Jorgen S
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I'm running a Valentine's Tabletop Night at a local restaurant/pub. It's located right next to the UC Berkeley Campus and I have a good portion of interest, but I want to make sure there's an equal gender distribution at the event.

What would you recommend I do to attract more girls to the event?

Here's the FB link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1628232627400837
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as a gamer I that would certainly get me interested. It's an original invitation to a night playing games... Sure thing.

So I guess the main question is: the 'more girls' you're talking about, would that be non-gamers (or newbie-gamers)?

For attracting non-gamers it might be nice to mention that there are games for any level of player (no previous knowledge of games required). On the other hand it might be hard to get non-gamers to go gaming on Valentine's, there many more special things to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would be turned away because I don't love Catan. BUT, that cast iron cookie looks amazing! Neither have anything to do with my gender. I think what you most need to get equal gender representation is to advertise it well. Do you have female gamers that can invite some of their friends? Has your group been treating female gamers well that they would be willing? Unfortunately, there's no magic to attract women to a gaming event. Anything that made it seem like you were trying would probably inherently make me feel a bit skeeved out by the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this sentence is supposed to be funny

"We're bringing your favorite games there so you can discover if your partner is a sore loser or a graceful winner."

but to me it's just negative. I'd leave it out.

It's clear latter down on the page that Free House is a restaurant but that should be made clear without scrolling down. Many women wouldn't go to an event at a private place if they don't know the people so it should be crystal clear at first glance this is a public place, near public transportation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Atkins
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a gamer, I'd like to see a sample list of some of the games you'll have. I'm not a fan of Catan and probably wouldn't go if that was all I thought you were going to play.

From a non-gamer perspective, I'd try to make sure it was clearer that people of all experience levels are welcome and that someone would be there to teach a game if a player is new to a game or gaming in general.

Since you are near UC Berkely, can you put out flyers to campus groups or public spaces? It may drum up interest.

anjulka wrote:
Unfortunately, there's no magic to attract women to a gaming event. Anything that made it seem like you were trying would probably inherently make me feel a bit skeeved out by the event.

I agree completely with what Rose said here and would feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Be invited.

Ok I know that didn't help. But here is a picture from a Valentine Lady Gamer Tea my group did one year.

We used chocolate hearts in place of the siege engines in Shadows over Camelot. Made fighting them so much more fun... and yummy.

I like how you made sure that Singles were welcome. That would have been my main concern as a single person. Not wanting to feel like the odd person out at a couples event.

So you might want to stress that there are singles signed up to be there if you happen to know some are coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hoye
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love playing pretty much anything except war games! I'll try 'em all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* Indicate more of the games, and especially that there will be some that are newbie friendly, and if there will be people to help teach them
* Make it clear that it won't be 1 on 1 all night long, that might freak some people out
* Make it LGBT friendly, and state that clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misa Knight
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were looking quickly, I'd think it was a "fans of Catan" event. So, I wouldn't go. If you plan on doing it next year, maybe change the name?

Is it only for experienced gamers? Only for gamers? What if I wanted to play a new game? Would people there be willing to show me how or should I count on playing only games I already know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do heavy advertising in girls heavy places like women residence and women dominated departments. I feel like it could be hard to attain parity given that most of your attendees are already men but good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would have had to be seriously drugged down... Sorry, no offence to those of you who enjoy Valentines, but I choose to ignore it completely. A non theme board game event would be the best for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen S
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you everyone!

Turns out my fears were unfounded; over 50 people took the trek up to the place even though it's a good chunk away from the nearest public transit hub. And we had a 50/50 split in terms of gender.

I somehow didn't get the updates from BGG until now, so I didn't see all the amazing suggestions you guys made, but I will bring them with me for my next event that is sure to happen!

If you'd like to see a few pics from the night:
http://www.gamesofberkeley.com/blogs/news/18866547-event-rec...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.