Subject: Magic Dragon: Mah-Jongg Variant with pictures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing up we had a game called Magic Dragon a kind of Mah-Jongg variant.

I would buy it if I could find it anywhere. What I am interested in is the scoring sheet. You basically count how many tiles you are away from "going out" and multiply it by a factor you get from special scoring like, magic dragon (1-9 in same suit) lonely twin (only you pair standing) no head or tail (no 1's or 9's) etcetera. There were probably about 25-30 conditions that could increase your multiplier factor, they you have to pay the person who went out. It was a lot of fun. If nothing else I could play the game with rummikub or something if I had the scoring sheet. If anyone has the game or knows where I can get the scoring sheet, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wang
United States
west covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We called them "flower" in Chinese. Most people play only matching flower tile gives you points. If you collect all flower tiles, it is an automatic win for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flowers? Do you know of a site that has the rules for "Flowers"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, that really didn't help me. Does anyone else have any leads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I play a strategic, competitive style of Japanese Mah-Jong, lucky tiles are frowned upon. So the flowers/seasons and Red Fives (akapai) bonus tiles are left out.

On my set the flowers and seasons are combined into 4 bonus tiles, plus the four akapai. But on many other Oriental sets the four seasons are separate from four flowers. The traditional flowers are Plum Blossom, Orchid, Chrysanthemum and Bamboo. These correspond directly for the four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter, in that order. Sometimes there are bonus tiles depicting the four guardian occupations: Fisherman, Woodcutter, Farmer and Scholar. These also correspond to the four seasons, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, in that order. Furthermore the four directional "winds" East, South, West, North correspond to Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, in that order.

When you play with bonus tiles, once you draw one it becomes a "lucky" tile and not part of one's 14-tile hand. Each bonus in Japanese Mah-Jong is a single "dora" that increases the level of one's hand by one Han. You draw a replacement for it from the dead wall. In other games the collection of a complete set of bonus tiles grants bonus(es).

A pretty good collection of many things Mah-Jong can be found at:
http://www.sloperama.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.