Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all folks.

I've had some interest in the mini-games but I guess they may not be the most worthy to spend money on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not much. Don't know why the size of a game makes it more or less worthy of an investment. That has no logic at all to it. That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
That's all folks.

I've had some interest in the mini-games but I guess they may not be the most worthy to spend money on.

Great support.

Reasonable pricing.

Fun theme.

Lots of neat stretch goals.

What's not to get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's not all your $400K+, is it? No? Then I wouldn't worry about it. If other people like the game, more power to them. It was a economical price point, will include a lot of components for that price point, and got a lot of good reviews from the Print & Play version that got around. That it was a popular and successful Kickstarter and a small game does not automatically make it a bad game or unworthy of its success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add: known publisher/designer combo who have turned out two successful campaigns.

For me - low price, small box, lots of game, tendency towards reduced downtime, some interesting decisions, and a theme that interests me. Others seem to have jumped on the "name a planet" type options because that's of interest to them (and will be screened to avoid some of the more odd results we'd likely have otherwise).

I'd rather buy this than any zombie game and most miniatures games. I can't really justify the insane cost of most minis-games.

That being said, this isn't going to be for everyone. Apparently it was interesting enough for others to garner a bunch of backers and a pretty good amount of funding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you post this? Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to say that there will be 12,458 people who post a reasonable and well-thought out answer, but I am saying there could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Little
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
That's all folks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a game you liked more didn't get the backing you wanted it to receive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a world where Exploding Kittens raises $5.6M (and counting), I TEG's success not only unsurprising but refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time a game is successful, it's good for the hobby. Whether people are buying Catan, Tokaido, Exploding Kittens, Tiny Epic Galaxies, or any other game is really irrelevant.

We want people to play games and embrace our hobby, whether they play/like games that we, ourselves, play/like.

Why do people insist on buying and playing Agricola, when it is clearly such an unworthy game? I will never know. But I also don't care.

Why do people insist on feeding the Pandemic craze, when it is clearly such a dull game? I will never know. But I also don't care.

Buy and play games you like. Ignore games you don't like. Profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
That's not much. Don't know why the size of a game makes it more or less worthy of an investment. That has no logic at all to it. That's all.
Actually I think it do affect things.

I can accept that a smaller game is simpler and it may have other advantages such as size, price, game time and rule complexity.

I read your reply as if I dismissed the game due to the size of the box / what was in it though.

But no, I had some interest in Tiny Epic Kingdoms when that ran and I've been checking out this game and the co-op Kickstarter after that and wondered whatever I should back this or not. $8 for the Deluxe stuff didn't seemed all that much worth it but then again with shipping to Europe it $24 vs $32 and checking the percentages / extra cost / price in SEK that's not all that much to bother with (the difference.)
The dollar is pretty strong now though and the price is well above the price of say Innovation and the Deluxe version is in line with say Android: Netrunner.

The comment / complain / question have nothing with the size of the game to do but all with the game system as such.

Not all that many resources and all that much differences among planets (then again it can still provide optimizations against reaching the best result from a clean mathematical perspective just as Power Grid which I too isn't much of a fan of), since the card / differences seemed so uninteresting there would be the role/action selection part of it but there one have to check what everyone else have and how things would benefit them which too is more or less just a math exercise and a chore.

Either you do that and play as "perfectly" as you can (where a computer AI could had played the game for you more efficiently/at least as good) or you rush through that someone and just guesstimate results / gamble and pick something and hope for the best.

So yeah.

* Math-heavy.
* Action prone / require great effort to do the right actions.

And with little variation and for what?

I'd turn the argument around. If you think I dismissed it for size what I really mean is that I get it's pulling in money because it's small and cute but the game as such don't really seem all that interesting?

The planets didn't do anything once you had them under your board right? They was just victory points?

I guess maybe things could had been improved there if you got extra action/abilities/advantages added to your empire once they were colonized.

Convert resources the most and hunt VPs just didn't seemed all that interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
The planets didn't do anything once you had them under your board right? They was just victory points?

I guess maybe things could had been improved there if you got extra action/abilities/advantages added to your empire once they were colonized.

Convert resources the most and hunt VPs just didn't seemed all that interesting.

Actually, once you have colonized a planet, you now have exclusive access to its ability. You can use planet abilities round after round (by taking a colony action). Until it has become colonized, anyone can use a planet ability by sending a ship there.

And, yes, you also earn points for colonizing a planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get the Tiny Epic thing. I've not played the game, but they hold little interest for me. I am a components guy and I tend to gravitate towards heavier and more complicated games.

If I ever get the chance to play TEK/TED/TEG I'll try. I do hope they get a new artist though. The artwork for TEK/TED was not befitting a game that raised 500k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
rickert wrote:
Actually I think it do affect things.

I can accept that a smaller game is simpler and it may have other advantages such as size, price, game time and rule complexity.

I read your reply as if I dismissed the game due to the size of the box / what was in it though.

But no, I had some interest in Tiny Epic Kingdoms when that ran and I've been checking out this game and the co-op Kickstarter after that and wondered whatever I should back this or not. $8 for the Deluxe stuff didn't seemed all that much worth it but then again with shipping to Europe it $24 vs $32 and checking the percentages / extra cost / price in SEK that's not all that much to bother with (the difference.)
The dollar is pretty strong now though and the price is well above the price of say Innovation and the Deluxe version is in line with say Android: Netrunner.

The comment / complain / question have nothing with the size of the game to do but all with the game system as such.

Not all that many resources and all that much differences among planets (then again it can still provide optimizations against reaching the best result from a clean mathematical perspective just as Power Grid which I too isn't much of a fan of), since the card / differences seemed so uninteresting there would be the role/action selection part of it but there one have to check what everyone else have and how things would benefit them which too is more or less just a math exercise and a chore.

Either you do that and play as "perfectly" as you can (where a computer AI could had played the game for you more efficiently/at least as good) or you rush through that someone and just guesstimate results / gamble and pick something and hope for the best.

So yeah.

* Math-heavy.
* Action prone / require great effort to do the right actions.

And with little variation and for what?

I'd turn the argument around. If you think I dismissed it for size what I really mean is that I get it's pulling in money because it's small and cute but the game as such don't really seem all that interesting?

You are wrong about the planets and I would guess about a great many other things. More research needed on your part I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
I don't get the Tiny Epic thing. I've not played the game, but they hold little interest for me. I am a components guy and I tend to gravitate towards heavier and more complicated games.

If I ever get the chance to play TEK/TED/TEG I'll try. I do hope they get a new artist though. The artwork for TEK/TED was not befitting a game that raised 500k.

I understand. The "Tiny Epic" thing comes down to personal preference. Some people like big and complicated, others like small and straightforward. That is to expect.

As for the artwork ... I don't mind it that much, in fact, I really like certain aspects of it. I think it was meant to be cutesy much akin to the artwork for The Red Dragon Inn. That does not, however, appeal to everyone. But, TEK was never expected to be the smash success it was. By then, artwork was already locked in place.

Will there be different artwork in the future? Who knows. For me, personally, I'd be happy if it stays the same. But I also would not be surprised if it changes. That is, after all, common practice with future reprints of any game (Pandemic, Alien Frontiers, Monopoly, Cosmic Encounter, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
aliquis wrote:
That's all folks.

Great support.

Reasonable pricing.

Fun theme.

Lots of neat stretch goals.

What's not to get?
True - But it doesn't make a great game. Which should be more important.

I've thought that way too about the mini games. But the dollar is so strong now it's not really pocket change any longer.

Can't argue that. Though I don't know how much of a space feel it gives.

Wasn't it mostly much more of the same?

I think Quantum was a great game. I don't really know how Roll for the galaxy played but I can assume it may do something a little more / be somewhat more unique. I think Love letter is an awesome game. I also enjoy Innovation though it have some wild-swings thrown in it which may not make a single game all that fair.
chopperdan wrote:
That's not all your $400K+, is it? No? Then I wouldn't worry about it. If other people like the game, more power to them. It was a economical price point, will include a lot of components for that price point, and got a lot of good reviews from the Print & Play version that got around. That it was a popular and successful Kickstarter and a small game does not automatically make it a bad game or unworthy of its success.
I don't consider the size a disadvantage. That likely rather contributed to the success. Would you had played a game with this time of mechanic, variation and so on if it was a bigger title at a higher price point?
paschott wrote:
Add: known publisher/designer combo who have turned out two successful campaigns.

For me - low price, small box, lots of game, tendency towards reduced downtime, some interesting decisions, and a theme that interests me. Others seem to have jumped on the "name a planet" type options because that's of interest to them (and will be screened to avoid some of the more odd results we'd likely have otherwise).

I'd rather buy this than any zombie game and most miniatures games. I can't really justify the insane cost of most minis-games.

That being said, this isn't going to be for everyone. Apparently it was interesting enough for others to garner a bunch of backers and a pretty good amount of funding.
Yeah. I totally understand that. I guess the headline will be incorrect if people are going to take it so literally.

Ok. I get it.

They raised so much money because:
1) Tiny epic.
2) Small box game.
3) Low price point.

But what I really mean is "I can't understand why so many seem to think this will be a great or interesting game."

I've played Gauntlet of fools. I guess maybe that's more comparable. It's not super-interesting.

Is there lots of game in it?

As for the mini games I guess it's a fair point now then $100 or even higher seem to have become the standard of them. But there's cheaper games with some plastic in them and games like City of Horror which really brings "a minis game" even though it doesn't cost a fortune.

I guess I'd rather pay more for a good game than little less for a bunch of shit though.

Though minis doesn't make a good game for me. At all.
Eyefink wrote:
I find it hard to see why people like what I don't. I mean, clearly I am the best judge as to what's worthy of being made and enjoyed, and people who like other things are just incorrect in their personal tastes. Even though KS has continually gained enormous amounts of users over the years and this game, which I have deemed unworthy of being liked, has an exceptionally low price tag and comes from a proven publisher--plus will release in an unusually short time frame--I just don't understand how people can spend money on something I don't want to.

Sorry, not trying to be an ass (well, maybe a little) but what I really find hard to see is why threads like this exist.
Stopped reading this shit.

I'm not saying my opinion is correct or better than others. I just don't see why people think this was an interesting game at all.

Heck, compare this to 7 Wonders for instance.

Why would anyone pick this? If it wasn't "Tiny Epic" would people bother?
bishop37 wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a game you liked more didn't get the backing you wanted it to receive?
I guess I'm not checking Kickstarter enough to really have good examples there. Since I've backed some crap / it's easy to get stuck and order shit I've often just set KS so it reminds me / back early for early bird offer and worried more about cancelling it in time than figure out what game it was and whatever I wanted it / asked whatever I could back later and then never checked the project again.

So yeah.. I don't really know what games has been because I just forget about them / don't keep track of them / have no automatic way of doing so and for the stuff I've backed I don't really care.

But yeah, those likely exist. I thought Torn armor seemed interesting. As we know now there don't really seem to be anything coming out of that so far.. And the recent Voodoo lounge jive cats or whatever it was called - I have no idea how that played and whatever it's interesting but if nothing else it seemed sad if it were to miss out on some of the pimped stretch goals since the game / the attraction of the game seemed to kinda come from the artwork and pimped design and as such it deserved to have all of it.

I also guess it's hard to say what's deserved / needed. I don't really view it that way. I just find it hard to see what's so attractive with this game - Or by all means the kitten game someone else mentioned.
JJRR_Esq wrote:
In a world where Exploding Kittens raises $5.6M (and counting), I TEG's success not only unsurprising but refreshing.
One would assume it being about 1) Cats and 2) Inappropriate actions involving those are a huge part of the success. But yeah. That one is likely a disturbing success too =P
GalaGalaxia wrote:
Any time a game is successful, it's good for the hobby. Whether people are buying Catan, Tokaido, Exploding Kittens, Tiny Epic Galaxies, or any other game is really irrelevant.

We want people to play games and embrace our hobby, whether they play/like games that we, ourselves, play/like.

Why do people insist on buying and playing Agricola, when it is clearly such an unworthy game? I will never know. But I also don't care.

Why do people insist on feeding the Pandemic craze, when it is clearly such a dull game? I will never know. But I also don't care.

Buy and play games you like. Ignore games you don't like. Profit.
The last paragraph make no sense. It's not like I don't. I can still argue the quality / why people do what they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this because I played the pnp and enjoyed it. I love custom dice games, I love games with a pile of simple mechanics that you try to chain together into something powerful. I like spaceship games. (SPACESHIP!!!) Are there games that give a similar experience in a bigger box and longer play time? Yeah, probably. But I'm at a stage in my life where small, quick, and cheap are strong points.

On the other hand, there will always be people who don't like a game. It's OK to not like something that lots of other people like. I don't like zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
Actually, once you have colonized a planet, you now have exclusive access to its ability. You can use planet abilities round after round (by taking a colony action). Until it has become colonized, anyone can use a planet ability by sending a ship there.

And, yes, you also earn points for colonizing a planet.
Ok, that make somewhat more sense.

My Internet connection has been down during the days for the last FOUR days. They are migrating people from some equipment to some other but it was frustrating when happening the first time without informing us and it's becoming ridiculous now.

The Kickstarter I think had three hours left when I went back and checked it at some time and I may have watched the video in the last hour.

Don't know whatever I saw it all. I saw him collecting the cards under his play mat and how they had points to the right of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LTtdRZWQ7s
Was the one I saw. It says that bla bla activate a colony die.

So it's mentioned. I don't know whatever all of them is activated or the one you place the die on or whatever.

But whatever. That make it somewhat deeper and better because you're building a little further into getting your own / best combo (if that's the case) may make picking what planet to try to colonize more interesting too (and there's also of course always the case were it could be more interesting because you're many who compete for the same one.)

Hopefully balance is decent, though imbalances can make such things more interesting.

Imbalances can of course both break or make it more interesting (more competition for something which everyone see as important vs going your own way with something less popular (I think Mission: Red Planet did that?)
rickert wrote:
You are wrong about the planets and I would guess about a great many other things. More research needed on your part I think.
Possibly. I don't know whatever there's a possibility of "great many" things but.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
I can still argue the quality / why people do what they do.

Actually, you can't. (I mean, you CAN, but you'll look foolish doing it.) You can say why something does or doesn't appeal to you. You can say why you do or don't do things. But arguing why other people do things is silliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan, here's the thing — the variables affecting your reasons for backing (or not backing) a Kickstarter by a U.S. publisher are completely different from a those considered by a U.S. backer. It's not just the cost of the game itself, but the availability post public release, the availability of other games, the cost of other games, etc.

Established titles almost always have a separate EU distribution agreement, even for English versions. That greatly affects the price point for you. The European gamer is also, generally, geared towards a different style of games than the U.S. gamer.

And, of course you can argue the quality and merit of games which you don't find appealing. Why do people keep buying Candy Land? I don't know. Why do people keep buying The Game of Life? I don't know. But questioning why they raise a lot of money is a silly question which is wholly separate from, and vastly unrelated to, the quality of a game.

Games raise a lot of money because they appeal to a large group of people. That's it.

The monetary success of a particular title is irrelevant when discussing its merits as a quality game.

Now, I happen to really like Tiny Epic Galaxies. I also happen to like several less popular games. I also happen to dislike several extremely popular games. I just don't see how the question of why people like a certain game should ever be tied to the amount of money it raises.

Your title for this thread is poorly chosen.
Your question ("Why do people like this game?") is valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:

Smaller does not equal simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
I picked this because I played the pnp and enjoyed it. I love custom dice games, I love games with a pile of simple mechanics that you try to chain together into something powerful. I like spaceship games. (SPACESHIP!!!) Are there games that give a similar experience in a bigger box and longer play time? Yeah, probably. But I'm at a stage in my life where small, quick, and cheap are strong points.

On the other hand, there will always be people who don't like a game. It's OK to not like something that lots of other people like. I don't like zombies.
But is it really better / more interesting than say Quantum, Race for the Galaxy, 7 Wonders and Innovation. Sure some of those may use up a little more space or cost a little more.

Maybe it's better than what I thought. Didn't really seem "WOW!" though. Small simple game? Yes.

(Another problem I have with Kickstarter games and videos is UndeadVikings long videos and conclusions how this or that is a great game - but yeah, relative what? Yatzy? Other great games? I can't really consider everything "it's not broken" / "there's a working game here" games as something I should purchase.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Hopefully balance is decent, though imbalances can make such things more interesting.

I expect it's probably a bit imbalanced, but it's also short. I can tolerate some imbalance in a short game. Or in a game about balancing.

Quote:
rickert wrote:
You are wrong about ... a great many other things.
Possibly. I don't know whatever there's a possibility of "great many" things but.

Were you aware this space station was fully armed and operational?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
aliquis wrote:

Smaller does not equal simpler.

Marking words.

I can accept people seeing advantages in a small, simple, cheap, short game.

Better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking if one game is "better" or "more interesting" than another question is futile. Only you can answer that question.

What are the mechanics? How do those compare to other games you play/love/own? Does the theme appeal to you? Does the overall game appeal to you? What do you not love about the game? How big is your current collection? Will this game fill a particular spot in that collection? Does this game do something that other games you play/love/own don't offer? Is the game worth getting? Will this game come to the table once you own it?

Most of those questions are impossible for anyone to answer, except you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.