Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I batter at the gates of Paris in my pbem game, both of us at limited war but me being far, far behind in WS (he's almost to TW), I wonder what went wrong in some respects of my card play. So I guess this is a more general question--with allies or CP, what is your attitude towards the different cards and types and which ones should be burned for WS as events?

Obviously the easy answer is play them whenever you can if you don't absolutely need the ops... but anyway.

My (newb) attitude:

Reinforcements--play these whenever possible as events, even if it is culling a bunch of 3-4 ops from your deck. I play almost every single reinforcement I get and even go so far as to save extra ones for the next turn.

2 op combat events--use and get rid of these even if you don't need the effect in combat, i.e. get pleve out of there.

2 op events--get rid of these when possible--but for me it's easier said than done. I find myself getting rid of low op combat events quickly and easily but being forced to hang on to stupid cards like oberost because I really, really needed the ops. This is definitely a place I feel like my play could improve--I'd like to hear what you think the best way to get rid of some of these is.

Neutral nations--Maybe I'm going way against the grain on this one, but I feel like if you don't need the nation at question (if Turkey is pretty well protected without Bulgaria and the allies haven't made a move at all, for example) don't play these as events. I feel like where these are most useful is played as an RP card, because they yield so many RPs--there's nothing like them (esp. in limited war) in that regard.

Early high ops cards that enable stuff for later--something like landships springs to mind. I can never seem to get landships played as an event--I always seem to play it as ops or (more commonly) replacements. In general I would say my 4 ops cards usually get used as replacements for me--the added benefit of being able to activate one more unit doesn't tend for me to overcome the additional 1 RP for each nation in my stable that a 4 ops card gives. Again, I'm not sure if this is good play but this is just an observation about my own play...

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now but I'm really curious what other people consider the best way to play certain types of cards--I feel like I really need to improve my game right now. I think I'm playing *way* too direct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always play Bulgaria as an event. (My wife is Bulgarian so I feel somehow unpatriotic if I leave them out). I like to stack the Bulgarians with the 11th Army. They can use up some of those Bulgarian RPs and they add some punch to the Eastern/Southern front. But it is tempting to hold on to it for the replacements.

I only play the Romanians as an event when forced to (either being desperately behind in WS or to prevent losing VPs). Considering how quickly Italy can get you in trouble I ought to consider holding on to it a little longer too!

The one I really have a hard time playing as an event is "H-L Takes Command". I know it unleashes all kinds of other goodies, but it's just so powerful as a straight Ops or RP card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a relative beginner (10 games or parts of games so far.)

The following post on CSW by Jim Falling has proven helpful to me. He outlines the priorities in POG.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@1019.Lm2DcKJTqMU.104@.ee...

The key excerpt is this:

1) Play War Status Events

2) Play RPs

3) Entrench

4) Do fancy things

Note that reinforcements is included in 4). Also note what priority holds down the top spot on the list.

The CSW message board for PoG is voluminous, but it contains a wealth of useful advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely sure there's great stuff at consimworld but it's virtually unreadable for me...

That's an interesting progression. I see why it works, but it doesn't seem that fun to me? I don't know. Not many ops or much movement if you follow that advice. Which is I guess the point? I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I see 1) and 2) as building up your economy. If you think the war's going to be short, you can ignore your economy, but in a long war, ignoring your economy will kill you.

Generally, PoG is a long war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good analogy Brosius, I agree with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
A late reply here.

I think you have to get to 4 WS in the first two turns of the game both as the AP and the CP to improve your chances of winning (or at least it will increase your chances should your opponent lag behind in WS).

As the CP that really means you have to open with GoA and then play Reichtag truce and Oberost as events during the first two turns unless the AP is kind enough to play Moltke which allows you to play Falkenheyn instead. Even then I would still play the other two as events and use Falkenheyn for RPs. A non CP opening will slow this down, and I really don't recommend it.

For the AP it's easier, just play Rape of Belgium and Blockade. You can usually get one of the BR reinforcements in as well bringing you up to 5 WS in two turns.

Playing these cards for events as soon as possible also culls the deck which makes you draw important cards faster later on. Culling the deck is where the game is won and lost really and it is this point most newbies forget and just play for OPs all the time.

My rules for card play would be:

1) Play the important events if you have them. This of course requires you to know which events are the important ones. For the CPS you have to get to TW ASAP and can only afford not to play 3 WS card as events. Decide early on which cards to save and play the rest when you get them. I usually save Falkenheyn and Place of Execution if possible and play the rest as events. This of course requires you to advance in Russia to be able to play Tsar Takes Command.

Know when to play the Entrench card as event and when not to also comes in here. It's a great card to get that vital trench with but sometimes it's better not to play it so the other player can't entrench if you're on the offensive.

2) Play at least one RP card every turn, you'll need it. Don't forget to rebuild those corps!

3) Get low value events out of the deck if possible.

4) Other stuff. Entrench is important yes, but try to build this into other activations.

These rules are of course just guidelines, you can't and don't always want to follow them. The France gamble where you try to crush France in the first couple of turns as the CP, totally disregarding all other fronts is an example where you wouldn't play any event for WS apart from GoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the need to play WS as the highest priority....but I prefer NOT to play GoA as the CP. The consequences are harder on the AP than the CP player in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I agree with the need to play WS as the highest priority....but I prefer NOT to play GoA as the CP. The consequences are harder on the AP than the CP player in my opinion.

I think a non GoA game gets weird and often boring. Besides I usually play the historical variant that require the CP to open with GoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing this as pretty much the opposite of Twilight Struggle: play your starred events at every possible opportunity. But this is partly because I like to work towards Russian Capitulation/American Intervention. If you intend to simply use those juicy cards for Ops then I guess you could have a different approach.

I also play cards for War Status whenever possible, at least until I reach Total War. Playing Guns of August falls into this category for me. If as Central Powers one doesn't play Guns of August, one may not be able to get to Limited War by the end of turn 2. Actually there is a scenario in which you could be unable to get to LW even with GofA: this is where your starting hand contains no CCs at all. In which case there's a 1/7 chance that either Oberost or Reichstag Truce will be on the bottom of the deck and so not available when you draw for turn 2. If you do have a CC in your starting hand you can discard it at turn end (or, better still, play it during the turn) and this guarantees picking up the rest of the pack.

Now true, the Allies will also be unable to get to Limited War by the end of turn 2 when GofA is unplayed. (They can only play one British reinforcement card in Turns 1-2, so they only get to 3, even if they go right through their deck). So the question becomes whom it favours to have a longer mobilisation period. Probably too big a question for this post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Card play in POG invariably comes down to how your opponent plays his progression through the various decks, mo, lw, tw. His style will to a certain extent have an effect on your own style.

With this in mind it is a reasonable strategy to rush through mobilisation as the Germans but less so for the allies. the allies have a lot of reinforcement cards plus one or two other high point cards such as rape of belguim and blockade for a quick advance to limited war to be inadvisable.

The move towards total war quickly after entering limited war should aid the allied player in planning an end game gambit.

You will find the other players style or cardplay will invariably decide how you can best play your own cards.

A good rule of thumb is to use your best cards twice, once as operations and again as an event. Of course there are always exceptions.
Other player, remember? lol

cheers Stu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.