Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In phase 2, if I have 2 trains and in the Operating Round I want to buy another train (type 3), what I need to do with one of my 2 trains if nobody wants to buy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You (or more precisely, that corporation) can't buy the 3-Train as it would be over limit (2 trains per 5-share corporation in Phases 2 and 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what can i do to get a 3 train?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Until a corporation buys your 2-Train, there is nothing you can do.

But that other corporation need not be with another player. If you own another corporation that has no or one train, sell the 2-Train to that corporation so the first can now purchase the 3-train. The price between corporations can be any mutually agreed price (even $1).

But you have to realize the timing - one doesn't "sell" trains when the corporation is operating. A corporation can only buy trains during its operation round. So you need to sell your train during another's operation round. And then buy the 3-Train during your operating round.

I am curious why you couldn't sell the 2-Train. There are 6 corporations in the game and only 5 2-Trains. If one of your corporations has 2 of the 2-Trains, that leaves only 3 2-Trains for the other 5 corporations. One of those corporations would want the train - you might just need to lower the price to the point where it makes more sense to buy the 2-Train instead of the 3-Train.

But why hold two 2-trains? As soon as the first 4-train is sold, all the 2-Trains rust and are scrapped. There are only 9 trains (combined 2's and 3's) that need be sold before the 2's are scrapped. If that corporation is holding only the two 2-Trains, it suddenly has no trains. And if it operated, it must now forced to buy trains (mandatory train purchases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first game with 3 players in one moment only 4 corporations were operating. Some of them with 3 trains. So if the corporation controlled by me had only 2 trains, and nobody wants one of my 2 trains...hmm. is a bad thing for a while. OK, I could buy shares in a new corporation...but if I don't have enough personal money for that?

But, thanks, I understand that is a situation in a game to be avoided

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation "shouldn't" persist for long. If you have a large number of the 2-trains, someone else should be trying to kill them by buying a 4T. In general, whoever owns the most trains at any given time is making the most money, so someone else should be doing something about it.

Also, since it only takes 3 shares to open a company, and you own at least one share of the current company that you can sell, it's almost always possible to raise the money to open a new company if need be in games with 5-share companies.

Then again, if you're sitting there with 2x2T making a stack of cash, you're happy. If you're sitting there with 2x2T not making a stack of cash, then you screwed up.

I'd expect in 18FL that all the companies should get started in fairly short order. If you get in a situation where noone can buy a train b/c of the limit, that probably indicates an error of strategy on the part of several people.

Now back to your other thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm, in our first game, when a player with some money noticed the corporation sitting there with 2 type 2 trains, as well as the other corporations with at least 1, they wen't after the type 4 with a vengence to rust all our poor trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marioaguila wrote:
So, what can i do to get a 3 train?

One option is to convert to a ten share company, giving you both money and room for extra trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.