Subject: First Game (mostly Newbies) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
This is my first game and it was a lot of fun; I didn't take notes on events so my turn timing might be a bit off-also specifics on things that didn't effect me I naturally didn't get as much detail on.

We set aside Saturday for a 6 player game of Twilight Imperium. We ended up dealing 3 races to every player (the owner of the game took only 2 as there werent enough for him to choose 3) The Players/races were (going Clockwise):

Red - Embers of Muat (start with a warsun)
Yellow - Naalu Collective (The retreating race)
Blue?(can't actually remember color) - Ghosts of Creuss (Wormhole people)
Green - Emirates of Hacaan (the Traders)
Orange - The Arbok (plant people that build with ground forces/me)
Purple - Univerity of Jol'nar (research people)

My Secret Objective: Control MRex (w/ stardock) and have 2 advances in 3 different technologies.

Pregame I discuss alliances with my neighbors; Purple really wanted peace with me, I agreed but then he said he basically wanted all the good systems between us. I conceded(except for the system immediately next to my home system) and agreed to let him expand as he wanted. Green and I didn't have as many good systems between us, so we just agreed to not attack each other for now and take the systems adjacent to our home system. This wasn't as binding a deal but I know green to be non-aggressive. I didn't notice any sort of peace agreements with other players.

----
Turn 1 - I get diplomacy which I use to expand left w/o ships and send my fleet right to capture 2 planets, and eventually move towards the middle (there is an asteroid field blocking my path to the middle, I have the tech to go through it but can't stop there). Everyone else does some expected expansion. I set up trade agreements with Green+Yellow ending up with some good numbers and further motivating green+I from not attacking each other. Blue and Green also set up a trade agreement, which is interesting because they are expanding towards each other and haven't had 'peace' talks.

I tech up green, taking advantage of the discount -but leaving me with fewer resources for more fleet strength. I use assembly+production for a cruiser in my home planet, which with my green tech lets me colonize with just a cruiser and a Ground force. I forget if this is turn one or turn two - but I expand with the cruiser choosing a less good system out of 2 options because I agreed to let purple expand to the better one.

We Pass a law that gives everyone with the lowest fleet strength an extra command counter each turn.

------

Turn 2 - I take assembly, still not getting the opportunity for tech.

Purple produces a bunch of ships awfully close to me with production secondary. I tech up green again, even though I already have 2 because I have a triple discount on green and its the only one I can afford without sacrificing all my production. Green uses an action card to get a free ship in a wormhole system (which he will clearly be moving with the rest of his fleet to another system next turn). Blue immediately moves in destroy it, breaking his trade agreement with green to the frustration of green since it was only one ship and he was going to move it next turn. I move my forces to secure a system next to MRex, planning to build my fleet there with ground forces as my stardocks. Purple takes the bulk of his fleet to destroy my small forces in the system next to my home system claiming 'he had no other choice'. Obviously I would have had more forces there if there weren't a peace agreement, my ground troops take out his at least. He says that he wants to honor the peace agreement but if I don't build up a military he'll have to take me over. He claims he wants peace, and I ask him if he is going after my home system. He says 'no' and then qualifies this by saying I can't take over your home system ,I have no ground forces -- which I interpret as no I do not whatsoever want peace, build up your military. His word is dead to me, but I go through the charade of accepting peace.

Trade happens and I get 4 resources, not a bad haul. Blue+Green open up trade again, green is reluctant but asks blue to ensure the wormhole incident was a one time thing and green is staying out of wormhole sectors.

I have an action card that lets me build a tech for 4 resources, I mistakenly think that this means I can build my racial tech for 4 resources, so I don't prioritize technology in the strategy card selection, and didn't mind picking later. I want purple to be weakened, I give the speaker token to red and propose a law to elect somebody to get +1 to ground forces rolls. I know I'm going to have a lot of ground forces so I want to get this. By bribing people (red with the speaker token, and 1 trade good to my 'good' neighbor' and blue) I get elected. Its kind of a steep price, but I didn't really have anything I really needed strategy card wise(I thought) and I was glad purple would pick last.

-----------
Turn 3 - I ended up picking bureaucracy. It had 2 bonus tokens, and I needed some guidance on how to get victory points.

Objectives were take over a planet with at least one ground troop. Have one technology advance in all 4 colors, Spend 6 trade goods. Purple has an easy to take planet (only a pds)- I mistakenly believe that would qualify for the objective so I play an action card to give my cruiser sustain damage in preparation for a cruiser+Gf to take it over (I'm afraid of the PDS taking out my cruiser). Blue takes his fleet (including those stationed next to MRex on a system with an artifact leaving them defenseless) to attack green, once again voiding their trade agreement. He manages to remove green from that system. Green produces more ships in response. After being corrected that a PDS doesn't count as a ground force, I decide to take out a system from yellow instead, fortunately he flees, as he has just taken over that system for the same objective and didn't have a large force there. It breaks our trade agreement through. Purple puts a large force in a sytem near MRex - Yellow, Purple, Orange(me) and red are now all near MRex (Blue was but moved out to attack green).

I tech up green, mainly because I have triple discounts for it, even though I have all the green I need for objectives - its all I can afford. I also play the action card to get my racial tech to up the build limit on my ground forces. I'm given the unfortunate news that it will cost more than I understood it to. I do have the resources for it still.

I build up some defenses in my home system because I have zero trust in my "peace" agreement with purple and because I can move to my 'front' near MRex from there pretty easily, also slowly buidling up what I can in my battlestation near Mrex. I think red has a second warsun by this point, and is becoming quite a threat military wise. Everyone claims public objectives. Blue/purple have a lead because of artifacts.

---
Turn 4 - I took diplomacy. It had bonus tokens on it was the main reason, but I also didn't like the now multiple war suns in shooting distance of my main force (yellow+red).

Blue continues his way towards green - going 'all in' with better forces. he takes out ships in the system adjacent to Green's home System. I believe green retreats and builds up his home fleet (at some point he increases his fleet size to 4). Blue already had his flagship, but now green builds his. Purple takes MRex from red(?not sure if this is the turns it happens) This makes me happy, as they both lose forces.

Yellow Claims an objective with bureaucracy and reveals 'have all 3 space docks' as a new objective.

I tech yellow, with my discount tech and my yellow discount planets its really cheap-I hadn't planned on going yellow but I do need 3 colors for my secret objective.

Everyone builds space docks, even me, I plan on scuttling them later as I don't really need them - but victory points are victory points, and it helps me carry more fighters in my forward front in the meantime.

Purple attacks my undefended system on the border of green. Turns out when he said peace, he meant P.e.A.C.e which is some sort of acronym that means attack me if he'll win.

Everyone claims objectives (space docks mostly)

--
Turn 5 - I take assembly.

Blue invades green's home-world and gets destroyed. This is the start of blue basically being out of the game, as he was fully committed to that attack. Green Does not feel bad about this.

I tech into red, unfortunately we later pass a law that makes red more expensive (I tried to bribe people to go the other way, but we were just short)

We open trade (after not doing it last round) and I trade with red (who previously didn't have any trade agreements) - I again end up with solid trade - A 3 and a 2 - combined with the +1 bonus to trade from tech Im in a good position there as I don't expect to do warfare with red or green. Red Trades with Green I believe, as green has an open trade agreement after losing it (twice) to blue. Blue gets trade agreements which will soon be his only source of income.

Yellow Has a warsun and invades MR. purple strengthens his borders with red. Yellow plays an action card to destroy one of purple's spacedocks. Yellow invades blue's basically undefended homeworld. We later find out that had the spacedock destroy action card not been cancelled yellow would have got his secret objective for destroying spacedocks.

I beef up what I can in my forward front, though I am somewhat limited by fleet supply, I scuttle one of my space docks, I really don't need them other than holding fighters and so I get a flagship instead. I use leftover resources to get some forces in my home planet - thinking about taking about the planet purple invaded next to green next turn.

Everyone claims objectives. (except maybe blue?)

---
Turn 6.

I take technology. Green takes assembly (Yes! Ill get to pick second)

I have an action card that lets me steal trade goods, and purple is sitting on 6 of them right now - with more coming in from trade. I plan to steal his until yellow uses his first action to invade the system next to my forward fleet, and then says to red (yellow and red have the biggest fleets) Lets team up and take out the rest of them. My new plan is to steal yellow's trade goods so I can weaken him a little (he has 2 warsuns so is kind of scary). Fortunately blue took trade, and its basically the only thing he can do besides activating a system through a wormhole and PDS firing there. His only valid target has a trade agreement with him though, so he doesn't want to lose those trade goods and he actives trade. I make out pretty well, getting 6 goods. I earlier agreed to give yellow a good if he approved my trade agreement with red. I happily honored the deal even though he just attacked me, because it brought him to an even number of trade goods and I'd be getting it back. On my turn I stole half his trade goods and discarded half -- I was now sitting on a huge stack of trade goods, but I had sabotage if somebody tried to same trick.

Red Attacks Purple (sweet) Purple moves on with his second fleet toward red's home planet(also sweet). We pass a law to make everyone with the lowest victory point total get a point (Yellow who is 1st (from bureaucracy+artifact) doesn't get it, purple who is 2nd (from artifact) doesn't get it. Everyone else does.

I spend my mass of resources beefing up my fleet as much as I can with my 3 fleet supply, enough 2 technologies enough to qualify for my personal objective and get in better fighting shape -still short of war sun, though -I would have had enough to use an action card to get it without a prereq had that red law not been passed.

Everyone gets a public objective
----

Turn 7.

Green picks technology, and with an action card, stops anyone from taking assembly, which means I'll be picking second next round too.

I take diplomacy, I plan to move out with my fleet and build it up again in my forward front so I can increase my fleet supply and move into MR to claim my personal objective, in between those 2 the system would be vulnerable though so I took diplomacy to stop attacks in the turn before I produce there. I consider playing a card to guarantee I get diplomacy again, but I may want bonus counters, and I can probably pick it anyway as I suspect green will take technology again next round.

Purple Invades red's home system. Green asks me to team up against yellow and I say of course. Green sends a terrifying fleet torwards one of yellows bigger forces and plays some action cards -- yellow just flees, which green forgot about because he hasn't done a lot of fleeing.

With the systems that been activated, I'm in a good position to take MR this round and a decent chance for holding it for one turn next round
(I'd take SC#1, so really just holding it against yellow -- red could quickly boot me if he chose to do so, but that would be fine) if I can take it this round which would mean I could claim my Secret objective. Yellow admits he'd probably flee as his forces on MRex are not that big. I could easily destroy his ground forces as I have a lot of them and +2 from tech and being elected.

Purple play bureaucracy and reveals........ the Game ending card.
Purple was not winning-Yellow had the most points (although he was the only one that had all the objective cards and therefore no way to get more points this round). Purple did not have time to keep playing so revealed it for out of game reasons.

Sort of an anti-climatic ending but I really enjoyed the game. Most of us didn't know the rules, and I know I personally made a lot of mistakes from it being my first game (strategy mistakes, and just rules mistakes). I think the arboc race was pretty awesome though, It'll be hard to not be able to just produce wherever I want and have to worry about build limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rowles
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
How long did this first game take?

I hear people talk about how long the game is and my first was about 2 hours. I feel like I must have done something majorly wrong. Yours seems to have only been 7 turns. I enjoyed the game I played of it immensely, but am still troubled by the difference in length as compared to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
Around 9 hours I think - including a lunch break and rules explanation.

I'm really having trouble figuring out how it took that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radoslaw Lewandowski
Poland
GdaƄsk
flag msg tools
But I love playing with her :)
badge
Hex & snacks & dice and roll!
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe me, it's not that long. I have recently played TI3 with 6 players in total (from which 2 were totally new) and it took us 11 hours. The final score was: me - 9 points, my girfliend - 10 points (she won), our friends 5, 4 and one point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drowles wrote:
How long did this first game take?

I hear people talk about how long the game is and my first was about 2 hours. I feel like I must have done something majorly wrong. Yours seems to have only been 7 turns. I enjoyed the game I played of it immensely, but am still troubled by the difference in length as compared to others.

That is not necessarily wrong. Pretty much all of our games for the last few years have been in the 2:30H to 4H range. They usually last about 5 turns. It comes down to what options you play with.

Considering that they were revealing objectives, that adds a considerable amount of time and extra rounds. Additionally, they had rules explanation + lunch break. Seems like a pretty good pace for a 1st game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
I was pretty disappointed that it ended due to time, though. Obviously picking a card that makes someone else win wouldn't normally happen - but I still enjoyed the game a lot and knowing how the rules work now I'll play much better strategy wise next game (of course so will my opponents so it should be good)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.