Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hunter
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We got a chance to play Scoville last night for the first time. 5 players and plenty of fun. Generally, everything about the mechanics were great and the build quality is sound but I've got a few complaints.

1) There aren't enough pepper meeples of the higher value peppers. We stupidly assumed, without looking for the footnote text, that once you run out of peppers you can't get more (not like we had real replacements for them anyway). This happened several times for all of us with white, black, and even ghost. It destroyed my final move of the game where I could have gotten a 23 point recipe, but there were no more white peppers left. And this was a 5 player game, not 6!

2) Colors. Colors. Colors. I'm not colorblind, but every person that played last night had issues figuring telling which colors were which. "hey is that black or purple?", "is that red, or brown?" Even across the table, there was difficulty distinguishing between colors on the market cards.

3) Money is kind of pointless? As pointed out by one of the other players, money is only important if everyone feels that it is important. We could easily win an auction with a bid of 5+, and several times people didn't bother bidding at all. I was able to get into the position I wanted one round by simply bidding 1. Yeah, each $3 at the end gives you 1 VP, but it seems like there could be a better way to use and get money.

4) They left out my ghost peppers. We had to use dice to indicate these.

--

Overall, the mechanics are sound and the game is great, but these bits of frustration were rough. The first is an easy fix for a later reprint (include more!). The second may completely change the aesthetic of the game if the colors are updated to be more vibrant and contrasting. The different height peppers really didn't help. Third, not sure what to do here...

The fourth, well... it happens. laugh

I'm wondering if there could be a better way to do the Morning/Afternoon mechanic instead of counting how many recipes or market cards are left. Lots of people complain that there are too many out on the field, and I kind of agree. We stacked them but there still felt like a ton of recipes. Maybe have a finite supply of cards that replenish as they're purchased? Just musing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Money is only pointless if you're not using it to bid on "Choosing" player order. This is IMHO an very very important part of the game and should not be overlooked. It's important to remember that you choose where you mover your token to in player order so you can choose to go last if you wish. Which is a very good move in a lot of situations.

Not enough peppers in all values. Others and myself have run out of just about every color of pepper. For now there are tokens in the files section you can print out if you choose.

The colors are a problem for me as well. Especially on the market cards where it can be hard to tell if there is a brown pepper on the brown pepper background. But yes the red peppers can be difficult to distinguish from the purple. I wish they had used a brighter red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
modeps wrote:

3) Money is kind of pointless? As pointed out by one of the other players, money is only important if everyone feels that it is important. We could easily win an auction with a bid of 5+, and several times people didn't bother bidding at all. I was able to get into the position I wanted one round by simply bidding 1. Yeah, each $3 at the end gives you 1 VP, but it seems like there could be a better way to use and get money.

Money will become very important if you decide to play this game more with the same folks a few more times. i think at first it doesn't seem that way but the order of the fulfillment phase once you get to the afternoon is critical. if a player is allowed to get first turn choice by only spending a coin or two per turn they will be very likely to win.

the colors critique is a fair one. i saw one person that was planning to take bright red paint to the red peppers; i think i might do this as well. i agree that purple and black are the others that can get confused. i might look for a bright paint for both of those.

finally the lack of peppers has been lamented since this game arrived. i'm hopeful that a pepper pack is offered and there's a good deal of interest in one it would seem. the designers/publishers have said they are researching options for this so we can all keep our fingers crossed.

good review by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Van Maanen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
modeps wrote:

I can see how this could appear to be true. I'd be interested to hear if this changes for you over subsequent plays.

In my experience, I might not care about the bid every turn but on other turns it's very important (to be able to move first of fulfill first). This happens enough times in the game that managing my money has become an important part of the game for me.

Also, it's relative lack of worth at the end of the game makes it easier to throw money at the bid. If no one else is bidding I'd happily pay 1 coin to pick my position first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same issue with money. One player almost never bid. One player only bid occasionally. Both of the other players (myself included) bid 1-2 depending on if we wanted to switch turn order or not. I did have one round where I bid 5 because I could see that choosing my position was going to be critical, but that's as wild as it got. As a result of the $$$, nobody seemed tempted by the Morning Market cards so the game really started to drag. If money is in abundance, then those Market cards simply aren't worth it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.