Matt Campbell
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally bought Carcassonne this week and some of the expansions with the idea my wife might be willing to play it. She finds it sort of like a puzzle building exercise without knowing what the final picture is supposed to be and whether all the pieces are in the bag.

I can sometimes get her to play a game with me for 30 minutes or an hour and then she is off to do something else. This time we played 6 games back to back until we both decided it was time for bed! Having only played once I wasn't able to give us much in the way of strategy so the first couple games we tried to build huge cities and didn't finish them. Plus, we had no meeples in the meadows meaning no farm scores. We quickly learned to remedy this and discovered what the 50/100 scoring tiles were used for.

The best game we had saw my wife drawing both of the Cathedral tiles and completing those cities. She lapped me on the scoreboard. As one of the key elements to someone enjoying a game is their ability to feel like they can win this helped her to want to play more even after losing the next two games.

All in all a fun way to spend a Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Lowd
United States
Cornish
Maine
flag msg tools
My wife loves this game too; as does my brother in law and his wife and none of them are gamers. This is a great game for introducing non gamers to board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's for sure! We actually started with Ticket to Ride Marklin, and quickly picked up Carcassonne. My wife and I hate games where we actively have to try to beat one another (it's more okay with a larger group), and Carcassonne can definitely be played in a non-cutthroat sort of way.

Definitely my gateway game of choice!
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Tapp
United States
Waterloo
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to add our names to the hat as well. My wife is not a gamer but she is always intrigued and open minded about the games I play (Love you for that honey!). With Carcassonne, as you guys have stated, you don't "feel" like you are playing a head to head game to wipe out your opponent rather than simply using the tiled features on the table to build something to impress yourself. She has quickly picked up a liking for this game and I imagine we will play it quite often. Heck, if things keep going this route, I'll be telling my gaming grandkids, "No, Grandma was not ALWAYS a gamehead like this. I remember back in the day when we played the very first board game she ever liked."

Thanks,
Shane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.