Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Machi Koro» Forums » General

Subject: Machi Koro - Please help me distinguish first edition vs. second edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Dorman
Israel
PETACH TIKVA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I'm a bit confused! Can you help me know how to distinguish between the first edition and the second edition??

Also In Bookdepository the picture of the game looks greenish color while everywhere else it's bluish color, why is that?

And last question, I see lots of people were missing cards inside, is there a place which lists all of the cards we SHOULD be getting? I see a list in the game description here on BGG but that's for "French first edition" - how is this different from English second edition?

THANKS!!
Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition isn't for sale anywhere anymore, so you'll definitely get the 2nd edition.

The greenish color is because someone posted a CMYK image on the internet without converting it to RGB first. We've been trying to fix Amazon's listing for the Harbor expansion for weeks where someone did the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dorman
Israel
PETACH TIKVA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

But I was just in Holland recently and wanted to buy the English Machi Koro, I asked for the second edition and the seller said they only have the Dutch second edition.

I looked at the English box and saw it had the correct picture on the front but no yellow sticker.

So it seems to me that in reality there are 3 editions:
-edition 1
-edition 2
-edition 2.5 which includes the promo cards.

Now when buying online how do I know if I'm buying edition 2 or edition 2.5??

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your order seems to be a bit off. For the English editions, the promos were only in the first batch of 2nd editions. All newer 2nd edition copies come without promos so anything you get online now will likely not come with promos.

Also worth mentioning that the promos currently have the mismatched size with the Harbor expansion. This is a problem with the entire deck in most sets it seems, but so far it seems they are only able to send out replacement decks that do not include promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dorman
Israel
PETACH TIKVA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I order a new copy from Bookdepository it's going to come without the promo cards?

While for example the Dutch 2nd edition does contain them...

Kind of strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
The first edition isn't for sale anywhere anymore, so you'll definitely get the 2nd edition.

The greenish color is because someone posted a CMYK image on the internet without converting it to RGB first. We've been trying to fix Amazon's listing for the Harbor expansion for weeks where someone did the same.

A friend bought a copy from our local games shop last Friday, and lo and behold, it was the old (wrong) sized cards.

One clue was the presence of the promo cards in the box.

In other words, after buying the base and expansion in the same shop at the same time, he had mismatched cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
QuickDaniel wrote:
So if I order a new copy from Bookdepository it's going to come without the promo cards?

Kind of strange.

White Goblin is the publisher of the Dutch edition of the game. We have nothing to do with there version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
stooge wrote:

A friend bought a copy from our local games shop last Friday, and lo and behold, it was the old (wrong) sized cards.

One clue was the presence of the promo cards in the box.

In other words, after buying the base and expansion in the same shop at the same time, he had mismatched cards.
I bought my base game copy in January from a brand new restock at CSI (they had previously been out of stock). I obviously didn't get a promo card copy, but my cards also didn't match my recently purchased expansion cards so the problem is much more widespread than just the early copies. Seems to be nearly every copy available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dorman
Israel
PETACH TIKVA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
QuickDaniel wrote:

Kind of strange.

White Goblin is the publisher of the Dutch edition of the game. We have nothing to do with there version.

So essentially you are saying they are a much better publisher since they have a second edition with the same sized cards as the expansion AND the promo cards.

We are not that good so you have to suffer?

I really hate messy publications, really do hate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QuickDaniel wrote:
stooge wrote:
QuickDaniel wrote:

Kind of strange.

So essentially you are saying they are a much better publisher since they have a second edition with the same sized cards as the expansion AND the promo cards.

I think it's well established by now that the English language publication of this game was a mess.

But it's a mess that is being strongly rewarded, because the game has been so popular. So, I guess customers are happy with the way things are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
QuickDaniel wrote:
stooge wrote:
QuickDaniel wrote:

Kind of strange.

I was pointing out that White Goblin is a separate company, and we have no control over what they have chosen to do, which is why there are differences in the editions.

The card size difference is not between the base set and the expansion. It is between very early printings of the base set that have been corrected, and effects a small percentage of owners of Machi Koro.

If you happen to be one of those effected, we will make sure that you are taken care of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
QuickDaniel wrote:
stooge wrote:
QuickDaniel wrote:

Kind of strange.

I was pointing out that White Goblin is a separate company, and we have no control over what they have chosen to do, which is why there are differences in the editions.

The card size difference is not between the base set and the expansion. It is between very early printings of the base set that have been corrected, and effects a small percentage of owners of Machi Koro.

If you happen to be one of those effected, we will make sure that you are taken care of.

Are there any plans to reprint the Gaming Mega Store in the new card size? I have a first print run 2nd Edition and there is definitely a problem with shuffling and color shifts so that it's easy to tell which cards are from the expansion and which are not.

I sent an email to IDW last week but haven't heard back yet. Either way, I would prefer all of the cards to be consistent (promos or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.