TurfMaster» Forums » General

Subject: Should I get this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,
I'm thinking about getting this game but the fact that it does not look very complex and it play 2.5 hours makes me weary.

What you guys, who own or played the game, think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually it's not 2,5 hours, maybe if you play with 8 people.

Anyway it depends on our preferences. Many think this is one of the best racing games ever, but people who don't like racing games usually don't like it so much.
It's rather simple, yes, but it captures the feeling of being in a race, steering your horse, looking for the best position in the field, deciding when to attack and so on excellently. If that's what you're looking for, it's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like it a lot (no surprise, fans subscribe to their favorite games). Turfmaster is a positional racing game. If you enjoy the little positional moves needed to find or lose an advantage, then the game has great value. if you find these sorts of counting games tedious, you should look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Long shot, I play a lot with my girlfriend's family and they really like Catan. Can you compare the two in anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Long shot is very different, a family fun game with random events, betting, and so on. Much luck, chaotic more a fun game than a serious game.
Turfmaster, though also haveing a luck-factor and being simpler ruleswise, is more interest and deep in strategy, having much more of a realistic race feel, but also minimalistic (some may call it dry), as there is not much aroudn the race itself, no bets, no random events, no special action cards, just a pure race simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
actaion wrote:
Lomg shot is very different, a family fun game with random events, betting, and so on. Much luck, chaotic more a fun game than a serious game.
Turfmaster, though also haveing a luck-factor and being simpler ruleswise, is more interest and deep in strategy, having much more of a realistic race feel, but also minimalistic (some may call it dry), as there is not much aroudn the race itself, no bets, no random events, no special action cards, just a pure race simulation.

Funny there's a game about horse racing called Long shot. I was actually asking about a comparison with Settlers of Catan, saying my question/comparison is a long shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Pellegrino
Italy
Palermo
Sicilia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic game,
a perfect mix of strategy and dice.
Good for many players 4 or more, best in 8.

Fabio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing Turfmaster to Settlers of Catan doesn't really work. In Settlers you are trading resources and coping with the luck of the production roll.

While dice are used in Turfmaster - the randomness is muted because the die roll is a common roll applying to all horses. Also, each player has a good sized hand of cards to use on the non-dice turns. You can manage your card play based on the distribution.

Turfmaster does compare well to a game like Formula De. It has the same positional play. But I find it superior to FD due to the muted randomness of the die roll and the added card management.

Settlers is a more interactive game due to the direct trading. Turfmaster is interactive only in the positional cutting off a lane from some one's horse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Bennett
Canada
Regina
SASKATCHEWAN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it compares very well with Formula De so I think it would make a great league game.

I am going to be running a tournament using 2 sets of TurfMaster and 16 players in teams of 2.

The money raised will go to a local charity helping women and their families with addiction problems.

I think it is going to be a lot of fun - I am going to run it over 3 nights at a local brewhouse.

I play in a Formula De league and it is a lot of fun, this is the same kind of positional strategy so should work great in this environment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

How long is a 4-6 players game?
Can the game be shortened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several games with 8 players and all have finished in less than 2 hours. You have three races, and while you could shorten it to less, it would increase the luck. By going with three races, all players will have a chance to go through their entire deck of cards. With fewer races, that will not happen and, for the most part, whoever drew better cards will win. Three races means you may have drawn bad cards in an earlier race but will probably see better cards in later races and the overall luck evens out.

The game is a bit more complicated than Catan, but if you have a good grasp of the rules, the game can be taught to anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's more complicated than Catan.
Catan has a weight of 2.4 on BGG, Turfmaster 2.0 only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
I don't think it's more complicated than Catan.
Catan has a weight of 2.4 on BGG, Turfmaster 2.0 only.

Those weights are based on what gamers have said. I think once people play a few turns they will get it, but I've had plenty of newbies get confused with the handicapping, lane change, and bonus card rules. And the English translation of the German rules could of been a bit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Settlers is more complicated, but also more intuitive, particularly for people who have played Monopoly before. There are fewer things going on in Turfmaster, but there are a couple of fiddly rules that require a little more attention during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for Grand National if you like a great horse racing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Look for Grand National if you like a great horse racing game.

SPAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.