Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Melnyk
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing a test game of the Rescue the Princess scenario (which seems wickedly good fun) we had a question over the vaguely written Defender rules.
So, if you spend a token to defend a melee strike, do you ONLY get the orange dodge die or do you also add the parry ability of your weapon/equipment for the same token?
Logically it seems you should be able to add the parry die for free as they are generally inferior yellow dice.
Also contributing to the uncertainty, as written the rules make it clear that Armour is eligible for passive defensive (no tokens needed) but doesn't bother to include Parry weapons in this section.
Based on limited time with the sample scenario this game seems to offer a lot of tough choices for players - but some of the rules need to be a bit clearer.
- Vlad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short : You have to decide whether you'll spend energy on active defense FIRST and then add passive / do rerolls.
Meaning you can't use passive then decide spending energy to cover any unblocked hits; you have to take the risk of over spending and / or not reduce all inflicted hits

you do gain both active and passive bonus, provided you spend energy.
Same goes for blocking : a sword wit a defense die or a shield will only work if you've decided to go for an active defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Melnyk
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks - but my question is, if I select "Active" defense, do I get the default Orange dice for dodge PLUS the yellow dice for parry (if carrying a sword), both for the same Energy token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Griffin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlad48 wrote:
Thanks - but my question is, if I select "Active" defense, do I get the default Orange dice for dodge PLUS the yellow dice for parry (if carrying a sword), both for the same Energy token?

Yes. If (for some reason) you're unarmed and get attacked, you can spend up to n (where n is your characters max def stat, and assuming your character gets orange dice to def - not sure if others might get red for being more agile, or yellow for being less so) stamina to roll n orange dice. If you have a short sword and get attacked, you would get n orange dice for n stamina plus 1 yellow for parrying with the short sword. You would need to decide what n was going to be before rolling (you can't pump it after the fact), but you can spend additional gems on re-rolls (1 per die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig K
msg tools
Parry: add your weapon def and passive armour def plus stamina gem defense.
(parry can't be used against ranged attacks)
Block: add your sheild and passive armour def plus stamina gem defense.
(can be used against ranged attacks)
Dodge: add your passive armour plus your stamina gem defense.
(can be used against ranged attacks)

It is possible to perform the selected action without paying for the stamina gem bonus. However you can only choose one way to defend.

Both Block and Parry are considered active defense.

I hope this is clear it's compiled from the alpha rules and Jaime from monolith's answers on the comments section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short:
If you have armour, you roll a die as indicated in the defence box and on the armour.
If you have a weapon with a shield image and a (+) coloured die, this can parry. So add that as well.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warning: ambidextrous works only in attack,not in defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Melnyk
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very helpful, thanks for the clarification.
- Vlad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.