United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions on Age of Steam: Expansion #3

1) Could someone please clarify what the "Ferry Action" allows you to do? Does it allow you to move a good all the way from Kristiansand to Stockholm? Do you need to take the "Ferry Action" to use a "Sea Route" and move a good from Kobenhavn to Halsingborg?

2) What's up with the extra thick lines above Norrkoping and to the left of Soderhamm? And is there also one directly to the left of Odense? They're not mentioned in the rules, so I'm assuming you can build a track tile adjacent to those lines, but maybe not build track through those lines, is that correct? While I'm at it, I assume the same applies to all the thick lines on the Korea map too, making it so there's only one entrance to Taean, Inchon, and Kosong, and impossible to get into that hex in the bottom left next to Wando?

3) The terrian of Lillehammer is or is not relevant? The terrain around Lillehammer costs $4 to build on as a base cost, whether it looks like hills or mountains, or do the costs vary, and if so, how much are they?

4) The hexagons directly below Kobenhavn and the hexgon directly above Rostock and the hexagon directly below Visby are all purely decorative, correct?

5) Do Suwon and Pyongyang both get cubes to start but never get cubes during the game?

Thanks, I think that's it for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The sea routes function just like a normal rail link would, they do not use up the ferry action.

Kristiansand to Stockholm is a legal move for the ferry. The ferry simply allows you to, once, choose a single good that is in a coastal city (currently, or "passing through" via normal movement) and then put it in any other coastal city where it can either end up being delivered, or can continue on its merry way. The ferry movement itself does not count against your engine allotment for the round, nor does it generate income, it simply relocates a good.

2) The thick black lines cannot have track built over them. This rule was introduced in Ireland, and the Frogs forgot to mention what they did in the #3 rules sheet.

3) Does not matter. Town hexes always have costs as though the terrain present does not exist.

4) Yep.

5) Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, and thanks meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

wow, tommy8, my 'rules questions' note I made while playing this expansion is a mirror of this post :-)

CortexBomb wrote:

2) The thick black lines cannot have track built over them. This rule was introduced in Ireland, and the Frogs forgot to mention what they did in the #3 rules sheet.

just to make sure - in korea there's a space that is purely decorative as it has the thick lines on each of its no-water-edges, and most of the lines in the south seem pretty strangely placed. all in all this made us think the thick lines had to mean something else than 'no build through' (which made sense in scandinavia). we played RRT style "thick line == additional $2" instead...

I am raising this issue again in the hope there'll be someone 'official' this time around to clarify :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black lines causing hexes to be purely thematic / decorative is not uncommon at this point. If you think that line is odd check out the Switzerland map where a cluster of 3 hexes has lines around them such that you can build in, but can't get back out again...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funny reading stuff like that and at the same time reading that the maps are being playtested for years even... you really need to playtest a map so much if it doesn't bother you some parts on the map make no sense? what else are they all playtesting? heh :-(

sorry for the mini-rant, thanks for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, again, it's just a thematic touch. Most of the extra hexes are there so that the map maintains the shape of the area that it's depicting with reasonable accuracy. Sure, the designers could just make those black hexes on the map, but I personally prefer the black line approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bazik123 wrote:
funny reading stuff like that and at the same time reading that the maps are being playtested for years even...

Maps often have balance problems; the actions don't quite work right in all cases, certain cube distributions allow for runaways, parts of the map are excessively valuable or deprecated, etc. To give an example look at AoS:Central America:

A problem with that map as shown there is that with certain cube distributions and likely play patterns, Baja California is immensely powerful for the player who gets Engineer in turn 3, and there is no real way for the other players to effect that. The address was to change the cost of the sea route at the southern end of Baja as well as to add additional sea routes there. There's another similar problem with the routes out of Panama in that version of the map. These problems were revealed and solved through playtesting.

Quote:
...you really need to playtest a map so much if it doesn't bother you some parts on the map make no sense?

For most of us the important thing is that the game works as a game. Is it challenging, interesting, demanding in all cases always?

Quote:
what else are they all playtesting? heh :-(

That the game works as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
don't get me wrong, I am all for playtesting games. especially being polish - i refuse to believe polish publishers (I mean most of them) playtest for any other reason than to say it's been done. I've seen a game having major modifications done 2 weeks before publication, but it still pretended being playtested.

i guess i am just overreacting at guessing badly what the thick lines do, when it's not explained in the rules, and the board _screams_ at you they must mean something other than they in fact do.

now excuse me, i am away to play another overTested-badlyDrawn-poorlyExplained map that somehow managed to get me completely unhooked from anything other that AoS for a week now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bazik123 wrote:
i guess i am just overreacting at guessing badly what the thick lines do, when it's not explained in the rules, and the board _screams_ at you they must mean something other than they in fact do.

As happens the same pattern and meaning of thicker black lines is not only used in AoS:Ireland, but also in several of the 18XX games (from which I suspect it was borrowed).

Quote:
now excuse me, i am away to play another overTested-badlyDrawn-poorlyExplained map that somehow managed to get me completely unhooked from anything other that AoS for a week now.

AoS is certainly a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
As happens the same pattern and meaning of thicker black lines is not only used in AoS:Ireland, but also in several of the 18XX games (from which I suspect it was borrowed).

unluckily i have more of a rrt background blush ok, ok, call me a wannabe traingamer cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Kristiansand to Stockholm is a legal move for the ferry. The ferry simply allows you to, once, choose a single good that is in a coastal city (currently, or "passing through" via normal movement) and then put it in any other coastal city where it can either end up being delivered, or can continue on its merry way. The ferry movement itself does not count against your engine allotment for the round, nor does it generate income, it simply relocates a good.

the rules state that you can only take ONE cube in this manner. however i don't think the rule mentions that you must only take it once in this manner.

is taking one cube by sea twice in the same move allowed? just wondering because it's not as explicit in the rules as it is in this statement that i quoted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Åberg
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleus wrote:
Quote:

the rules state that you can only take ONE cube in this manner. however i don't think the rule mentions that you must only take it once in this manner.

is taking one cube by sea twice in the same move allowed? just wondering because it's not as explicit in the rules as it is in this statement that i quoted above.

I would also like to know this, today when we tried the map out for the first time we played that you could only move 1 cube per turn (this is written clearly in the rules) and only 1 time across the sea (witch is not too clear)...Hope someone can answer and clarify this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.