Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two of us played our first game of Drakon last night. As the rules are so simple to start we dove right into the advanced rules, I picked the Wizard and she picked the Amazon. We dove off into 2 different directions and the play was very methodical and rather boring. We'd play a room as one action, move into the room as the next action, play a room, repeat.

At about 10 minutes into the game she had 6 tiles in her hand to my 2 (due to 2 map rooms) but I had drawn and placed a coin room and a 'steal a coin' room right next to eachother. A floating room brought me back to the start so I could run through the 'grab a coin/steal a coin' gauntlet again, and the Wizards movement special ability let me go back into the coin room a third time for the win. At the end of the game I had a total of 5 coins to her 0 and we were both left with a 'that's it?' feeling.

My initial thought is that this will play a lot better with 3+. I seriously don't see how anyone could get the alleged 45 minutes out of the game, which isn't a bad thing if you just classify this as filler. I don't really see how it could be anything more. I'll try it again with a bigger group in the future, but I am rather disappointed. The game has great production value and a lot of work obviously went into details, but the play itself just doesn't seem to live up to expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night as well and had similar results, created a loop for stealing and getting a coin. Ran the loop a few times and won. I also belive that this will play best with many players(or at least more than 2 ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I want to say I like this game and enjoy pulling it out. But did run into a problem similar to mentioned here. In a 4 player game someone was able to get a key room next to a gold room with arrow pointing toward the key room. So from the key room they just went into the gold room and then back into the key room and repeated. The only way to fight this is with mind control or maybe destroy tile, but no one had one to play. This only happened once in our game, maybe because after that we each decided on our own not to do the same thing, because that particular session was disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis-David Plourde
Canada
Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I said the first time I play the game but I think what we should do also is to place tiles in order to block other players before they make the winning loop with chamber they are placing on the board.

This is part of the game to see what others have in mind to stop their play before it's too late! cry

I give this one a 8 for the design, beautiful components and interesting variants.

Cheers!

Louis-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've had about 7 or 8 plays so far, with 3 and four people in a mild party setting and almost had the 'loop' happen at one point but we all ganged up on the perpetrator before he could make any real progress.

I really like it so far. It's 'delightfully vicious.'

We've also played with 3 kids a few times, ages 8, 10 and 12 and they took to it right away. The ten year-old totally 'got it' in her first round and was making some impressively devious plays on the rest of us.

Great fun - and lightweight (except for the trash talkin')! Every game has been quite different and unpredictable so far. There's rumblings of some house rules already too. I see this one getting into the rotation frequently, especially because of the accessible play time. And all the components are attractive to boot!

I'd give it an 8 out of 10, but then you're not supposed to know how close I am to 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Barkmann, to find the winning loop is the point ! Just don't let the other(s) player(s) go with it !
Granted, one needs a few games to get past the first random plays...
Something funny, the more we play (with 2) the more it feels like a programming game, where you lay your plan, try to mess with your opponent's plan, then hit run... Its original theme reappears under the dungeoncrawling dressing...
Just one suggestion : I don't know with 3 or more, but with 2 I find it more interesting to play to 8 points or so (instead of 5), it allows for a more disputed game, not stopping with the first winning loop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Something funny, the more we play (with 2) the more it feels like a programming game, where you lay your plan, try to mess with your opponent's plan, then hit run... Its original theme reappears under the dungeoncrawling dressing...

Funny you mention that...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/drakon_designnotes1.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
First off, I want to say I like this game and enjoy pulling it out. But did run into a problem similar to mentioned here. In a 4 player game someone was able to get a key room next to a gold room with arrow pointing toward the key room. So from the key room they just went into the gold room and then back into the key room and repeated. The only way to fight this is with mind control or maybe destroy tile, but no one had one to play. This only happened once in our game, maybe because after that we each decided on our own not to do the same thing, because that particular session was disappointing.

You could also play the magic harp next to the key (drawing them out), rotate the gold chamber to point away from the key, move onto a Magic Shift and steal either the key or coin room, or move the Drakon to the player's square, so there are a number of actions to break someone's cash loop besides just the destroy and mind control tiles.

But you're right, if you don't have any offensive tiles to play, you're stuck; no matter how many options are in the deck if you don't have them, you don't have them. There is a bunch of luck involved in what tiles you play, but so far I've found that there are enough different ways to screw the other players that the luck involved can usually be mitigated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
In a 4 player game someone was able to get a key room next to a gold room with arrow pointing toward the key room. So from the key room they just went into the gold room and then back into the key room and repeated. The only way to fight this is with mind control or maybe destroy tile, but no one had one to play.

Hmmm, no Mind Control, no Destroy Tile, no Rotate Room, no Steal a Coin, no Drakon, no Magical Shift, no Magical Harp, no Barbarian to push the greedy player on his way. Sounds like a good deck shuffle is the order of the day!

I also often wonder why players place blank tiles in front of themselves, rather than in front of opponents making their own paths to gold far longer.

I guess not everyone plays a devious enough game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.