Subject: Opinions on game expansions in general rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
They can be good, it depends.I like games that can offer a lot of variety and I think expansions can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
subnaut wrote:
I tend not to like game expansions. If I play a game so much my group tires of it, an expansion doesn't typically change the game enough for that played feeling to go away.

I see you maybe should add an expansion before the game loses its shine. When the shine's gone, you are not going to get it back.

Do you have any examples of games like that, and how many plays did you get out of the game?

Anyway, some expansions are good, some are bad, some unnecessary, some add the exact right stuff that makes the game ideally suited for our group. And if we have found a great game that is gladly played by everyone in the group, expansions give it longevity in various ways, the biggest being giving more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions are just like games. They come in good, bad, and mediocre.

That said, I tend to like expansions. If I have some money burning a hole in my pocket (a disturbingly infrequent occurrence), sometimes the decision is between an unplayed game (an unknown) or more content for a game I already enjoy (likely to be good).

Also, there's the learning factor. If your group already loves Eldritch Horror, then adding Forsaken Lore is easy. Not really any new rules and just adds content to the game. But getting a whole different game (say, Mansions of Madness) means everyone has to learn it from scratch.

But, like I said above. Expansions aren't inherently good or bad. They just are. If you like the experience one provides, then get it. If you don't, then don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to play with a large group of people, so it's not very often that the same people will be playing the same game often, which means that only the base game gets played with since not enough people are ready for an expansion, which almost always adds new complexity to the game.

I generally prefer to just get a different game than to get an expansion, but there are exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions are a tradeoff, enhancing an old game instead of getting a new one. Often an expansion will also ruin the old game, by making it more complex (I sort of feel this way about King of Tokyo's Power UP and remake King of New York).

Often my sweet spot is one expansion for a game I like but don't loooove, like Gathering Storm for RftG and Inns & Cathedrals for Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
subnaut wrote:

I think I must be in the minority though because companies keep making expansions, which means people keep buying them. It really doesn't bother me one way or another unless I feel the base game is obviously MADE for expansions. Then, that is a big turn off for me, as it feels incomplete.

Well, obviously perhaps, game companies don't expect to sell as many expansions as base games. It's okay for you to be in that group that doesn't want one

For me, I'd rather buy something that adds to something I already love than something I might not love. (Though I spend plenty on both . . . )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not super adamant about expansions, but I think this is mostly due to the fact that I still haven't played a lot of games (I've probably played about 100-150 total games, maybe less), and that includes good and bad games. So at this point, there's still a lot for me to learn/experience with games by themselves.

I think that once I have a much better number of games played under my belt, those games that I really love will weed out those that are just okay or bad, and for those games (the ones I really love), I'll want to expand and keep playing but adding new experiences to.

I do have some expansions for the games I own already, but not very many, I'll usually buy a new game before I'll buy an expansion.

I'll also say that I can understand buying expansions. You already own a game, so you don't have to buy a brand new game, learn the rules, and hope you like it, you just expand on a game you already love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally love expansions.

Even more than nachos.

However, some are pretty bad.

Like a bad bowl of nachos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Solt
United States
Palmerton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love expansions. I usually buy them as soon as I buy the base game. Then I add it to the game after a few plays. There are a few exceptions though. I have no add ons to Catan. Still don't feel it needs any. Maybe one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
subnaut wrote:
I tend not to like game expansions. ...
On the other hand, if we are still thoroughly enjoying the base game, why get an expansion?
If there is a game that I really like then adding new geegaws and distractions does NOT really elevate my enjoyment. I just plain ignore them.

mlcarter815 wrote:
I generally prefer to just get a different game than to get an expansion, but there are exceptions.
I'm with you up until I get to that comma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see some merit to expansions. I prefer ones that tend to flesh out an existing game and it's concepts, such as The Lost Legion or Banners of War. Generally though I am much less apt to pick up an expansion for an existing games, as opposed to getting a whole new game altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
mbmbmbmbmb
I find expansions are usually not only valuable, but almost necessary in most games. Look at dominion, pandemic, cosmic encounter for example. Even if you just use an expansion to add extra things you can do to the base game without changing the game radically, I still think its superb, and it can often turn a good game into a great one.

If it changes the game radically, e.g. catan or battlestar galactica, even better usually. I find BSG almost unplayable with just the base now, and would only consider it to teach the game.

But then, I'm one of the weird ones that likes the catapult in carcassonne, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Edit: grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather spend my money to get a NEW experience. Expansions don't usually make a game better, they just tweek the existing game. There are just too many great games out there not to buy something new. I usually don't play the same game with the same group more than 2-3 times anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like expansions, but I also don't think that every game is helped by them. Kingsburg is a good example of a game that sorely needed an expansion; Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm really made that game a lot better and gave it much more replayability. Dominion, on the other hand, was already VERY replayable. But the many expansions introduced new facets into the game and took it in many different directions. Quarriors!, the dice building game, BEGS to be expanded!

But there are some great games that are great stand-alone. Railways of the World, Puerto Rico, Bootleggers, Hermagor, and The Castles of Burgundy are all fine games that can be played over and over without being changed. (At least in my world!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My general opinion is that expansions are just too expensive....and generally they don't change the game enough to justify the add'l investment. I rarely pick up an expansion, because I think for a little more I could get a new game to provide a completely different experience.

There are a few expansions that I own that have made a significant improvement to the game: Carcassone, Hive, Kingsburg, Ticket to Ride (1910). If expansions were cheaper, I suspect that I would have a lot more than I do today.

Case in point. I have the game Cyclades. I would like to get Titans. But I will likely never pull the trigger on it because I would prefer to pick up a new game than to improvement a game I already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I do NOT like expansions, and feel slightly exacerbated when I hear of one coming down the pike. Personally, it feels slightly dishonest when a game is designed with expansions in mind (which is different than being expandable). For example, I would never think of the factions in Summoner Wars as "expansions".

I tend to feel this way for the inverse reason, mostly that I don't play games super often, so when I get a game and hear that an expansion is on the way, I feel like it's too soon - I haven't even gotten to explore all the strategies of the base game, let along incorporate other elements, mechanics, players, scoring options, etc.

Of course, there are a *few* exceptions. Good expansions I consider are those to Kingsburg, Pandemic, and Village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I like them. Right now im getting the Talisman small box expansions laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzy22 wrote:
Expansions don't usually make a game better, they just tweek the existing game.

You have the power of choice!

All (read: most) of my expansions do make their respective games better. (And even small tweaks can make an okay game into a great game.) If your expansions do not, then you have bought the wrong ones.

If there is an expansion to a game we play, the expansion is not a must-buy for me. And I'm certainly not completionist. I pick and choose an expansion if and when the expansion gives something that increases our enjoyment of the game. And I never buy an expansion before playing the base game first. (I can buy expansions with the base game if I have played the game before.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love expansions, especially for games I really love. I tend to like really light games, but when I really get into a game I love it when there is an expansion available that adds a little complexity.

Examples for me are Elder Sign, Pandemic, Castle Panic, Ghost Stories, and the Lord of the Rings co-op game. I love them all, because they are fun and simple... but, without expansions I'm not sure how much I'd play any of them any more. With expansions, I'd still more-than-gladly play any of these, probably many, many more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wünsche
Germany
Minfeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I general i think, expansions are for draining money out of your pocket. Concening the prices. Best example is Small World

Basegame i got for 30 €... good Price. Contains a lot of stuff...
Each Expansion, i really want is between 10 and 15 €... What the hell. There are mainly 3-5 Races ...

Take Pandemic: good game, works fine without expansions...30€
First expansion 30€, Second Expansion 37 €.
The Expansions bring a lot of fluff with it, but do you really need them?

Other Topic, Player Extensions...
Most of the really cool Games initially for 2-5 Players. What we need, are games for exactly 6 Players. First option, don't buy this game, second option try houserules, third buy the 6 player Extension... (carcassone has one, thats really good, smallworld only if you bought other expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some expansions, I consider part of the base game.
By which I mean that I feel that it completes certain aspects of the base game and makes for a more 'whole' experience.
Even if the base is totally playable/enjoyable by itself.
Examples: Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders and Lord of the Rings: Friends & Foes

Some change the gameplay in a significant way.
But in doing so they create a whole new game/variant 'within the same world', if you will.
So choosing to play with or without it depends on what kind of game I feel like playing, and both are good.
Example: Catan: Cities & Knights.

Some take the above to far though.
With these I feel like they change/ruin something vital to the intital game's fun.
These are the expansions that end up disappointing, even if I can appreciate the idea behind it.
Example: Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon

Lastly, some are just "more fun".
The base game is great, and this just adds more stuff, more options, more everything.
No drastic changes, and you can play with or without (or even mix-and-match stuff).
Example: all Arkham Horror expansions, Catan: Seafarers, CCG games in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have zero expansions so far, I am however thinking about some because as much as I like the games I have a few of them would be nice if they had a little more to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to look into expansions when I feel the base game is getting a bit stale. Even when recognising that state, I won't buy them right away, a lot of research goes into any game I buy and I'll only consider getting an expansion if the base game is one I and my players already enjoy and want to keep it alive and fresh and we know we'll get our moneys worth.

For example, 7 Wonders: Leaders really revitalised the game for us, adding a lot of variety and forcing us to break away from our usual strategies.

Agricola is another of my favourite games, and while I am interested in the Moor expansion, I've barely scratched the surface of the base game. Hell, I haven't even opened the Interactive and Complex decks yet, so getting an expansion would be pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
As multiple people have already said expansions are like games, some are good and some are bad.

There are the ones which seem to 'fix' the base game and while I really dislike the idea that I would be required to buy an expansion to get a good game and I'm less likely to buy a game like that, if I was persuaded that the game with expansion was just that good I might buy both together.

I tend to buy expansions for games that I am still really enjoying and want to increase variety or try new things within or around that game. I generally don't buy expansions for a game I'm already sick of. I got sick of Dominion and bought Dominion Intrigue to try and revitalise my interest but never played it, because I'd still be playing Dominion and I didn't want to do that.

subnaut wrote:

Talisman 20+
Ticket to Ride 30+
Small World 20+
Settlers of Catan 30+

on the other hand

Carcasonne 100+ (still love the base game, own expansions used them probably once each)
Le Havre 300+ (still love the base game, own expansion, used it maybe twice)

Of the ones you mentioned that I have played:

Ticket to Ride - I have lots of expansions because I like the game and they add variety. People may be sick of working on their New York to San Francisco ticket every game but be interested in plotting a route from Norway to Sweden or across Asia. Whether these expansions are good value is open to debate since when you have the base game you are not getting a lot more, however if I play each one 10 times then I think they were worth it in isolation, even though I may have just played TTR an additional 30 times instead.

Small World - The expansions are great. They are cheap and they add variety. In the base game I have often run out of races and needed to recycle them which I don't like doing and more of each race and power means geometrically more combinations possible. I confess I don't feel the need to get any more though, at this point I think I have enough variety and unless an expansion added something more than new races and powers I probably won't get it.

Settlers of Catan - I don't like it enough to get any expansions. I did some research and it doesn't look like any expansion would change the game enough to make me like it significantly more and I don't see the point in buying an expansion for a game that I play maybe once a year.

Carcassonne - This suffers from having too many expansions which don't add enough in my opinion. Unlike in Small World the more extra stuff you add the more you lessen the base game. However Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders are both great. I&C just improves the game and I wouldn't consider playing without it unless I was teaching the game to multiple new people. T&B I either include or not depending on the mood of the table. If I'm including both sets of new tiles I may leave out the big meeple, the pigs or the builder meeples so as not to drown out the basic game mechanics too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've foudn myself generally pulled towards games that don't suit expansions, or at least don't have any.

Martin Wallace games are Soooooo rarely expanded upon, and when they do, they never just add extra mechanics / cards, they fundamentally reinvent the game (Steam vs Steam Barons) or provide a new scenario (board) (Age Of Industry). These games seem to feel so much more interesting that a game designing to have more and more pieces nailed onto it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.