139 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Ship and Crew : Millennium Falcon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harold Helms
msg tools
I have been looking through here for a while and have not seen the Falcon done (if you have and I missed it sorry) and wondered if there was a reason. I hope not cause she was the first ship I thought of when thinking of what would be a cool ship here. I am completely disabled in regards to graphics so text only, at least for now. And for the most part the prices are SWAGs so please toss me a bone with comments and suggestions.

Millennium Falcon
Drive : Unique drive Modified Xunsu Whisper X1
(6)
1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn. When initiating a Full Burn roll Dice, on result of 1 spend one part or Full Stop.
Whenever a Reaver or Alliance Ship enters your current Sector, you may immediately roll a Dice:
1-2: No effect.
3-6: Evade.
Crew : 4
Cargo : 4
Passengers : 4
Stash : 4
Upgrade slots : 1
Two quad-cannons : Fight 4
Treaty Violation : Always an Outlaw ship. If captured by Alliance Cruiser replace ship with YT-1300.

YT-1300
Drive : Radion Accelerator Mark I
(5)
1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn.
Upgrade slots : 3

CREW

Han Solo
LEADER
PILOT
MORAL
Fight : 1
Tech : 2
Once per turn can treat a Neg Skill Test as a Fight Skill Test. "It was a boring conversation anyway"
WANTED

Chewbacca
MECHANIC
MORAL
Fight : 2
Tech : 1
If freed in Jail Break will work for no Cut, as a "Life Debt". "Arrrww?"
$300
WANTED

C3PO
COMPANION (Protocol Droid)
MORAL
Neg : 2
Work for no Cut. May not be given Fight Gear. "We are doomed for sure."
$1,000 to Hire only.
WANTED

R2-D2
HACKING RIG
MORAL
Work for no Cut. May not be given Fight Gear. "Beep Beep Bop."
$1,000 to Hire only.
WANTED

Luke Skywalker
PILOT
MORAL
Tech : 1
Use the Force : Once per Turn can add 1 to any Dice Roll before it is rolled. "I could almost see the remote."
$300

Ben Kenobi
PILOT
MORAL
Jedi Master : Once per Turn can add 3 to any Dice Roll before it is rolled. "The Force is a powerful allie."
OR
Jedi Master : Once per Turn treated as an Ace for any Neg Skill Test. "These are not the droids you are looking for."
Will not work an Immoral Job : Will stay on the ship during Immoral Jobs.
$300
WANTED

Senator Leia Organa
FANCY DUDS
MORAL
Imperial Senator : May reroll any Neg Skill Test once. "I am not a commity"
$200
WANTED

And yes I stole the "Treaty Violation" from the Lindholme but it seem to me to fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think R2-D2 should be moral.

Something about that droid in the movies made think he was always willing to do whatever was necessary to get the job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wile Coyote wrote:
R2-D2
HACKING RIG
MORAL
Work for no Cut. May not be given Fight Gear. "Beep Beep Bop."
$1,000 to Hire only.
WANTED

Now I have picture in my head of R2 wearing Jayne's hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Helms
msg tools
Yeah but is shocking Jabbas little rat thing really immoral?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would make the droids gear. I am using "Lenore" the love bot as my model.

R2D2: Gear
Counts as Mechanic & Contraband
HACKING GEAR
$1000

C3PO: Gear
Counts as Contraband
FANCY DUDS
$1000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Helms
msg tools
I thought gear at first but went with crew as they doing things independent of others the fist 10 min of the movie for instance. Also as gear they would have to be assigned to someone, could you see Jayne with C3PO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
C3PO starts the movie assigned to Captain Antilles and R2D2 is assigned to Leia.

They get confiscated (discarded to the Tattoine supply world) and then reacquired by Luke.

Then he reassigns them to Leia and Han again.

Later he trades them to Jabba and the reacquires them. And so on. They are clearly gear.

Yes, yes I could, and I suspect the dialog would be much like the Star Wars film.
C-3PO: "Just you reconsider playing that message for him."
[Jayne grunts]
"No! I don't think he likes you at all."
[Jayne punches C-3PO]
"No. I don't like you either."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes I can imagine Jayne and Threepio - it would be awesome!

Seriously though, Artoo and Threepio are much more independent tha most so although the Lenore precedent exists, I vote for crew.

These guys are essentially sentient and there's no indication that Lenore is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing about gear is that has to be carried, driven, or operated. Droids may require instruction, but a) they don't have to be carried and b) the don't require constant oversight. Thematically they are closer to crew than gear. If you want to go further down the rabbit hole, they don't require crew quarters so you could argue that they don't take up a crew slot. As a balance, I might (?) also rule that they cannot carry any equipment as this is not something we see happen in the films very often.

Using love-bot as a template may not be appropriate. I don't remember her ever standing up or moving around in the movie. The real problem here is that droids don't fit into the Firefly canon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Helms
msg tools
Yeah I have no fight Gear but I could see no Gear. It kind of helps balance that whole no Cut thing.
I don't think I want the no crew slot thing for balance reasons if nothing else, besides they have to stand somewhere.
Yes definitely a square peg round hole event, but such a fun peg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Helms
msg tools
I have been kicking this around in my head all day and to me they still seem like Crew.

But if it is Crew you Hire but don't pay a Cut, who can't use gear and don't need Crew Slots.

OR

Gear that you Buy and don't count as Gear Limit.

It is really seeing the same thing from opposite sides. As Gear would be a few less words on a card that may be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Helms
msg tools
The longer I look at it the more I think it was a mistake to put the quads on.
While it pains me to see the Falcon without her guns it just don't sit right with the rest of the ships, so maybe this instead?

Millennium Falcon
Drive : Unique drive Modified Xunsu Whisper X1
(6)
1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn. When initiating a Full Burn roll Dice, on result of 1 spend one part or Full Stop.
Whenever a Reaver or Alliance Ship enters your current Sector, you may immediately roll a Dice:
1-2: No effect.
3-6: Evade.
Upgrade slots : 3
Known Outlaw : Always an Outlaw ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My worlds are colliding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy of mine was wanting to add the Falcon to the game, so I've been looking at everybody's ideas on here. Love it! It's still a work in progress, but here's what I came up with so far:

Now for a ship cost...gwek, any figures you can throw in on that? Does it seem balanced enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, there's a lot going on there. With the shear volume of abilities it would be hard to assign a cost to it. However, I am concerned with the power of the Quad Cannons ability--effectively adding +4 to piracy attempts seems excessive for a ship that is never used for piracy in the movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:
Wow, there's a lot going on there. With the shear volume of abilities it would be hard to assign a cost to it. However, I am concerned with the power of the Quad Cannons ability--effectively adding +4 to piracy attempts seems excessive for a ship that is never used for piracy in the movies.

You're right. I added that at the last minute without thinking it through too much. I think leaving it applying to flying and Boarding Tests only, and not Piracy would be better.

But, it really only means you get a +2 bonus, and your opponent better pick a skill other than fight, unless they've got plenty of guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With respect to pricing, I would go with (does some math) about $8200... including the Drive Core, but NOT accounting for the special abilities.

Although I like the theme of each of the negative abilities, three of them seems like a lot on one ship.

Obviously, each of those would reduce cost a bit (probably by -300 to -600 each), but the ship starts to get pretty crazy.

With respect to the quad cannons, on one hand, I can see the desire to include them. On the other, they're a representation of ship to ship combat, which really has no direct correlation in Firefly.

Even if include, as Carl hints at, the nature of things is different. Do the guns really help the Falcon with boarding? Not so much. They function more like the Flak Gun, driving off attackers. In a sense, this is already accounted for in the Xunsu Whisper Drive, to a degree.

While we're on the nature of ships, the Falcon being so small, relatively speaking, flies in the face of it's nature to some extent. It's a smuggling vessel... Yet has a smaller Stash than the standard Firefly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good input, as always!

gwek wrote:
With respect to pricing, I would go with (does some math) about $8200... including the Drive Core, but NOT accounting for the special abilities.

Although I like the theme of each of the negative abilities, three of them seems like a lot on one ship.

You're right, but the only people who would use it are people who want a little flavor of Star Wars, and would likely enjoy it "feeling" like they were really dealing with the Falcon, right?

gwek wrote:
Obviously, each of those would reduce cost a bit (probably by -300 to -600 each), but the ship starts to get pretty crazy.

With respect to the quad cannons, on one hand, I can see the desire to include them. On the other, they're a representation of ship to ship combat, which really has no direct correlation in Firefly.

Here's a rough idea of the pros and cons. The numbers represent interpreted importance, not how many points or spaces or anything:
Cargo/Stash: -2
Junk: -2
Upgrades: -1
Breakdowns: -1 (tech penalty)
Outlaw: -1
Crew: 0
Salvage: 0 (bonus to fight, penalty to tech)
Boarding Tests: +2 (fight bonus/penalty)
Drive Core: +3
Would that be balanced enough if Piracy was removed? Wait...Boarding tests can't use fight anyway...forgot about that. What if the Quad Cannons add negotiate points to Boarding tests, as in "Hi, we've innocently pointed our rather large guns at you. Your ship has none. Mind if we come aboard?"

gwek wrote:
Even if include, as Carl hints at, the nature of things is different. Do the guns really help the Falcon with boarding? Not so much. They function more like the Flak Gun, driving off attackers. In a sense, this is already accounted for in the Xunsu Whisper Drive, to a degree.

True.
gwek wrote:
While we're on the nature of ships, the Falcon being so small, relatively speaking, flies in the face of it's nature to some extent. It's a smuggling vessel... Yet has a smaller Stash than the standard Firefly.

Hmm...maybe he just specializes in tiny contraband? If the fight bonus is removed, what do you think would balance out the penalties it carries? One more stash slot to match the Dodger, or something different?

Maybe change the Quad Cannons to just benefit during flight, so the only thing they would help out on is certain Salvage Ops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be clear, when I said the negative abilities, I meant the three unique "named" abilities. My projected cost accounts for the other stuff.

Take those away, and it's actually pretty similar to the Artful Dodger, but trading one Stash, Crew, and Upgrade for the added benefit of the Whisper Drive.

Actually, now that I look at that, my math might be off...

Yep. My math was off. I make it $8000 before the "named" abilities are factored in. If the engine is "locked" and can't be replaced, that goes down to $7600.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
To be clear, when I said the negative abilities, I meant the three unique "named" abilities. My projected cost accounts for the other stuff.

Right.
gwek wrote:
Take those away, and it's actually pretty similar to the Artful Dodger, but trading one Stash, Crew, and Upgrade for the added benefit of the Whisper Drive.

Actually, now that I look at that, my math might be off...

Yep. My math was off. I make it $8000 before the "named" abilities are factored in. If the engine is "locked" and can't be replaced, that goes down to $7600.

I wasn't going to lock in the engine, though it is one of the best ones. Something that might help balance out the negatives would be using the stash to ignore a certain number of wanted rolls...since they did hide in it in the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll be curious to see if he joins the conversation, but another poster and I were just talking about the Falcon last night, and that was one idea we discussed (via PM).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How 'bout this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking at the special abilities:

1) If you decide to keep the Quad Guns, I think the nature needs to change to reflect the board game.

2) The Death Mark is nice flavor, but given how often the ship goes undercover, I'm not sure it's needed. It's kind of the same degree of Wanted as Serenity, no?

3) It's Not My Fault! and Hunk o' Junk are both nice flavor, but perhaps redundant. Maybe there's a way to combine them? AND put them on the engine (bear with me), and lock it in?

I would consider making the engine unique, range 6 + something bad. Then add the Quad Guns as an upgrade that's basically a variant of the Xunsu's special ability - a die roll to drive off another ship (rather than a die roll to escape).

I'm not sure what that would do the the cost, because there are so many different factors at play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Looking at the special abilities:

1) If you decide to keep the Quad Guns, I think the nature needs to change to reflect the board game.

Any idea how? I'm coming up empty.
gwek wrote:
2) The Death Mark is nice flavor, but given how often the ship goes undercover, I'm not sure it's needed. It's kind of the same degree of Wanted as Serenity, no?

True.
gwek wrote:
3) It's Not My Fault! and Hunk o' Junk are both nice flavor, but perhaps redundant. Maybe there's a way to combine them? AND put them on the engine (bear with me), and lock it in?

I would consider making the engine unique, range 6 + something bad. Then add the Quad Guns as an upgrade that's basically a variant of the Xunsu's special ability - a die roll to drive off another ship (rather than a die roll to escape).

Putting them on a special set of cards would be great, I was just trying to make the ship card easy to integrate quickly...like for a game tonight, hopefully. Aside from that, a whole batch of cards would be great that integrate the various aspects of it, and a slew of crew.
gwek wrote:
I'm not sure what that would do the the cost, because there are so many different factors at play.

Yup, it's going to be tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want it for TONIGHT, that's a different story!

How about:

QUAD GUNS:

Whenever a Reaver or Alliance Ship enters your current Sector, you may immediately roll a Dice: 1-2: No effect. 3-6: Move the Reaver or Alliance Ship 1 Sector. Warrant Issued for non-Reaver Ships.

Then, just use the 6 range engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.