Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Hams
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Do any of y'all know of any alternatives to itunes for managing the mp3s on my ipod? I'd ideally like something simple that doesn't require me to make a "library" of songs; I'd like to just add files to my ipod without any pomp and circumstance. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how a company as user-minded as Apple ever developed that hideous piece of unfriendly bloatware that is iTunes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Hams
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Amen, bra! Itunes is the single but glaring downside to the ipod. Hence the search for an alternative ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Legomancer wrote:
I don't know how a company as user-minded as Apple ever developed that hideous piece of unfriendly bloatware that is iTunes.

I find iTunes neither hideous, unfriendly, or bloated, and use it in enviroments where I don't sync my iPod since I find it a delightful and friendly media player ... yada, yada, obvious debate follows -> Conclusion: don't sling about your opinions like fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
I have never loved iTunes, but it works. Well, it worked. The latest version and my iPod have not gotten along at all. It has been a horrid experience. I can't eject my iPod any longer, it will no longer remember my iPod. Just bad luck. I hope the next version is coming soon, because right now, iTunes is just not working for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew, this is precisely my problem with it. I don't have an iPod or plan to get one, but I do listen to a lot of mp3s, so I gave iTunes a try, especially when the terrible winamp3 was released. My exact problem with it was that: iTunes demanded you use it the way its design team thought you should use it. There were no options for how the music library would be organized. There was no way to play a single mp3 without adding it to the music library. If you decided to fly without the music library then it couldn't delete an mp3 from the hard drive and it STILL couldn't just play a single mp3 without a lot of rigamarole. Instead of letting people decide for themselves how to organize their music, iTunes insists you organize it one single way and punishes you for deviation. That's not Apple design, in my book.

I have a longer rant here:
http://slithytoves.sytes.net/~dave/wordpress/?p=918

Thankfully, winamp5 solved the problems of winamp3 and now works totally fine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
For windows, Red Chair software might have what you are looking for. They have explorer integration for most mp3 players in the universe, including the ipod. I've not used the ipod version, but the one for my player blows the manufacturer's program out of the water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Hams
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I quite agree with Dave here. That has always been my biggest beef with Macs and my biggest argument for Windows; however user-customizable older macs may or may not have been (before my time), the modern Apple products just don't give the user enough freedom; whereas if you really do know what you're doing, the Windows experience can be tailor-fit to your preferences. I admit, Macs probably are the way to go for those who _don't_ know how to (or have no interest in) "modding" their OS, but I am not one of those.

And, back on topic, that user-customizability-ness-ism of Apple is reflected in the iPod and iTunes - I mean, just look at the preferences menu in iTunes! Wordpad has more options that that, if you'll excuse my hyperbole. I've never experienced the "Do it our way -- we know best" thinking with windows - quite the contray, in fact. The issue at hand is that I don't want to manage my iPod Apple's way, although it clearly seems to think I should.

hibikir wrote:
For windows, Red Chair software might have what you are looking for. They have explorer integration for most mp3 players in the universe, including the ipod. I've not used the ipod version, but the one for my player blows the manufacturer's program out of the water.

And awesome, thank you very much! I'll definitely look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're using Windows, try Jukebox Syncronizer:
http://www.cflashsoft.com/jbsynch.htm
free and simple.
Point to your ipod, point to the location of your music on the hard drive, and the software keeps everything synced. If you tell it to skip a certain file or directory, it remembers and won't try to do it next time.

I've been using it for my Archos Jukebox for about three years.

from the author:
"Jukebox Synchronizer is a program that allows you to manage your library of mp3's in two different locations. Changes made in one location are automatically implemented in the other when you synchronize. Jukebox Synchronizer also features automatic playlist creation of 'new' files transferred and folder based playlists. It was written primarily for the Archos Jukebox 6000, but will work with other hard drive based portable mp3 players that feature drive letter support. "

Ipods need an additional plug-in. Details on the website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Tailuje wrote:
That has always been my biggest beef with Macs and my biggest argument for Windows; however user-customizable older macs may or may not have been (before my time), the modern Apple products just don't give the user enough freedom; whereas if you really do know what you're doing, the Windows experience can be tailor-fit to your preferences. I admit, Macs probably are the way to go for those who _don't_ know how to (or have no interest in) "modding" their OS, but I am not one of those.

I have no knowledge of the older Mac systems, i did not switch until OS X was released. But I am curious at why you find windows more customizable? If you truly want uber customization, switch to Linux on the desktop. Perhaps this is just your perception, but as a user of Mac OS X, various version of Windows, and many distributions of Linux, I find the opposite is true. OS X actually falls in between windows and linux on this aspect in my opinion.

But I think we are getting confused here between the OS and an application. I don't think you can call one OS less customizable than another based on an application created by the same company that creates the OS.

Do you use OS X?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
ooops, I forgot to include the link that was the real reason for my post in the first place. forgive me for hijacking your thread to talk about OS X and not even answering your question.

i see someone already mentioned the Red Chair product (anapod explorer i think), but there are some others listed here as well:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod-software-windows

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
My exact problem with it was that: iTunes demanded you use it the way its design team thought you should use it. There were no options for how the music library would be organized.

Maybe the mac version and win version are different, but at least up until version 6 on the mac (I haven't used 7 yet) you have complete control over your library. In the preferences you tell it whether or not to add music into the music folder when adding it to iTunes. I used to manage my own collection so I never added it until one day I realised (ver 3 I think) that iTunes was doing it the exact same way I did (artist -> album -> song (track # - name - extension)). Only then did I start having iTunes add the music to the iTunes music folder and ditched my self mantained collection.

For single files, maybe us OS X users are lucky since we can listen to the song via the Finder without needing to launch iTunes. But I can understand the desire to just have a dumb player. But there's plenty of those on the mac. If I were still on a windows user, I'd probably still be using WinAMP though unless I owned an iPod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tailuje wrote:
I quite agree with Dave here. That has always been my biggest beef with Macs and my biggest argument for Windows; however user-customizable older macs may or may not have been (before my time), the modern Apple products just don't give the user enough freedom

I'd be curious as to what you mean by user-customizable. I've used Windows since the Win286 (pre 3.1) days, MacOS since 6.x, and OS X since 1.0. I've never found one to be more customizable than the other, but I have found OS X to be the easiest to customize, either though the GUI or at the command line level. However there could be some things you do with Windows that I'm ignorant of.

The iPod is an interesting beast. Over time Apple has become more restrictive with how you manage music with it, which I'm sure is at the behest of the music studios. At first the music library was just a hidden folder. Now it's a hidden folder and all the names are scrambled requiring a utility to extract them properly. Photo management works great -- as long as you use iPhoto, otherwise that can be a pain too.

It's not great, but the bottom line is I'd hazard that 90% of my customers that buy iPods never even go into the preferences, or even know there are such a thing. Out of curiosity, what sort of prefs would you like to see for the iPod? We have quarterly meetings with Apple where we toss in customer feedback we've heard and I'll toss yours their way. Won't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are nuts. Itunes is like, the best music program evar. I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.