Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] [View All]
Gary Krockover
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I posted on "X-treme Gamer", might get a better response here:

Ok, with the release of the movie "Flags of our Fathers" and several documentaries on the battle of Iwo Jima, I got the itch to simulate this epic battle. Looking at BGG.com didn't reveal much (at least not with the name "Iwo Jima" in it). There's a S&T game from the 80's that I had at one time. I think that I'm looking for something a bit more detailed.

So question, is this battle covered in anything worthwhile? I'm wanting to cover the entire island, not a squad or platoon level game.

If there isn't such a game (surprisinglly), I'd perhaps look into making my own, using VASSAL. I can come up with OOB's and the map (already found great resources on that), what I'd need is a gaming system to model it after. Is there a system that would fit the scale of this battle? Preferabally from a company that has the "living rules" available. The idea would be to create the module and submit it to that publisher for their evaluation. If they turn it down, no biggie, I play it alone. If they like it, I get rich and famous

I looked at The Gamers' TCS but I think that the scale is too small. At 125 yds per hex, I measured that the map would be about 76 hexes tall (not counting the surrounding waters) which is pretty large. Something at about 4-500 yards per hex would be perfect I think.

Any suggestions from anybody? TIA!

Edit: Thinking on it overnight, a level of about 250 yds/hex might be even better actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathirtle wrote:
Unless you awarded the Japanese player a LOT of victory points for killing John Wayne.

LOL

I too did a search and came up with similar results, so I am interested in any insight which may come this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Krockover
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing some research on the battle, I think there's some interesting choices that the Japanese (and American) player can face. FWIU, the Japanese let the Americans land and then opened up while they were stacked on the beaches. That would be a choice that they could make. Also of interest was the abandoning of the defensive positions on Mt. Suribachi. Again, FWIU, water supply for the Japanese was critically low. When the Americans cut off the island at the base of the mountain, I assume that the Japanese used the caves to pull out of that area to make a defensive stand on the northern end of the island. So besides the options of where to land (U.S.) and where/how to defend, you have these other variables that were somewhat unique to the battle.

I could see penalizing the American player for not keeping a timeline by achieving objectives in a timely manner while keeping casualties as low as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
GJK - I already emailed you this, but - Strategy and Tactics released a solitaire Iwo came in the 1980s of which I have a copy. It was company level, I think, and solitaire (the Japanese really have little to do in any event, so it was from the USMC perspective). Can't really say it was all that fun to play. Giving the Japanese player a seat at the table, so to speak, would probably introduce a lot of cave-type rules in order for him to shift his forces. Interesting idea but maybe why no one had really tackled this before?

EDIT - I see the S&T game mentioned already...HUH. Well, can't offer more than that - except for Critical Hit's ASL treatment... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play Panzer Leader, you may want to track down a copy of this BGG entry:

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/12916

Called "Suribachi", it highlights the fighting on Iwo Jima. By the looks of it, you may get enough maps to cover the island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.