Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Jensen
United States
Belgrade
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The failure result is strongly possible. Example.

A character has their skill bar maxed out for Lore rather than Luck, so only gets 1 dice for Luck checks. Now fortunately the difficulty of this test is at (0) so he doesn't lose any additional dice before making his roll. That said, he still needs to roll a 5+ to get his one success and only has one dice to do this.

And if a hero is cursed he would need 6's to get a success so then might struggle with this encounter even with 5+ dice.

Judd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Jensen
United States
Belgrade
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Point.

Hmmmm... I would assume they mean for the person to simply draw 1 card on a failure, but as written it is somewhat open ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
When we met this case, we allowed the character to do a second Luck check to determine how many Common Items to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
When we met this case, we allowed the character to do a second Luck check to determine how many Common Items to draw.

Ah, good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While CotDP adds a lot of spice to the original game, it is wrought with instances of awkward encounters and ambiguous situations. In this instance, I would probably just draw one Common Item. But doing a second roll is a good idea too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Skärnell
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
Tux Cthulhu
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a second luck check is the right thing to do. It says follow the instructions above, which is in this case to make a luck (+0) check and draw a number of common items equal to the number of successes rolled, and keep one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the above confusion and interpretations. The way I read it, if your luck is at 3, and you roll 3,4,5, you have one success, and thus draw one unique or exhibit item. If you roll 3,3,4, you would draw three common items and keep one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that if they fail then draw one common item. That is more in agreement with other similar cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Kevin W. answered to this issue on FFG forum (scroll down quite a bit):

Pretend that it reads like this: Discard a Common or Unique Item if able, then make a Luck (+0) check. If you pass, draw a number of Unique or Exhibit Items equal to the number of successes rolled, and keep one. If you fail, Discard a Common or Unique Item if able, then make a Luck (+0) check. If you pass, draw a number of Common Items equal to the number of successes rolled, and keep one. If you fail this second check, nothing happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, OK.
so... is he saying that if you fail the first check then discard a second item? That's what it seems to be saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ryanhanson wrote:
Oh, OK.
so... is he saying that if you fail the first check then discard a second item? That's what it seems to be saying.

I'd say he clearly is saying that (and thus the card is misprinted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.