Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't know how to pronounce it either. This is the simplest variant, though not the smallest. It was recorded in Wales by Robert ap Ifan, in 1587, and is also mentioned in the earlier Laws of Hywel Dda.

1. The game can be played on an 11x11 board with 37 men - the king and his 12 defenders, against 24 attackers. The defenders are placed in a diagram around the king. The attackers are in four groups of six by each edge of the board. Here's the complete layout:

....AAA....
....A.A....
.....A.....
.....D.....
AA..DDD..AA
A.ADDKDDA.A
AA..DDD..AA
.....D.....
.....A.....
....A.A....
....AAA....

2. The king wins the game by reaching the edge of the board. The attackers win by capturing the king.

3. The attackers move first. Pieces move as far as they wish in a straight, horizontal or vertical line. A moving piece may not land on, nor jump over the head of, another piece.

4. A piece is captured by surrounding it between two enemies. The king may make captures, and may be captured like other pieces.

The starting layout is that proposed by R. C. Bell in his 1969 volume II of Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations. Other possible starting layouts are that from The Viking Game, or the smaller 9x9 layout of Tablut. You can play this variant with the applet at http://tafl.cyningstan.org.uk/ using the following settings:

Defender: [according to taste]
Attacker: [according to taste]
Min time: 10 [recommended]
Min depth: 1 [recommended]
Objective: Edge
Corner size: [irrelevant]
Castle: Normal
King capture: Custodian
Movement: Unlimited
Speed: [irrelevant]
Applies to: [irrelevant]
King strength: Armed
Layout: Trondheim I
First move: Attacker

Edits are in red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No, I don't know how to pronounce it either.

I'm gonna take a stab at "Tall Board"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
I'm gonna take a stab at "Tall Board"

According to the original rules, when you put a piece down between two enemies, you're supposed to say "gwrheill". I wouldn't even like to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Baglin
Wales
Flintshire
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pronunciation guide:

Tawlbwrdd: First syllable like English "towel" but omit "e" sound.Second syllable "w" makes short "oo" sound as in English "book" and "dd" makes a non aspirated "th" sound as in English "this". So to sum up.

Tawlbwrdd - Tow-lboorth

Although to throw the cat amongst the linguistic pigeons I personally believe the word has been mistranslated along the way as the translation is usually given as throw - board which in Welsh would be Taflbwrdd (Tavlboorth). Just sayin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
I think the translation "throwing" would be impossible to explain.

More probably, given the link with the tafl family, the name is simply a pleonastic compound of Old Norse tafl (of similar pronunciation) and Welsh bwrdd, both meaning "table".
And of course it came back to Scandinavia under the name Tablut, which is the same word, adapatated to Sami pronunciation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.