Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, I played the wife in a few games of Memoir '44 using the scenario Villers Bocage, a matchup that looks kind of scary if you have to play the British side. Normally, the wife and I play each scenario like an inning of baseball, switching sides after each game to get the full effect.

I guess in real life, the Germans and their Tiger tank ace, Michael Wittman, successfully ambushed the British in this battle, destroying a bunch of British units while sending the rest running for cover. Would today's matchup follow the course of history or would there be a new story to write?

Let's get down to business.

In game one, I played as the Germans, looking down at my starting hand to find an Armor Assault card which I immediately played. The result? This game was over before it began as I left Wittman and his Tiger tank concealed in the woods and moved the other four Tiger tanks forward to confront the Brits with one extra dice per attack. The Brits were blown to hell and the next two turns saw mop up action, leaving me with an easy victory and a medal count of five to zero after only my third turn.

As I understand it, history basically repeated itself in game one. Game two, however, would be another story.

Now as the British, I was keenly aware of the power that the Tigers could demonstrate. Somehow I was able to survive the first few rounds as Wifey's starting hand held cards that never gave her more than two units to move out and attack with. As the Germans, cards like Medics & Mechanics are entirely useless here. I was able to limit my British losses to one unit for each of the first four Axis turns while picking off one Tiger tank in the process. Things were looking pretty grim for the Brits!

So as the game moved into the British action on turn four, German tank ace Michael Wittman was suddenly in position to win the game on the next turn as he rolled into Villers Bocage and spied a permanent medal token just ahead.

Realizing I would need two Tiger tank kills to win the game, I looked down at my hand and saw this:

The Brits rallied, moving three units forward to confront Michael Wittman and his Tiger tank crew.

My closest tank unit rolled and scored a hit! A reroll confirmed this hit with a grenade!

Wittman was defeated and history would need to be re-written!

I then took ground with the same tank unit and spied a second Tiger just within range about to roll into Villers Bocage as well.

A roll and a hit! The reroll? It was a grenade as well!

Some fearless chap and his tank crew saved the day for the Brits!

This was a great scenario and we had a ton of fun playing it. We enjoyed so much we played it through again the next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC I played this once and the game lasted 1 card. The Germans played Armored Assault and were able to Close Assault and Overrun - by rolling exceptional dice - to kill enough Brits to win before the Brits could play a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
IIRC I played this once and the game lasted 1 card. The Germans played Armored Assault and were able to Close Assault and Overrun - by rolling exceptional dice - to kill enough Brits to win before the Brits could play a card.
So it seems like there's 2 possibilities for this awesome game: did you have a super tank which romped through the German right scoring 3/4 armor hits and then 4/4 infantry on those 2 guys on the road (0.7% chance), or did you get a couple of shots on the infantry with his pants down in the road near Villers-Bocage (overrun the tank 3/4 and then 4/6 no flags)? The impassible forests/towns is a help on this one, but that's some hot dice!

Nice session report too!

starting map for convenience..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's about been 4 or 5 years ago and I know I was on the losing side. Maybe I only played 1 card and Richard played 2. It was a very short game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.