Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] WWII [+] [View All]
George Ratcliff
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a multi player WW2 game thats not too complicated and would play in a hour or two.
Thanks George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that almost any WW2 game can clock in at under two hours as long as you can convince the German player to lose in Poland.

Seriously, though, good luck with your quest...I've never found such a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mr. Wallace has a decent point. Any game that both supports 3 or more players, and covers WWII in two hours or less, and any resemblance such a game bears to WWII, is questionable.

Are you talking about the entirety of WWII, or would you settle for an individual theater, such as France in 1940, or an individual battle, such as Midway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the advanced search feature. I looked for WWII wargames, rated 6 or higher, complexity 1-3, that took no more than 2 hours to play. the only strategic game on the list was World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945. I have not played this game, although I have it on my want list, so I can't recommend it. It was the only game that seemed to fit your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe I'm missing the obvious choice, but how about Memoir '44?

multi player WW2 game - check

thats not too complicated - check

and would play in a hour or two - check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mem 44 is only a 2-player game (unless you have 2 sets).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get two copies of Memoir '44 and play the Overlord scenarios. This can scale between 2 and 8 players. Rules can be downloaded from Days of Wonder http://www.daysofwonder.com/

My second choice would be Gio Games "War to Axis". It's a bit like Memoir, but they try to add some additional elements like Zones of Control, reaction fire, various types of armor to make the game more historical. Units are designated as being in forces A, B, or Reserve, which could be handled by separate players. The game is listed as playing in 180 minutes, but that seems long to me; the review at http://www.grognard.com/reviews1/wartoaxis.doc seems to indicate 90-120 minutes. The rules can be downloaded from http://giogames.it so you can check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption was that he was looking for a strategic-level game, but that was pure inference. If you're looking for something lighter and lower-level, then by all means spring for two copies of Memoir 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yeah .... I bought two copies of memoir 44. You basically take any pair of scenarios(they don't have to be the same scenario) and put the boards side by side. The victory condition is the total of medals of both scenario. Each player on a side has his own deck of cards and is in charge of his own board. Units that move sideways to the other board come under the command of your partner.

You can even play 3 players. One player handles both boards on one of the sides.

Simple rules... about an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ratcliff
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your replies. I did think about Memoir 44 but I didn't know if buying 2 games would be worth it. I also thought about Axis & Allies but I didn't like the 4 hour game time. Playing just a single battle like Midway or D-Day would be fine.
Thanks George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parkin
United Kingdom
Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
If it is a strategic game that you're looking for then "Second World War" fits your criteria.

It plays in less than an hour (20mins if you really don't stop to think)
Can be played 2 or 3 player (though the Soviets have fairly limited decision making in the 3 player game).
very simple rules.

Best of all it's a free download.

Probably not a game you'll play forever but surprisingly good for such a small package. I'm taking a big (6' x 4') version with miniatures to a wargames show in a fortnight . . . next year perhaps I'll add the Pacific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies: D-Day is playable in an hour or two. Can play up to
3 players(British, American, German)http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10081

Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge is going to be playable in
2 hours with up to 3 players. Its supposed to be released
Nov.17th I believe. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22457

Remember you can also put a time limit on most WWII games.
Just figure out what the end game victory conditions are for
the limited time.

Goodluck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945, that should be playable in about that amount of time. It only covers Europe but seats two to four (I've played two and three - both work fine!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine got into Crossfire WWII miniatures rules, very simple ruleset with a lot of possibilities. Basically it's a miniatures game that uses terrain and line of sight rather than measurements to move, and there are no set turns. You move and take actions until you fail to do something, then it goes back to the other player like a tennis match. It can handle up to 6-7 players depending on the size of the play area. The rules can be used with any figures and you can use pieces of cut cloth shaped to represent terrain features so conceivably you could play it with Dime Store army men and pieces of construction paper, although it's more fun the better the figures look.

It's a little hard to find, but you can still order it from some online stores.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8066

http://crossfire.wargaming.info/

Where to buy:
http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_..._

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to be patient for two or three months until we know more about the upcoming "Tide of Iron" from FFG. This is described as a big-box tactical WW II game with infantry, tanks and other vehicles and modular board.

It seems likely that some scenarios would play fairly quickly and also that multiple players could easily be placed in command of various units in a scenario.

Unknown at this time whether the game is scaled to 1-to-1 (one piece represents one man or vehicle) or larger--squad or platoon.

Reportedly the game will contain "hundreds" of plastic miniatures, according to FFG.

If you're in a hurry, "Axis & Allies Europe" plays well with three or four. Although it is longer than a one-hour game, it is an enjoyable game and I don't think you'll mind the time invested. "Axis & Allies Battle of the Bulge" sounds promising: you can read Larry Harris' designer's notes on the Hasbro/AH site.

"World in War" is also fast with some fresh systems.

The "Memoir '44 Overlord" suggestion is good for multiplayer; however, not many Overlord scenarios are available. An interesting alternative would simply be to get together with three friends and play two games side-by-side using the same scenario and observing how differently things come out from game to game. M'44 is a great game and plays very fast; don't be put-off by the reported long set-up time, it really isn't bad at all. You can always set the game up while your friends are on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Any game that both supports 3 or more players, and covers WWII in two hours or less, and any resemblance such a game bears to WWII, is questionable.

In boardgame format, this is true. If you are willing to look at alternatives, apparently Gary Grigsby's World at War fits the bill nicely. From Greg Costikyan's weblog (http://www.costik.com/weblog/2005_05_01_blogchive.html#11151...):

Quote:
World at War is essentially "Axis & Allies done historical." That is, it features areas rather than hexes, representational units rather than historical ones, a system vastly simpler than most of his games, and total playtime of maybe 4 hours.. this is an excellent high-strategic simulation of World War II that allows you to experiment with a variety of strategies

Now if someone could just adapt these ideas to boardgame format, we might have something really good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.