Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Must free attacks be made IMMEDIATELY before or after normal attacks, or can they, for instance, be made before movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
page 25 wrote:
Some cards and abilities give a Hero Free Attack. Free Attacks are made in addition to the Hero’s normal Attack for the turn. A Free Attack may be used during the Hero’s Activation, either before or after making a normal Attack.

To me, that sounds like the Free Attack is used after movement, either right before or right after their regular attack.

There are some rare corner cases, like the Saloon Girl's Fast as Lightning, which happens during her movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think you're right, and that's the way we play it, but "during activation and BEFORE your normal attack" could also be reasonably be interpreted as "before movement"; hence the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played it as after movement, as the roll for movement (or roll for grit, for those who use fixed movement), always happens first. Then horror hits, then attacks of all kinds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Horror hits from Fearsome enemies come before movement. Your normal activation is movement then action (explore or combat). Fear is as soon as you activate, which to me is before you do your movement. No free Grit for your Willpower rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I think Horror hits from Fearsome enemies come before movement. Your normal activation is movement then action (explore or combat). Fear is as soon as you activate, which to me is before you do your movement. No free Grit for your Willpower rolls.

Yes, I believe this is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does say the first thing a hero does on his turn is roll for movement. Which still occurs with fixed movement. So I think rolling for grit/move always happens first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

To be honest, I think we've done both, based on which one came to mind first. I've even had to remind people to roll for movement (grit) when they're not planning to move.

I think the order comes down to whether or not you think the Fear/Terror abilities override the "roll for movement first" rule:

pg 11 wrote:
At the start of a Hero’s Activation, the first thing they should do is to roll a single die for Movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

To be honest, I think we've done both, based on which one came to mind first. I've even had to remind people to roll for movement (grit) when they're not planning to move.

I think the order comes down to whether or not you think the Fear/Terror abilities override the "roll for movement first" rule:

pg 11 wrote:
At the start of a Hero’s Activation, the first thing they should do is to roll a single die for Movement.

I think the key wording here is "the first thing THEY should do". Terror hits happen at the start of the activation, which to me sounds like it comes before anything the hero, their self, should do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Salazar
msg tools
mb
Dormammu wrote:

I agree.

I use the below hero phases during a fight
1)start of activation effects - fear, terror etc
2)roll for movement/grit
3)move (escape), fight, etc
4)end of activation effects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin T
msg tools
Yeah, thematically speaking, the giant monster is scaring the crap out of you and is now affecting your Hero. It could potentially kill you before you even get to move.

We roll for Terror etc. before movement as well.

To the original question, the rules say a free attack can be used 'before or after your normal attack'. So unless otherwise specified by additional rules, it'd be a part of your attack phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:

I think the key wording here is "the first thing THEY should do". Terror hits happen at the start of the activation, which to me sounds like it comes before anything the hero, their self, should do.

Rolling for Movement and Grit and Rolling for Fear and Terror are both Start of Activation events.

So IIRC the player can choose which order he does them in.

You have to do both before you actually move or sacrifice your movement of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.