Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Evans
United States
Waterford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
I came across a situation during a solo game of Salamanaca which I found unacceptable. An Allied unit broke south of Los Arapiles around turn 11. It was then rallied during the night and placed on the LOC at hex 301 since the French were placing extreme pressure on the town by three units who had diverted from the expected push south. The rallied unit made the difference at Salmanaca and thus the game. It seems that it would be better to have a unit rally within 4 hexes of the hex it broke, rather than a full battlefield away, across a major river and next to an enemy assault. There seems to be too much leeway in where rallied units are placed and I was wondering what the rationale was for the design decision. Still, I enjoy the game and wish more gamers would discover it. Sorry if this is a double post, but I didn't see my original post appear on the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
derz wrote:
... I was wondering what the rationale was for the design decision.

The intent is two-fold.

First (arguably most importantly), one of our guiding principles with the Napoleonic 20 series games has always been that players should be able to walk away from the map and return hours or even days later and resume play without having to "remember" anything (like which hex a unit was in when it was broken -- and that includes writing down that sort of info). Since these games are designed around as small a footprint as possible, we didn't have room on the countersheet for "unit X broken here" markers (nor did we particularly want to clutter the playing field up with such markers).

Second, because rallying doesn't occur immediately after a unit has been broken, and may in fact occur multiple game days after the unit is broken, forcing it to rally somewhere which may well no longer be in a "safe" location (based on the current on-map situation) wouldn't make sense.

That said, your idea does have some merit, and if you feel it's an important enough issue, you can always create a "house rule" to tailor the system to your tastes -- and we encourage you to post that proposal here for others who may be of the same mind as you.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Evans
United States
Waterford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick reply and input. I can understand the constraints on printing markers for broken units. Maybe using those fatigue markers no one likes as broken unit markers is a solution. I'm a little taken aback by the explanation that players might stretch the game out over many days. It's not a Zucker product, and one of the selling points is the ability to play a game quickly. But my main concern - and one I will address by an in house rule - is the ahistorical and implausible situation where a routed unit travels 14 hexes in one turn which would take a healthy unit 3 turns to cover at a forced march. I'll go ahead and post in the variants forum to see if there are any like-minded sympathizers. I've pre-ordered Rising Glory, so it's not like I'm down on the system. It's a beauty in general, and very tense - one MP here or a roll of 4 instead of 5 there can be turning points. So many decisions with so few units!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott

A friendly LOC is not the only location a unit can rally at during night but also a -Additional Rally Location as per rule 16.4 which could be a friendly Objective hex or a friendly held town behind your lines. So there are more choices than just a LOC

Kim Meints
Napoleonic 20 Designer/Playtester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Evans
United States
Waterford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Understood. The optional rallying rules are welcome. My point is who would choose to rally a unit at a sub-optimal location. Again, it is a question of believability - a unit rallying at a point farther away than an undamaged unit can travel during the same time span. And in this case at least, at a location which tips the balance of the game. I had a chance to win as the French with the leader optional rule. *sigh*

Btw, just read the news regarding the P500 cancellation. Looks like I'll be ordering from VPG, which is ok by me since I've never had a bad experience with them, unlike (cough) Won by the Sword, (cough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.