Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: So I made myself a TIE/gt... Now What? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
Hello, all!

I decided I'd build some alternate TIE models. Looking though Wookiepedia, I discovered the TIE/gt (ground targeter), a predecessor to the TIE/sa bomber which fell out of favor when the bomber started production and were mostly phased out except for some hold overs assigned to low-priority and remote areas. They were chiefly designed to blow up very large targets and ground facilities, but, when paired with TIE/fcs (fire control) to gather better targeting info, could effectively attack smaller targets as well.

I have yet to build the TIE/fc ships (and when I do, I think I'm gonna base them on the awesome TIE fighter as seen in the manga version of ANH, rather that the fairly dull TIE/fc that's on Wookiepedia). But I do want to stat these out for play.

Here's my model:

I'm thinking Primary Weapon 1, Agility 2, Hull 4, Shield 0. Target Lock, Barrel Roll, Evade, Focus. It has two missile slots. And I'm thinking that it has a special ability where if a TIE/fc has a TL on the same ship, then the TIE/gt may use the TIE/fc's Target Lock to re-roll dice, having spent it's own target lock to fire the missile in the first place.

Does that sound good? Also, I have no idea how to give this a point cost. Any help?

Thoughts?

--Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Firstly, very nice job on the conversion.

I like your basic stats and think it would cost around 12 to 13 points for a PS 1 version. Comparing to a TIE Fighter it is less agile, has much worse primary attack and likely a weaker maneuver dial (it would probably have a max speed of 4 for and only 1 K-turn at speed 4). It relies on having ordnance.

A version of a special ability could be: If an enemy ship has been Target Locked by another friendly ship you may spend this Target Lock for your own attacks. So you could give a Targeting computer to a regular TIE (to make an fc version).

So that would allow for a TL to fire the missiles and using another TL to grant the rerolls.

A title card could allow torpedoes to be swapped out for missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With your proposed statline, it has the risk of being decidedly worse than the HWK, which has a higher premium of points but can compensate out the weakness of the ship dial with the ability to take the flexibility of crew and the firing arc of a turret. Once your mini-bomber fires off its ordnance, it becomes decided worse than if you had just taken a different TIE instead, because you lose the agility of the TIE on top of the damage potential in exchange for one-shot ordnance and a little bit of hull.

An option for this would be to do something like the upgrade for the Scyk, and make a title for the regular TIE. This covers the fluff that the GT was configurable for various mission profiles and was effectively the intermediary between the TIE/LN and the Bomber.

Title:
"TIE/GT"
TIE Fighter only. Title.
Your Primary Weapon Value is now 1.
Your upgrade bar gains 2 Missile, 2 Torpedo or 1 Bomb upgrade icon.
Cost: 0

Regarding the concept of a synergy off the TIE/FC, I might do it via a systems upgrade:

"Advanced Sensors Suite"
TIE/fc Only
When a friendly ship within Range 1-3 fires on a target with a red target lock token corresponding to 1 of your blue target lock tokens, you may spend it to allow that ship to re-roll any of its attack dice.
Cost: 3-4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
SeijiTataki wrote:
With your proposed statline, it has the risk of being
"Advanced Sensors Suite"
TIE/fc Only
When a friendly ship within Range 1-3 fires on a target with a red target lock token corresponding to 1 of your blue target lock tokens, you may spend it to allow that ship to re-roll any of its attack dice.
Cost: 3-4

I think this would be better as a Title as well since it's going on a ship which can't equip systems normally. Both the /gt and /fc were modified TIE/ln

Alternatively, the title offers the systems upgrade and then this is the upgrade you take. Similar to the forthcoming X1 title for the TIE/ad. Perhaps that's what you meant.

Either way the /fc title should also reduce the fighter to 1 attack, to make room for systems upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work What did you use for the conversion?

I rather like the idea of the shared target lock as well.

Making both ships titles sounds like the way to go - though you then have to think about the effect of a named pilot ability on top of the new abilities/slots.

If you want to avoid that problem, then also say something like "may not be taken by a pilot skill higher than 4".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make it 2 attack, 2 agil 4 hull, zero shields, have the same actions and dial as the Tie-bomber, 1 missile, 1 bomb, and 1 torpedo slot and cost 12, given the 2 extra hull on the tie bomber. Why reinvent the wheel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The GT and FC variants of the TIE have less firepower than the TIE and the Bomber.

Both the TIE/ln and the Bomber use two laser cannons for their armaments; because the GT and FC used the LN's frame, one of the cannons was stripped for their additional specialized equipment packs. The FC lost the cannon for a sensor suite, and the GT lost a cannon for ordnance firing when they refit the frame.

The ship shouldn't have the Bomber dial, as it was still using the LN frame with minimal changes to the hull; if it was going to use inspiration from the Bomber Dial, I would turn the red turns and the green forward 1 into whites, with maybe adding the white forward 5 back to the dial so you get a ship that's somewhere between the two ships in terms of speed and maneuverability.

The reason I suggested adding a title to give the variable slotting is that because it was using the LN frame, the GT only had a limited armament capability. It could fit missiles or bombs or torpedoes, but did not have the space to fit all of them - which is why the bomber that replaced it had the additional space added to the frame in order to rack them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
JustinKase wrote:
Very nice work What did you use for the conversion?

I used the FFG TIE Fighter model and glued on mostly bits of Evergreen stock styrene (various shapes including tube, rods, strips, channel stock and sheets) and a few model parts, a brake disk or something from a 1:24 Chevy Impala and some small details of some sort from a 1:35 tanks detailing kit to make the bomb chute. I do have a pretty healty collection of donor kit, as I am actually more of a modeler than a gamer. Here's the back side:

Stat-wise, I feel that I do want the TIE/gt to be its own fish, so to speak. I like the idea of a modified TIE/Bomber Dial that J Lin suggested. And I like the idea to be able to swap out for Torpedoes or Mines. But I think I might handle it as a title, so as not to rob the ship of modification opportunities. Like "TIE/gt only. Torpedo Payload. Replace [2x Missile Slots] with [2x Torpedo Slots]. Cost 0." (Oh wait, you said title.... somehow I thought you said "modification" while I was typing... oh well)

But, I do like the idea of using just a TIE Fighter as the TIE/fc and doing it with a title card. "TIE Fighter only. TIE/fc. Change Primary Weapon value to 1 and gain Targeting Computer. Any target locks you have may also be used by any TIE/gt in range 1-3." and then maybe cost it like the Targeting Computer modification? But maybe just for 1 point as it's a targeting computer, sure, but also it nerfs your guns.

--Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that info on the parts - I should have also asked, what did you use for the paint color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
JustinKase wrote:
Thanks for that info on the parts - I should have also asked, what did you use for the paint color?

First I painted all the white plastic with a dark blue I mixed up, the idea being that if the spray missed areas the dark blue would act as suitable shadow. I was afraid of this with the wings in the way, but it turned out not to be a big deal. Then I sprayed with Tamiya Haze Gray, which is the closest currently available match to the original TIE Fighter color ILM used on the movie models. Then I brush painted in the canopy and black triangles on the wings. Then mixed a dark blue wash out of blue and black acrylics (Both Reaper MSP, I think). Then mixed up some acrylic to match the original Haze Gray and cleaned up some of the areas where the wash got out of hand.

I think I have the game mechanics worked out for this thing, but unless someone asks for it, I doubt I'll post them in this thread is it looks like it will have sank below the "page 1" horizon by the time I mock-up cards and the dial. But if there is interest, I might, though you'll just have to check back later.

Thanks for the interest, guys, and the interesting discussion!

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.