Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I just complete our first game. We're thinking we did something wrong because the following happened:

1. We both scored around 200 points (a lot coming from excess money)
2. The market consistently stayed at 7-8 (meaning CEP won at end of the game from region control were worth a lot).
3. All the UN cards were taken and scored by the middle of the 3rd decade.
4. We were both maxed out on several expertise tracks (so CEPs were getting put back in regions frequently, depleting the market and keeping the price high).
5. The end of the game just seemed to be maneuvering so that we didn't set each other up to construct projects.
6. The CO2 levels got to 460 but we didn't really feel that we would lose as we starting replacing the dirty plants.

Is this normal in a 2 player game? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play these right?

2. CEP price always decreases by 1 as soon a player sells one.
3. You can play only one card per turn (any kind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
fisha wrote:
Did you play these right?

2. CEP price always decreases by 1 as soon a player sells one.
3. You can play only one card per turn (any kind).

Thanks for responding. We were doing the CEP prices and cards right (only problem was we played with 10 cards rather than the 7 for a two player game).

Played a second game with similar results...all expertise tracks maxed out, market at 8 for basically the last two decades, so when CEPs are handed out and sold there are a lot of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I have never played it with two players. I hope someone can answer your queastions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a two player variant which has shorter turns here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882709/2-player-variant-pote... try that instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome. Will definitely try it out. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you increasing the market value only when the market is deployed.
So you need to see the skull before the value increases by one. Every time you sell one cep, placed it in the market and decrease price by one. Now you need to take 3 ceps to the value increases again.

And yes, play the 2 players game with only 4 decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
newrev wrote:
Are you increasing the market value only when the market is deployed.
So you need to see the skull before the value increases by one. Every time you sell one cep, placed it in the market and decrease price by one. Now you need to take 3 ceps to the value increases again.

And yes, play the 2 players game with only 4 decades.

Vital, thanks for taking the time to respond. We have several of your games and thoroughly enjoy them all.

I believe we are handling the market value rule correctly. In the later decades the market is depleted several times by either the spaces on the expertise track that add ceps or replacing dirty plants (with no selling actions to lower the price as we have found no need to sell ceps at that point in the game).

We actually played a 4 player game last night which ended after 3 decades because the ppm dropped below 350 after going above that threshold and the market was at 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter, that rule only happens at the 4th decade. Please take a look at the faq, here in bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played a 3-player game and had the same experience (everything described by OP).

The player who hoarded CEPs won. I tried to decrease the market value by selling a few times, but there were just two many CEPs leaving the market and the price was stuck at 7-8 by the end. I didn't have that many CEPs to sell anyway.

Should the other players have focused on controlling more regions to counter the CEPs of the hoarding player? There was seemingly no realistic way to lower the market price, since you can't sell CEPs from regions you control. Is there a way to move CEPs from regions you control to your hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabgfan wrote:
My wife and I just complete our first game. We're thinking we did something wrong because the following happened:

1. We both scored around 200 points (a lot coming from excess money)
2. The market consistently stayed at 7-8 (meaning CEP won at end of the game from region control were worth a lot).
3. All the UN cards were taken and scored by the middle of the 3rd decade.
4. We were both maxed out on several expertise tracks (so CEPs were getting put back in regions frequently, depleting the market and keeping the price high).
5. The end of the game just seemed to be maneuvering so that we didn't set each other up to construct projects.
6. The CO2 levels got to 460 but we didn't really feel that we would lose as we starting replacing the dirty plants.

Is this normal in a 2 player game? Thanks!

We felt exactly the same I was wondering if we did something wrong but as I can see, you had similiar experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2 player all the time but only play 4 decades. It makes the game much better. Try it out for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I play 2 player all the time but only play 4 decades. It makes the game much better. Try it out for yourself.

Yup, we are planning to play 4 decades (with 5 rounds) this weekend. Then I will be able to see how it works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.