Subject: Better than the original film? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a recent article about film remakes. Since most remakes are worse than the original film, the author lists the handful of films he thinks were better than the original. Since I haven't seen both versions of any of these films, I can't really comment on any of them. What do you think of these picks? Any you'd add?

War of the Worlds
Ocean's Eleven
The Thing
Cape Fear
Shaft
Scarface
The Omen
The Fly
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Worlds- As good as the original. Take that for what it says, given that there is 40 years between the two films.
Ocean's Eleven- Much better than the original.
The Thing- No comparison, the remake was far and away a better film. One of my all time favorites.
Cape Fear- I've only seen the remake, so "No Comment."
Shaft- Only seen the original, so once again "No Comment."
Scarface- " "
The Omen- " "
The Fly- The remake was so much better than the goofball original. Cronenberg is the master of gross out flicks.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers- There have been two remakes of this film. The first remake with Donald Sutherland was the best. The second remake with Gabrielle Anwar was a "SciFi channel original" at best.

There's my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Worlds? Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds?

The original is much better, if only because there's actors in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
War of the Worlds? Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds?

The original is much better, if only because there's actors in it.

Have you actually seen Cruise's version? Leave behind the fact that its Tom Cruise and you will see some of the best acting of a below-average guy thrown into a wretched world ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
War of the Worlds: Original is pretty crappy. Remake doesn't bring much to the table, though. It could be argued that the book or the radio show are the real originals and I like both better than the movies. It's the sort of story that needs to leave something to the imagination...

Ocean's Eleven: The remake is a better movie all the way down the line. But the original has a pardoxical "cheezy cool" to it that the remake doesn't have.

The Thing: Remake is one of my favorite movies. I haven't seen the original (I guess I should!).

Cape Fear: A toss up, in my opinion. Both are great movies.

Shaft: Haven't seen the remake. The original certainly has bits that need to be watched just for the cultural reference value.

Scarface: Like Cape Fear, original and remake are both great movies. A toss up. Both are worth watching (if you have a strong stomach).

The Omen: Haven't seen the remake. The original is worth watching.

The Fly: Remake clearly better. Original gets props for introducing the concept.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers: I prefer the original. Donald Sutherland remake is definitely worth seeing, though.

What, no mention of "The Wiz"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grudge - waaay better than Ju-on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thing and The Fly, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
There's a remake of Scarface? Who's in it? Or is the Pacino version a remake of an older film?

The only title here I've seen both versions of is The Thing, and John Carpenter's version is MUCH better. Aside from the gore (which I could do without), it captures the atmosphere of their isolation and paranoia PERFECTLY. It's one of the best horror flicks I've ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add 'The Thomas Crown Affair'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
War of the Worlds
Ocean's Eleven
The Thing
Cape Fear
Shaft
Scarface
The Omen
The Fly
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

WOTW I actually quite liked, in spite of the fact that it has a couple things going against it: Tom Cruise, and a completely implausible, ridiculous ending that pissed the hell out of me. I'll go with others and say the book is superior to any movie version (including a homebrew British version based exclusively on the novella).

Ocean's 11 is Soderbergh (I'm a big fan of his), and is probably better than the original, although it doesn't have the cool of the Rat Pack.

The Thing remake is far and away superior.

Cape Fear: No way is the remake better. DeNiro in all hammy glory versus brooding Robert Mitchum? Are you serious?

Shaft: Again, are you serious? There's something to be said for Samuel L, but Christian Bale doing his best American Psycho all over again is sort of a waste of screen time. Way better to have the full-on blaxploitation of the original -- which has great lines like this:

"I love you, Shaft."
"I know, baby."

Scarface: Seen only the Pacino version.
The Omen: Seen only the original, although I read a few reviews of the remake and decided to skip it. Not that either version isn't a campfest, though.
The Fly: Seen only the Cronenberg version. (Not a fan of Cronenberg, though.)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers: I'd say a tie between the original and the first remake, because sort of like the Dawn of the Dead movies, they're commenting on different things. The original was making a larger point about McCarthyism, and the remake, if I remember right, was talking about 70s paranoia. But it's been a really long time since I've seen either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Solaris
Dawn of the Dead
Red Dragon( I liked the original)
The Lady Killers
Payback
House on Haunted Hill
Thirteen Ghosts
Island of Dr. Moreau
The Hills have Eyes

And my Favs:

King Kong (70's one)
Little Shop of Horrors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
There's a remake of Scarface? Who's in it? Or is the Pacino version a remake of an older film?

The Pacino version is the remake. The original is old, about gangsters with tommyguns I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
12 Monkeys - Many will say that La Jetée is better, I do prefer 12 Monkeys.

The Thing ... as mentioned above.

Frankenstein - Kenneth Branagh directing, 1994... faithful to the text and not cheesy horror.

Nominations for the worst remakes: City of Angels (Wings of Desire) & Manchurian Candidate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Verkisto wrote:

The original is a '30s Howard Hawks movie. Very violent for it's time (well, movies overall got *less* violent in the '40s and '50s). Great direction. An awesome lead performance by Paul Muni.

MWChapel wrote:
And my Favs:

King Kong (70's one)

Heh. I really like that version, too. It really seemed to get a bum rap during the runup to Peter Jackson's King Kong. I also like Peter Jackson's version and the original. Hard to screw that story up, I guess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
The hands-down best version of War of the Worlds is the rock opera-ish audio version by Jeff Wayne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Worlds -- I prefer the original. The new one was just boring. The acting was fine, but the story just didn't have the right pace.

The Thing -- it is really hard to compare these two. I love the original. Great, campy, horror film that I will watch anytime. The remake is a direct, great, rendition of the original story, "Who Goes There."

Fun with Dick and Jane -- the original is much funnier. I liked the remake, but the original is far funnier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am confused. Which "The Thing" is the original and which is the remake?

I see several in the imdb. So "The Thing" Directed by John Carpenter in 1982, is that the original or the remake? Ah, the comments say "Remake of the classic 1951 "The Thing From Another World"" So I guess this is the remake. I saw this one and thought it was very effective.

What is the 2002 entry with almost no information in imdb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
sbabcock wrote:
What is the 2002 entry with almost no information in imdb?

A video game.

I had it in my head (maybe you did too) that there was a more modern remake of this movie, but evidently there was not.

Edit: I bet I was thinking of "The Fog"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The original is the "The Thing from Another World." This is loosely based on "Who Goes There" by Campbell. The 1982 is John Carpenter and follows the orignal quite well. I don't really consider the two films as remakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:

Nominations for the worst remakes: City of Angels (Wings of Desire)

City of Angles was a cheese-fest, but it looked so damn beautiful. Probably cliche-ridden on the visuals too, with my cynical hat on, but all the same some of those shots of the beach and of the city from the strange perspectives took my breath away.

Admittedly, I haven't seen Wings of Desire, and I have a soft spot for Meg blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
City of Angles was a cheese-fest, but it looked so damn beautiful. Probably cliche-ridden on the visuals too, with my cynical hat on, but all the same some of those shots of the beach and of the city from the strange perspectives took my breath away.

Admittedly, I haven't seen Wings of Desire, and I have a soft spot for Meg

Well... I think Wings of Desire is near perfect filmmaking and Wenders a great director. I did not think the film deserved the remake (essentially the dumbed-down for US market Hollywood version) when it should have simply stood on its own. I will admit that the cinematography in City was cool - and that being the best think about it. Wings of Desire was so damn beautiful, had better dialog (essentially poetry throughout), better acting, a fantastic soundtrack (one of my favs) and all this without the cheese or Nick Cage.

Watch the original and get back to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
12 Monkeys - Many will say that La Jetée is better, I do prefer 12 Monkeys.

The Thing ... as mentioned above.

Frankenstein - Kenneth Branagh directing, 1994... faithful to the text and not cheesy horror.

Nominations for the worst remakes: City of Angels (Wings of Desire) & Manchurian Candidate.

Wings of Desire is even better if you speak German. Some of the comic relief comes off better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you guys think about The Vanishing remake? I haven't seen the US version, but I don't see how you could improve on the Dutch one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
What do you think of these picks? Any you'd add?

War of the Worlds - I prefer the original.

Ocean's Eleven - I very much prefer the original.

The Thing - Haha, there was an original? I'm sure that other one should be called The Walking Vegetable Thing. The Thing is one of my favorite movies. Carpenter did an outstanding job of not only making an excellent movie, but one of the few that actually stuck close to the original written story.

As for the others I've only seen one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
What do you guys think about The Vanishing remake? I haven't seen the US version, but I don't see how you could improve on the Dutch one.

I was just thinking about that one when I read the original post. I haven't seen the U.S. version either, but the Dutch version was very well done. For those interested, here's the IMDB link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096163/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.