Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
End of the Monster Age
Link to the "draw your own" files!

The "draw your own" files is the game in its most basic state. All the icons and information are on the cards. What is waiting for you to express yourself are the monsters! Draw your own Crab Pirates, Zombie Chihuahua, Volcano of Sharks and more!

Designer

Shea Nash. Hi guys, I just jotted this game down on note cards and my kids love it. I love it. Its my first attempt at a cooperative game, though maybe it could be played solo too...but I guess that is true of any coop game. I'm going to try my best at finishing this and I will have a playable version up soon, but I've got some grand art ideas that may make me end up with a few cards unfinished by the end of the contest. But it will still be playable (:

Overview

In EOTMA, two players join forces to usher in a new age! A monster-less age where there is peace for the Human race. 2 players choose their heroes to lead against monsters of all kinds; Living Castles, Necromancers, and Piranhas with legs! The End of the Monster Age will only come when you have wiped out every single monster.

Game Play

Players each select two heroes to lead.

Monsters are numbered 1-20,25,30. 4 monsters are played out of the deck in front of the players. Players decide which of the 4 monsters they will send their heroes to attack. Since heroes all roll dice differently according to their unique abilities, it will take strategy to place them right. Players place heroes in front of the chosen monsters. Players roll dice according to their abilities. If they roll a combined total above the number on the card of the monster that is attacked that monster is vanquished and removed from the game. All monsters that are not vanquished in the round are upgraded plus 5 to their number (This will be tracked by rotating the card), heroes take damage for an unsuccessful attack, and new monsters are added back to 4 monsters. Vanquished monsters drop treasure which give bonuses and can be used to modify dice rolls for the next round.

Monsters are upgraded to plus 10 and then they have your party surrounded. Any monster upgraded to plus 10 that survives the round will give every hero damage no matter if it was being attacked or not.

Win the game by defeating every monster.
Lose the game when one of your heroes dies.

Suggested Play Time

20-30

Components

8 Hero Cards
22 Monster Cards
22 Treasure Cards
9 dice
4 Health trackers (paper clips)

PNP Contest Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang! Boom!
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Feed back for the card layout? Would this make sense for rotating to increase the monsters hit points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cute! So cute that I'm distracted from the layout!

(Though I do like the arrow-like lines pointing towards the 9 then the 11, since it does make it seem like the card should be rotated.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang! Boom!
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
adularia25 wrote:

(Though I do like the arrow-like lines pointing towards the 9 then the 11, since it does make it seem like the card should be rotated.)

It's not cute, Its ANGRY!!!!! haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
0Shea0 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

It's not cute, Its ANGRY!!!!! haha
Yeah... that's exactly what I say when I'm angry... and no one believe me either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang! Boom!
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
adularia25 wrote:

Oh bummer, that is a 6 not a 9 hmmm, maybe in the context of the other cards and with a diagram in the rules it will be clear which way it rotates, maybe the arrow should point the way it rotates instead of which number comes next. I'll try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0Shea0 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Oh bummer, that is a 6 not a 9 hmmm, maybe in the context of the other cards and with a diagram in the rules it will be clear which way it rotates.
It could be... but also, I'm a lefty, so I might be naturally inclined to rotate cards opposite of what you expect. (And 6s and 9s are notoriously hard to tell apart... maybe add a dot or line to the base of one?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang! Boom!
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge

hmmm maybe this does make more sense in a rotational sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
0Shea0 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Oh bummer, that is a 6 not a 9 hmmm, maybe in the context of the other cards and with a diagram in the rules it will be clear which way it rotates, maybe the arrow should point the way it rotates instead of which number comes next. I'll try that.

Your arrow pointing to the next number is logical, particularly as the style of arrow suggests flow. I think the misunderstanding was that it's unclear if the number is a 9 or a 6. What does it look like with an underscore beneath the number like you get on a polyhedral dice face to denote which way you look at the number?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang! Boom!
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
List of Monsters.

I've come up with this list of monsters that will range from easy to hard. I'll take change and reordering suggestions especially for 8-10 cause, you know...yawn. The style of the game is humorous and light. Thanks!

1 Angry Wyrm
2 Army Ants (I'll give them swords)
3 Magic Rabbit (it's got teeth like...)
4 Zombie Chihaaha
5 Piranhas with legs
6 Shoulder Demon
7 Enchanted Armor
8 Mummy
9 Yeti
10 Troll
11 Invisible Ninja
12 Crab Pirates
13 Bearmangoat
14 Rock Giant
15 Giant Flying Spiders
16 Hydrapede
17 Legion of Monster Ghosts
18 Wizard Dragon
19 Living Castle
20 Necromancer
21 Army of Orcs
22 Volcano of Sharks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0Shea0 wrote:
22 Volcano of Sharks
A sharkano! Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
You need some golems! Golems made of strange materials. Your rock giant sounds rather golemy (and large). But he needs a soup golem friend. And the soup golem needs a spoon golem. Maybe an elbow golem (actual elbows or macaroni-- your choice. Apparently I'm hungry).

If you're unhappy with your 8-10, consider adding some unusual elements to them or something. Flower mummy! Magma Yeti. Underpants Troll.

I notice you don't have any dinosaurs. That seems eminently correctable.

I'm thinking something like a centaur, but with some other animal instead of the horse half. Perhaps a half man, half bee.

I'd probably put some actual historical figure ranked somewhere in the middle without actually trying to scary them up. Like William Shakespeare at number 12, because that's my particular brand of humor. But I'll readily admit he's not really a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gratuitous Gremlins
Misanthropic Mermen
Incredulous Imps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad Mummy. He just wants a hug!

Spaghetti Yeti. Beware his-uh meat-uh balls-uh.

Boat Troll. Most trolls guard the crossing over a river. He guards the crossing over an ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I really like some of those ideas! So here are some of mine:

Sock Mummy. For centuries he's been stealing all the left socks!

Not Yeti. He's never ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang! Boom!
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Haha awesome guys thanks, I will ponder your suggestions and make some changes keep em coming!

Here is the layout for the hero card

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IzToK
Slovenia
Maribor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sloth on speed (if speed is not appropriate use caffeine or something) - nobody knows what sloth can do when he is on overdrive arrrh

Ice skating octopus - 8 blades can do some serious damage

Falcon BB squadron (BB stands for bio bombs)- when they send poop to your eyes with speed over 300km/h, you must rest for a turn to clean your eyes.

Aye Aye eyes - his look just scare you and reduce your attack (you drop one dice out of fear).

Acid spiting llama - don`t mess with content of three stomachs eating at local toxic waste disposal. gulp

Add some color to the card is it a little "empty" at the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

HAH! This one's my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

HAH! This one's my favorite.
Thanks! I rather enjoyed the rhyming quality of your Spaghetti Yeti! Which I admit inspired my Not Yeti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy long legs with dentures. Everyone knows they are the most poisonous creature on the planet,but have no way of biting...until now!

Chameleopard, he can change his spots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Techstar wrote:
Chameleopard, he can change his spots
Ooo... that reminds me of the Camelopard... otherwise known as the *dun dun DUN* the Giraffe.

Animal names used to be so awesome in the past!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang! Boom!
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
K got all the hero cards worked out. Every game you draw a different set so it should change your strategies a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good. Does the beast master travel with a couple of ferrets? Does the swordsman have a dodgy 3 bladed sword? I can see lots of potential for the heros just like the monsters. Need to revisit my collection of 80's fantasy films now. Can't wait to see how this progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I. Love. This.

edit: Also, putting "He's never ready" as flavor text would be awesome. Even if (or especially if?) the rest of the monsters lack flavor text.

Either way, you win at internets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls