Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
So, say you're sitting on a plane next to your friend. It's a long flight and yet, foolishly, you brought no games with you. No cards, no dice, nothing. You could probably get your hands on some scrap paper and a pencil. Maybe some coins. You only have things you might normally carry with you or that you can potentially scrounge up. What's your favorite game in this type of scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Spy. No components needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were willing to draw out your own map you could probably create a very simple version of something like Letters From Whitechapel (or similar). If I remember the game correctly a very basic version would be a few counters (coins, bottle top, plenty of stuff you could use for this) and then the map. I've only played once a long time ago though so I'm probably forgetting something.

You could tear up pieces of paper into the correct shape to make Hive. Would be a bit of effort to get the pieces correct but it wouldn't be too difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Indonesian Finger Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For more than 2 players with some paper and a pencil, you could make up a set of one night werewolf (or regular werewolf/mafia).

If you had grid paper, or patience to draw a grid, you could play a number of abstracts.

When I was younger, I used to just enjoy playing 'Boxes'.

Racetrack is a fun game with grid paper.

You have a couple of coins and a flat surface, you can play something like shuffleboard, billiards, air hockey.

With just your hands, chopsticks, or spellbinder which seems interesting.

Then there's a number of other parlour games, like charades

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dezza wrote:
If you had grid paper, or patience to draw a grid, you could play a number of abstracts.

When I was younger, I used to just enjoy playing 'Boxes'.

Racetrack is a fun game with grid paper.
Let's add Word Squares, also a good game around the after-dinner table or fireplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin Age ought to qualify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fight! with just coins.
Chomp! with any group of objects.

Too many to list with pen and paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would normally have my phone with me on a plane, so pass-and-play Star Realms or Ticket To Ride.

But I think that's against the point of the question. Battleship is very doable with pencil and paper.

If you can get more people involved, Eat Poop You Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.