Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Submerge Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Gulp
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let me start off by saying that the game is great. I have been able to play it 2 times so far with my gaming group and it’s a hit. So far during our 2 games the only item that has had questions about how it works would be Cthulhu’s submerge ability.

For reference here is the ability found on the spell book.
Submerge (Action: Cost 1): If Cthulhu is in an Ocean Area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction card, along with any or all friendly Units in the same area. On a later Action, perform Submerge again to place Cthulhu (plus any accompanying Units) anywhere on the map.

Here is how we interpret and play this ability. On Cthulhu’s turn he pays 1 power and Submerges as his sole action. He can still move other troops, and even battle of he has 6 spell books, but if he doesn't then Submerge is his sole action. Then on his next turn he pays 1 power and performs Submerge to pop up anywhere with his units as his sole action that turn.

This has led to 2 questions:
1) Unless he has 6 spell books he can’t attack the same turn he reemerges in an area, correct?

2) In the rule book strategy tip section for Cthulhu, it says that if he “strikes” in an ocean area he can Submerge ”almost immediately” after the “strike”, but if Submerge is his action how can he do it twice on the same turn (i.e. Submerge-strike-Submerge)? We read this to mean that he pays 1 power to reemerge in an ocean area and attack, then on his next turn he pays 1 power to Submerge vacating the area. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on both counts. It would be nice to be able to immediately submerge again however (assuming your army is still a cohesive unit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Cthulhu Submerges, that is his sole action. Because each faction can only perform a single action at a time, that means he can't also move other troops or declare battle. If he wants to do those things, each of them is done one at a time during subsequent rounds, separate from Submerge. The exception to this is Unlimited Actions, such as Controlling/Abandoning a Gate and Unlimited Battle.

1) Yes. See above.
2) By "Almost Immediately", they mean as your next action, you can Submerge Cthulhu with his remaining forces. If Cthulhu had instead attacked a land area, he'd have to move all his units back to an Ocean Area first, before later Re-Submerging them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Greek
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have also one aditional question regarding submerge. When it says "on a later action" does it mean that it has to be the inmediate next one or could Cthulhu and his army remain submerged for a couple of turns. What if he uses submerge with his very last power point... then all the units, including cultists, that submerged would be out of play for the gather power phase right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"On a later action" means on any later action, not "On your next action". So yes, you can leave Cthulhu submerged for as long as you want. If he is Submerged during the Gather Power or Doom Phase, he and his units are still considered to be in play. This means Cultists and Y'ha Nthlei still give you Power, and if you perform a Ritual of Annihilation you will get an Elder Sign for Cthulhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Greek
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is amazing! Submerge is even better than I thought. Thank you Adam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! Submerge is a pretty neat spellbook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Submerge also has an interesting interplay with Y'ha Nthlei (which gets power from enemy controlled gates in the ocean).

One one hand, attacking enemy controlled gates in oceans allows you to submerge back in without having to re-position your guys. This can be a massive savings in power, depending on what you're attacking. You are giving up the power you would have gained via Y'ha Nthlei though.

On the other hand, attacking enemy controlled gates on land is a total positive. You don't lose the power from Y'ha Nthlei and you may potentially get a gate out of it. But depending on the amount of pains and if Madness is in play, getting another submerge attack might not be as feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.