Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

I am interested to know how this game plays at both extremes. Particularly, with the following questions in mind, but any feedback is welcome.

2-player
- Any rules changes or dummy players?
- Are there many / any take-that or attack type cards?

6-player
- Is there much down-time?
- Can you play strategically with this many players? Or tactically once your turn arrives?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no rule changes nor dummy players for 2-player. I don't feel like there is much in the way of "take that" cards. Each card has a special ability some fall into the "take that" category. You might want to download and look at the cards in the files section on the game page. The special ability is stated on the contract side (no picture). Also there is the challenge a contract action which lets you take and power an opponent's contract, but the opponent has an opportunity to thwart that action. So far my few plays have been friendly with very little in the way of "take that" play.

I have yet to play a 6-player game.

Edit: I forgot that several cards are marked for inclusion in games with 3 or more players and 5 or more players. So many cards are not used in a 2-player game. I suggest you download and read the rules which are posted (by the publisher) in the files section of the game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My very first game of this was a 6 player one. No rules changes either, although the cards in the decks would be limited (see the dots on the PRISM and contracts to show you want to remove).

We did discover that we ran out of contracts well before anyone got to eight upgrades; that was a bit surprising. But we also didn't play with the GOVT contracts and we didn't really understand the exchange until halfway through the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Chang
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no rule changes for any player count. However, as others have pointed out, the number of PRISM and Contract cards will differ depending on the player count.

jgortner wrote:
2-player: Are there many / any take-that or attack type cards?

There are a two possibilities where the game offers direct interaction with other players:

1) The "Challenge a Contract" action allows a player to take ownership of another player's contract.

2) The Offshore sector contracts all have Exchange abilities that require a target player to make a choice.

We specifically designed the game with two missions in mind. First is defining game state "locks". Essentially, contracts in the game are considered malleable, while districts (contracts that gets powered) are locked. Second is that when the game does present an option for player interaction, it does so by offering the target player with choices. In the case of contract challenges, the defending player gets to respond first. In the case of the Offshore sector contracts, they are presented with a choice (unless, through tactical play, you've engineered the situation to limit that choice).

jgortner wrote:
6-player: Is there much down-time?

Admittedly I think there is a bit of down-time for 6 players, but perhaps only in relation to 2, 3 or 4 player games. Even at 6 players, the game typically go for about 60~70 minutes, so it's not a long game even at the maximum player count.

jgortner wrote:
6-player: Can you play strategically with this many players? Or tactically once your turn arrives?

Out of turn actions are limited to contract challenges. Which means besides having to watch out for potential challenges on your contracts, the state of your tableau does not change very much. The decision options you have comes from the following:

1) The contracts you have on your grid, which as explained could change outside of your turn
2) The contracts you are able to acquire on your turn
3) The Districts available on the Exchange

For 2) and 3), these also change from turn to turn.

For 6 player games, the state of the central board does become more volatile and this could limit forward planning until closer to your turn.

That said, the dynamic of the game would differ depending on what kind of modular expansions you include.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
After receiving my copy (via Kickstarter) I have played it (2-player) with a friend (GeekBuddy) at lunch a few times. The last two games have been intense and very close one or two point margin of victory. I find it (just the base game so far) very enjoyable and requiring significant thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
After receiving my copy (via Kickstarter) I have played it (2-player) with a friend (GeekBuddy) at lunch a few times. The last two games have been intense and very close one or two point margin of victory. I find it (just the base game so far) very enjoyable and requiring significant thought.

Um, thanks! But I am not sure you helped answer any questions good buddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played it with my gf (2 player) and we always have fun. She isn't a gamer at all but has requested to play it a few times already!

To me, it seems like a great 2p game. Lots to think about even without adding 3 or more players.

I haven't read the rest of the thread responses so this may be an echo:

there are some interesting take that experiences even in 2p: you can chain up some good combos since some of the exchange abilities give you additional AP. Some "take thats" are: you can play a card that forces your opponents hand and makes them sacrifice or let you gain, there are some cards that let you steal, etc.. I especially like the cards that give your opponent a choice since it makes them squirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played four player for the first time three days ago. Up until then I had only played it two player. I found with four player that there was a little more down time and obviously the game length was longer. But it wasn't so long as to become boring. It made the Exchange a little more interesting as it would make you think about who would benefit more. I added all the modules, and I found that people were using their active ability very quickly, whereas in two player these are all but forgotten about. The challenge contract was never used and I still have never used the ability, as I personally think it's dumb. There needs to be another king of action you can take between turns - perhaps you could lock a contract that comes out. But you must be able to complete it and have the prism for it immediately. This could obviously make things a little more interesting in a four or more player game. There aren't any rule changes in the game and it scales well - though with the expanding cities, you do need to have some space. I've enjoyed what I've played - my only problem is probably that with all the pieces being cards, it has so much going on and could probably benefit from some other pieces. Perhaps the contracts could have a different size, the player cards could be punch cards with wooden cubes, and the pylon could be added straight to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.