BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Microbadge issues: administration summary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: microbadge [+] [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
The 'slot idea' may conflict with special microbadges that are awarded for contests, being Geek of the Week, etcetera.

Yes, but if you read my suggestion you'd see that I wanted some badges like GW to be fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(3) lower the price of microbadges to 5 GG

I missed the more lengthy discussions but I think this one makes the most sense. People also would be more likely to turn over their badge choices as new ones become available. And if there were more things to do with fewer GG, we might reduce the number of reviews that really probably were not worth reading but were posted in the quest for GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
I do not oppose the 'slot idea'. I merely wanted to point out a possible (small) problem that needs to be worked out first.

Ok, I agree with you here. There might be a problem with both fixed badges and slots. But it shouldn't be too hard to just award the GW and so on as an extra slot. I doubt any would trade them in for something else anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I do badges that I want to see for fun, but I definitely like getting them for free, and I think designers should receive their own badges automatically unless they specifically opt out of them.

I imagine opting out would make sense if one were doing badges by request (i.e.: Lajos), but I think most people are putting up badges for games that they like.

I have received my earlier AoS city badges free of charge, so I think there is some effort to give people the ones they make for free, but the unorganized nature of the badge submissions at present probably means that some people accidentally are forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
Why are there multiple badges for the same thing ? Isn't the concept meant to be instantly recognisable - you glance under the avatar and immediately know five things about the person. Doesn't several dissimilar badges for the same game dilute this?
To my mind the microbadge for a game should be something that uniquely defines it. Look at the one for Reef Encounter, it's perfect. Now look at 6 Nimmt, what about Hornochsen? If you use the same badge you don't distinguish between the two; but the icon is one that best defines both. As for the games that have numerous badges, I wonder if it's simply because no one has found an icon that defines the essence of the game.

Different people have different ideas of what encapsulates a game for them. Or, for some games, there are multiple images associated with them. With the number of badges out there, I often have to position my mouse pointer over the icon to see the hover text anyway, so I don't consider "instantly recognizable" to be a benefit of microbadges.

Quote:
Regarding the Forum Poster badge, since we see the microbadges when someone posts, isn't it redundant?

No, because they also appear on GeekLists, user profiles, and microbadge pages. And probably somewhere else I'm not thinking of right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of being able to sell back microbadges for some reduced amount better than the "trading in" idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great to get my microbadge designs for free. Currently that only includes one badge:

- Buffy Fan (TV)

It might be nice to have a way to hide badges from one's profile for those who have buyer's remorse, for those who get contest badges they don't want and for designers who don't want to display all their designs. That way, free badges could be given to the designer by default, without worrying whether or not they wanted them. They could show up hidden by default so prolific designers wouldn't need to do a hide-a-thon every time new badges were approved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
(I wouldn't want to be listed on the Hawaiian shirt lovers page, since I prefer single colour shirts (preferably black).)

Oh c'mon! Hawaian shirts are great!

Actually, the microbadge is still not available!.... with all the effort that took me earning that GG...

Ok, I'll just buy the boxfart microbadge then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
It might be nice to have a way to hide badges from one's profile for those who have buyer's remorse, for those who get contest badges they don't want and for designers who don't want to display all their designs. That way, free badges could be given to the designer by default, without worrying whether or not they wanted them. They could show up hidden by default so prolific designers wouldn't need to do a hide-a-thon every time new badges were approved.

I don't think this would work because if you have a microbadge - whether hidden or openly - you will be listed on the badge holders page of that microbadge and therefore as a fan of that game, drink, show or whatever. (I wouldn't want to be listed on the Hawaiian shirt lovers page, since I prefer single colour shirts (preferably black).)

There's no reason that has to be so. Hiding the badge from your profile could also hide it from the badge holders pages. I'm sure they generate those pages dynamically with a database query--I would think they could query the "Visible/Hidden" indicator while they're at it with a minimum of overhead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
It might be nice to have a way to hide badges from one's profile for those who have buyer's remorse, for those who get contest badges they don't want and for designers who don't want to display all their designs.

I thought that when I started here (mid-summer) there was a way to only show "Active" microbadges on your profile page. It has since disappeared. I would like to see it come back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lajos wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

I don't think this would work because if you have a microbadge - whether hidden or openly - you will be listed on the badge holders page of that microbadge and therefore as a fan of that game, drink, show or whatever. (I wouldn't want to be listed on the Hawaiian shirt lovers page, since I prefer single colour shirts (preferably black).)

What you ould do is give designers their badges for free. Then implement the "sell back" option for everyone. So those with buyer's remorse and those who designed badges for other but don't want them, can get rid of them and then purchase the ones they do want.

It sounds like the common suggestion for buy back would be to sell a badge for 5 gg. So it would take a designer 3 badges to get what he really wants.

But we still need a way to make sure someone isn't dumping garbage just to build up their trade in value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lajos wrote:

In case this ever gets fixed and designers do get badges they designed for free, I'll list the ones I designed and would like to have here. (Most of the badges I designed I don't want at all because these were requests.)

Here are my wishlist requests (in order of preference)....

available microbadges:

1)
– NFL
2)
– Carcassonne
3)
– BattleLore
4)
– Carcassonne: Ark of the Covenant
5)
– Indianapolis Colts
6)
– Memoir '44 - Medal of Honor
7)
– War of the Ring - Rohan
8)
– Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers
9)
– Carcassonne: The Castle
10)
– Carcassonne: The City
11)
– Carcassonne: Discovery

submitted, but not yet available microbadges:

1)
– Purdue (college)
2)
- Days of Wonder
3)
- Caylus fan -Tile Back
4)
- Hans im Gluck
5)
- Fantasy Flight Games
6)
- The US Republican Elephant
7)
- Die Macher fan - Speaker of the House
8)
- Tanga Fans
9)
- Rio Grande Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about getting anything for the badges I've designed, but I would like to be able to junk some of the ones I don't use, or at least buy extra slots to display them. I have about 15 badges and nothing to do with most of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already paid for several of my own designs, but I wouldn't mind (a) getting listed as designer and (b) getting a GG refund if designers are getting their own.

I originally posted most of my designs in this geeklist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15971

The following are all my design...

(I don't want this one myself)

I paid for this

I paid for this

I don't mind whether I have all of the T&E ones or just one.

I paid for this (bad photographer)

I paid for this (box fart)

I paid for this (brutal reviewer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.