. This way it's much more streamlined and thematically makes much better sense cool
Vydar wrote:

If I use accuracy on Byron's Earthquake, then I roll 3 dice and keep the best 2 rolls versus all hexes?

Exactly
Vydar wrote:

Magie's Fire Blast: This spell rolls 3 dice against a target hex. Then I have to roll 2 dice against an adjacent hexes. This requires 2 rolls.

Correct, again.
Vydar wrote:

If I use accuracy on Magie's Fire Blast, I have to decide whether I roll 4 dice against the target hex (keeping the top 3 rolls) and 2 dice against the adjacent hexes OR 3 dice against the target hex and 3 dice against adjacent hexes (keeping the top 2 rolls). Is that correct?

Exactly
-----
Vydar wrote:

If my interpretations are correct, this seems slightly inconsistent as Earthquake benefits more from accuracy than Fire Blast. I think a nice way to handle this would be the middle ground. Each individual hex with enemy characters/buildings is rolled for individually. Accuracy can be used to increase the roll against ONE of the hexes. This is more streamlined than rolling against each character individually and more consistent when using Accuracy than the examples above.

Byron's Earthquake indeed benefits more from the accuracy, but he has no Accuracy cards in his deck meeple

-----
Vydar wrote:

Like Artur, I didn't realize you could use accuracy on Burn/Stun/Brain Damage. That is an interesting and useful tidbit.

I hope you will use it wisely sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.