10 Posts

Homeworlds» Forums » General

Subject: Star system and homeworld ownership? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that the game is more about "what can be done" in a star system than "what each ship can do"... but how does star technology work?

Let's say there's a large red star, R3, I have a medium yellow (Y2) and my opponent has a medium green (G2):

(his GG) [RRR] (my YY)

I get that I can use yellow/travel technology, but can I also use the red/attack action to take my opponent's G2 stationed on the system? Can he build only green there or can he also build red? Also, ridiculous question, but can he build yellow?

Who owns what technology on non-homeworld star systems? On homeworlds, can only the owner use their technologies? In short, does ownership exist in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexKM wrote:
I get that I can use yellow/travel technology, but can I also use the red/attack action to take my opponent's G2 stationed on the system?

Yes.

AlexKM wrote:
Can he build only green there or can he also build red?

No, he can only build ships whose color is the same as ships he already has in the system.

AlexKM wrote:
In short, does ownership exist in the game?

No; even at someone else's home system, you have access to the color(s) of the star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The section "Free Actions" in the rules makes this explicitly clear about your available colors:
rules wrote:
The colors that are available to you are determined by the colors of all of your ships in the system, as well as by the colors of the system's marker(s).
Note that you can apply any action to pieces of any color, as long as you have access in the system to the color of the action you wish to perform. For instance, you can move any one of your ships out of a system as long as you own at least one yellow ship in that system, or the system itself contains a yellow marker.

And about building:
rules wrote:
The new ship must match the color a ship that you already own in that system.

===

kuhrusty wrote:
AlexKM wrote:
In short, does ownership exist in the game?

No; even at someone else's home system, you have access to the color(s) of the star.

Well, to be clear: ownership of stars doesn't exist (except in the sense that everyone has their own homeworld, whose loss causes the owner to lose the game: "if at some point you don't own any ships in your Homeworld, you are eliminated from the game."), but certainly ownership of ships exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I have a homeworld that's like this, a large red and a medium green, with a small yellow ship next to it... what CAN I build? Red, green or only yellow?

[RRR][GG] (Y ship)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexKM wrote:
So if I have a homeworld that's like this, a large red and a medium green, with a small yellow ship next to it... what CAN I build? Red, green or only yellow?

[RRR][GG] (Y ship)

As the rule says, "The new ship must match the color a ship that you already own in that system."

If you only have a yellow ship there, then you can only build yellow ships there.

(The system gives you the green power to build a ship.)

Hmm, just to sanity-check why you're confused:
Are you perhaps mixing up "ships" and "pyramids"? The vertical pyramids which compose star systems are not ships. Only the horizontal pyramids are ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
[q="AlexKM"]
Are you perhaps mixing up "ships" and "pyramids"? The vertical pyramids which compose star systems are not ships. Only the horizontal pyramids are ships.

No, I know the difference between ships and stars, I just thought you have to have green available in a system AND another colour available, even if it's the star system itself.. and then build whatever colour you want, so for example on a

[GG][R] (Y ship)

I would build greens and reds and yellows... crap, I really played it all wrong, haven't I... I only played two matches at home... ugh... thank you very, VERY much for the quick replies and help! I might try to do a video tutorial series since I can't find any videos with instructions.. do you know any such things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexKM wrote:
I might try to do a video tutorial series since I can't find any videos with instructions.. do you know any such things?

Not offhand, though I remember there was a youtube video with Andy Looney showing some strategy tip (I found it searching youtube for "homeworlds looney") :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081STRjOFMw

BTW if you are open to online correspondence-style play, http://superdupergames.org has Homeworlds. Computer moderation is a good way to disabuse oneself of rules misunderstandings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexKM wrote:
russ wrote:
[q="AlexKM"]

No, I know the difference between ships and stars, I just thought you have to have green available in a system AND another colour available, even if it's the star system itself.. and then build whatever colour you want, so for example on a

[GG][R] (Y ship)

I would build greens and reds and yellows... crap, I really played it all wrong, haven't I... I only played two matches at home... ugh... thank you very, VERY much for the quick replies and help! I might try to do a video tutorial series since I can't find any videos with instructions.. do you know any such things?

I guess I have been playing wrong too. So does this mean you need a blue ship or star at the start of the game so you can build more ships then swap them to a different color you want later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
I guess I have been playing wrong too. So does this mean you need a blue ship or star at the start of the game so you can build more ships then swap them to a different color you want later?

Yes, you want blue in your setup homesystem. If you start with no blue in your setup, then you can only keep building the one kind of ship which you started with. You need blue to change ship types.

(And if you have neither blue nor green in your setup, then you're really screwed since you can't even build at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Grimaldi
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

Not having blue in your starting setup can be a problem, but you can still get blue powers by using a yellow action (granted from a star or ship) -- send a ship to a new star system, and select a blue star marker. However, if there are no blue markers available, you have a problem. soblue

Also consider, if you face an opponent who started w/out blue, you might be able to delay/deny their ability to get blue by grabbing up all of the blue markers of the appropriate size(s) devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.