Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Burago
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading the feedback it looks like no one is playing Normal rules; everybody seems to think that Normal rules are only for little kiddies and they fast forward to Advanced right away.

Well, I do not think Normal rules are inferior to Advanced in any way. Rather, they give you two different games, and the ruleset you choose should depend on what you are looking for.

Here is what I think they are like:

NORMAL: easy to learn, very "intuitive", and the game moves MUCH faster. It is easier to get more cards and players are much less likely to find themselves "stuck" with nowhere to move. It is also easier to plan ahead in this mode.

This is actually my prefered style of play (and that's why I am disappointed that no one plays it!).

ADVANCED: more chess-like, with richer strategies but also more mind-boggling and with more downtime as people have to think their moves through. I would think twice before I recommend playing an Advanced game with 5 players as the downtime may become a significant factor.

In Advanced mode careful planing is essential from the start and a mistake early in the game is more likely to lead to an early defeat (although I've seen some miraculous comebacks!)

I would definitely recommend playing an Advanced game to those who have played Normal quite a few times and are looking for a different kind of experience. I have also seen quite a few players who love the Normal game and do not care for Advanced at all, and vice versa. Well, that's why you are getting two games in one box, find the one you like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vassilii Khachaturov
Israel
flag msg tools
Normal:Advanced \approx Chapayev:Checkers
:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
adagio_burner wrote:
Well, I do not think Normal rules are inferior to Advanced in any way. Rather, they give you two different games, and the ruleset you choose should depend on what you are looking for.
The problem, I think, is most people are ego driven, so as soon as they see the word "Advanced" they can't help but think that only those of inferior intellect would bother with anything else...

Like you, I too prefer the Normal rules, and in no way think it is the inferior game, but it's all in the naming. Maybe if you had called Advanced "Co-operative" (because of involuntary support) and Normal "Unassisted" (for what is hopefully an obvious reason) you might have seen a reversal in perception.

Either way it's played though it's a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Burago
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
Either way it's played though it's a fun game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of an old thread but....

This is the only game that my group plays with the "easy" rules. We like complex games (First play of Through the Ages was the complete game... same with Agricola). I wouldn't say the "complex" rules are more complex though, they're just different.

I like how the game plays out more with the easy rules. Everyone is building up towards the bigger spots on their own. We haven't played the complex version yet but the sharing support values sounded a little odd and we didn't like the fact that it'd be harder to move around the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.