Popular Tags: [View All]
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello:

I see many people have posted questions to the rules section. It is almost impossible to filter out what I am looking for. The Plaid Hat FAQ does not include the answers I am looking for here.

I did find one answer to the exile question, but I will reiterate it here for further confirmation.

1) Movement: A barricade blocks zombies, but can it block a survivor from entering a location or even the colony if it is totally barricaded? For example say survivor A wants to kill survivor B at a location site other than the colony. Can survivor A enter that site if survivor B has barricaded all of the entrances? Moreover, if the colony is surrounded by zombies on all the zombie spaces, can survivors leave the colony? The same applies to the locations. If all of the zombie spaces are full, can one simply move around them and solely roll the exposure die to move elsewhere (symbolizing their escape attempt), or do they have to fight their way out by killing one zombie?

2) Exile: I read that if there are two players who are not betrayers with the secret agenda card are exiled, then moral falls to zero and the game ends. This is certain. My question is: do you reveal your secret objective card before you select your exile card or do you do so when you have chosen your exile card? Also, does your secret agenda remain after you are exiled or is it replaced by the exile card?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No. Barricades are only placed in "Zombie Entrances". You cannot put barricades in the Survivor spaces.

2) The card text on the Exiled Objective tells you what to do. At least for now, all of them say that if you are not the betrayer, you discard your previous objective, and if you are the betrayer you keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick response, but your reply does not quite answer my question.

I did not mean putting barricades on survivor spaces. I simply meant, do barricades prevent survivors from using a particular entrance.

For example: If you are exiled in a non-colony location there is a chance someone may murder you. If you barricaded all of the entrances to the location to protect against zombies, then do those barricades also stop the potential murderer from entering your non-colony location.

Same applies elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
Thank you for your quick response, but your reply does not quite answer my question.

I did not mean putting barricades on survivor spaces. I simply meant, do barricades prevent survivors from using a particular entrance.

For example: If you are exiled in a non-colony location there is a chance someone may murder you. If you barricaded all of the entrances to the location to protect against zombies, then do those barricades also stop the potential murderer from entering your non-colony location.

Same applies elsewhere.

Page 11 of the rules, under Move a Survivor in the Actions that do not require an Action Die section.

Emphasis mine:

Quote:
A Player may move each survivor he controls once during his turn. A survivor may be moved to any location that has an empty survivor space. After each time a player moves a survivor, he must roll for exposure.

Seems pretty clear. All that is required is an empty survivor space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am reading more into the rules than what is actually there. It just seems that if the barricades keep zombies out, then the same would apply to survivors in order to keep undesireables out of a location or to simply scre them over (although the exile rule exists - don't the exiles also want their own means of exclusion).

While I see this is not part of the rules (thank you), it does seem like a logical outcome in the zombie apocalypse. Some people you just don't want around in certain places, or you just may want to prevent them from getting an item and/or murdering you.

In regard to the rules, why do didn't the designers consdier this train of thought more? Do you think it might improve or hurt the game? What is your reasoning?

Thanks for your time.

WLM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you played in the co-op version of the game where there were no betrayers, and wanted to fill up zombie spaces at a location with barricades to protect you while searching for awhile, then you'd be keeping out friendly survivors too if the barricades kept them from coming in.

There are some abstractions to this game, such as being able to hand off fuel cards or medicine cards to survivors that request them. So the barricades are similar. They are merely a mechanic used to give players means of slowing down an overrun, or to fulfill a scenario or whatever.

While I've only played 4 times so far (one 3 player and three 5 player), none of the games had the betrayer attack another survivor. I've also observed some other people playing this at my group's game nights and haven't observed betrayers attacking other survivors. Not sure how common of an occurrence it is amongst other groups, where it would require barricades blocking out other survivors. Not to mention, if you end a round with all zombie spaces full of barricades and 1 or more survivors at that location, then 1 or more of those barricades will be removed during the adding zombie phase. So then the beginning of the next round there will be open zombie spaces at that location again anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Reimus
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
I guess I am reading more into the rules than what is actually there. It just seems that if the barricades keep zombies out, then the same would apply to survivors in order to keep undesireables out of a location or to simply scre them over (although the exile rule exists - don't the exiles also want their own means of exclusion).

While I see this is not part of the rules (thank you), it does seem like a logical outcome in the zombie apocalypse. Some people you just don't want around in certain places, or you just may want to prevent them from getting an item and/or murdering you.

In regard to the rules, why do didn't the designers consdier this train of thought more? Do you think it might improve or hurt the game? What is your reasoning?

Thanks for your time.

WLM

You are applying physics to a board game. The survivors aren't actually moving around, this is simply a game mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zombies are slow, stupid and clumsy. They lack the problem solving capability to find their way into a building that's had its ground floor doors and windows barricaded.

Survivors aren't, and can easily find other ways in such as climbing on the roof and through a 1st floor window, balcony etc.

I know what you're getting at - having 4 barricades is a possible secret goal and it's annoying if someone else comes along, attracting a zombie and destroying one of them.

Another game mechanics reason is that this would mean someone could barricade a location, leave, and then nobody could ever get back in there.

I don't think it's necessary - an interesting idea but I can see why they didn't pursue this possibility. Maybe the expansion will include ways to stop others from moving to certain locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
While I've only played 4 times so far (one 3 player and three 5 player), none of the games had the betrayer attack another survivor. I've also observed some other people playing this at my group's game nights and haven't observed betrayers attacking other survivors. Not sure how common of an occurrence it is amongst other groups, where it would require barricades blocking out other survivors.

SPOILER ALLERT!

There is a Secret Mission which calls for 4 non-player controlled survivors to carry at least one wound. So I could see a Betrayer attacking another survivor in a non-colony location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
Hahma wrote:
While I've only played 4 times so far (one 3 player and three 5 player), none of the games had the betrayer attack another survivor. I've also observed some other people playing this at my group's game nights and haven't observed betrayers attacking other survivors. Not sure how common of an occurrence it is amongst other groups, where it would require barricades blocking out other survivors.

SPOILER ALLERT!

There is a Secret Mission which calls for 4 non-player controlled survivors to carry at least one wound. So I could see a Betrayer attacking another survivor in a non-colony location.

Oh I'm sure there are situations where one player will want to or need to attack another player's character. But I was merely pointing out that it's not necessarily central to the focus of the game and doesn't occur regularly, because the OP was asking in one comment about why the designers didn't put more thought into the barricading a survivor to safety from another survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg - I see where you're coming from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be interesting to play with the barricades also affecting survivor movement -- if you barricade all the spots in the Gas Station, you have to stay there until the next zombie attack opens a hole. And no one can come help you either. In that case, I might add an action to allow players to destroy barricades.

But there's already so much abstraction in this game (and all games) that I don't try to logic everything out all the time. For instance, why does one zombie always destroy one barrier, annihilating itself in the process? Every single time?

But I agree that it would be interesting to hear the designers' take on whether or not they considered having barricades hinder survivor movement. I always like hearing about the game design process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
For instance, why does one zombie always destroy one barrier, annihilating itself in the process? Every single time?

In my first ever play (We Need More Samples) I was rolling for zombies who destroyed barricade markers. At the time I didn't see the distinction between 'kill' and 'remove' zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Late Night Society of Token Pushers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
On the barricades question...

Think of it this way. The zombies, by nature, are not very intelligent creatures. The barricades are simple enough for the survivors to get in and out of, but constructed well enough to keep the zombies out. Like a stack of wooden boxes. Survivors climb over, zombies try to walk through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.