Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone created miniatures of the different structures for this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You look in forums like Settlers of Catan, or even Suburbia, and people have made 3D versions of the board, with plastic miniature structures painted to look like their tiles.

Has anyone ever done anything similar with Terra Mystica, and created Dwellings, Strongholds, etc. to replace the plain blocks? I did a quick browse of "creative" in the images section, but couldn't find anything.

I think this game would be so much better with actual real-looking buildings, no? Bring out the theme a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
You look in forums like Settlers of Catan, or even Suburbia, and people have made 3D versions of the board, with plastic miniature structures painted to look like their tiles.

Has anyone ever done anything similar with Terra Mystica, and created Dwellings, Strongholds, etc. to replace the plain blocks? I did a quick browse of "creative" in the images section, but couldn't find anything.

I think this game would be so much better with actual real-looking buildings, no? Bring out the theme a bit more.

They'd have to still fit the footprint on the playerboard, and every race's would have to be similar so there wouldn't be confusion over which pieces is which type of piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:

I haven't seen anything like this. It would require two sets per color but I still think it would be neat if someone put in the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
velvetvoulge wrote:

They'd have to still fit the footprint on the playerboard, and every race's would have to be similar so there wouldn't be confusion over which pieces is which type of piece.

I can just envision something like these, but painted in each colour, replacing the standard wooden blocks. I suppose you would be limited to playing one race in each colour if you did want to play with something like them, though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1920810/suburbia

Note: the Suburbia tiles are not much larger than those in TM any way, so footprint wouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an easy 3D Printer project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
McJarvis wrote:
They'd have to still fit the footprint on the playerboard
Note: the Suburbia tiles are not much larger than those in TM any way, so footprint wouldn't be a problem.
The problem is not whether they fit on a hex on the map, but that they fit on the playerboard which assumes small rectangles for dwellings, slightly longer rectangles for trading posts, circles for temples etc. Of course if somebody does the labor of love to create and use creative buildings, that same someone can redesign the playerboards to fit the new buildings as well.

McJarvis wrote:
[...] and every race's would have to be similar so there wouldn't be confusion over which pieces is which type of piece.
I think this is the main hurdle: Each building needs to be easily recognizable as a dwelling/trading post/temple/stronghold/sanctuary, regardless of faction. So from the creative point of view, a halfling temple should look completely different from a Mermaid temple, but for the practical purpose of smooth playing, both need to be easily recognizable as temples and not be mistaken for another building type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
velvetvoulge wrote:
McJarvis wrote:
They'd have to still fit the footprint on the playerboard
The problem is not whether they fit on a hex on the map, but that they fit on the playerboard which assumes small rectangles for dwellings, slightly longer rectangles for trading posts, circles for temples etc. Of course if somebody does the labor of love to create and use creative buildings, that same someone can redesign the playerboards to fit the new buildings as well.

McJarvis wrote:
[...] and every race's would have to be similar so there wouldn't be confusion over which pieces is which type of piece.
I think this is the main hurdle: Each building needs to be easily recognizable as a dwelling/trading post/temple/stronghold/sanctuary, regardless of faction. So from the creative point of view, a halfling temple should look completely different from a Mermaid temple, but for the practical purpose of smooth playing, both need to be easily recognizable as temples and not be mistaken for another building type.

It might be cool to just come up with custom strongholds and sanctuaries for each faction (or maybe just for each color), and then see if it makes sense to do custom dwellings, trading posts, and temples as well.

Man, this makes me want to fire up the 3D solid modeling software...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend was thinking about getting a 3D printer so I was messing around with a few ideas. I think you can make custom shapes that fit the footprint and function for both factions of that color. My best idea was to have the strongholds be more faction specific by having them be essentially reversible.

Engineers/Dwarves

Yetis/Ice Maidens

Also modeled all the basic shapes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridges would probably the easiest to customize per faction: they could be broader and/or higher than the default stick without the risk of not fitting somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.