19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What's so great about Gagarin Deep Space? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amphi Prison
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to think out loud about Gagarin Deep Space. It's a lonely Corp ID, sitting all out by its lonesome, and it's getting no love.

Why go to Space? Let's figure out why not, first.

1) Space is expensive!

People might say that there is no money in space, and this is true. Any money up there is there because you brought it with you. But this can be okay sometimes: If the Runner wants to come visit you in space, they have to pay! Where does the money go? Not to you. Nobody knows. It is a space mystery.

2) You can't bounce your assets and ICE in space like you can in Blue Sun!

In space, there is no gravity, so you cannot bounce things very well. If you like to bounce things back to your HQ all the time, maybe you should not go to space. Sorry.

3) You can't kill people in space!

While normally, people cannot live in space at all, there is nothing about Gagarin Deep Space that helps kill people, unless maybe you keep a dedicated response team in space, because then they are slightly more expensive to visit than otherwise. I am not sure this is a good enough reason to try to kill people in space. Killing people is mean, so we are not going to do it in space.

Okay, now on to the reasons why we should maybe go to space!

1) Space is expensive for runners!

Sure, space doesn't make you any money, but it sure does cost the runner money. This can help more than you might think. Did you forget to RSVP for your space ticket? Looks like you are not going to space today! Not even to steal my space agendas, which normally you could have for free. The NAPD really like to go to space for this reason- it is like a contract for peaceful vacation times! Maybe also implement a paywall, so that if they visit your remote stuff you get paid. You can pretend that they are paying you to go to space, if you like. Maybe use some encryption protocols, because space secrets are the best kind of secrets. If the runner runs on an Encryption Protocol you didn't get around to rezzing yet, it will still cost them 3 credits- one to access, then two to trash. If you have just small agendas, they will run all over space trying to find your agendas just in case you left one outside by accident!

2) Space is pretty nice as long as you are nice!

Bad publicity is for jerks and bullies. If you get any on you, the runner gets a free ticket to all your space places, and that's a little bit sad. Make sure you do nice things for people, like Veterans Programs, so that if someone accuses you of being a jerk, they will be wrong. Plus, since you are part of the same corporation as jerks and bullies, sometimes runners will take it nice and slow because they think you might scorch their earth from space. Maybe tag them once or twice, just so they think twice about running willy-nilly in space. That can be dangerous.

3) Pretty constellations!

You know what's out in space? Stars. You know what's a good place to learn how to see stars? Space Camp! You can set up a secret Space Camp in remote space, and then when the Runner goes to visit, they pay a credit, and you get to advance a thing. Then, since Space Camp is only for a little while, you can get rid of it to make room for something else- maybe another Space Camp, maybe a Constellation Protocol! There's not much to do in space, so advancing ice is a nice way to pass the time.

4) Surprise parties in space!

Remember how Jinteki gets to throw surprise parties for runners all the time? You can do the same thing, but nicer! You can set up Space Camps, Executive Boot Camps, Constellation Protocol (which I like to imagine is Astronomy Camp), whatever kind of camp you like, and then when they think they're going to hit a trap, surprise! Something that doesn't hurt them instead. Maybe they're not careful, and their stuff gets broken into Shattered Remains. Maybe they just leave you alone in space to score your agendas in peace.

Here is a terrible deck I made in space. I thought it would be nice to have a Government Takeover, because then I could go Off the Grid- way off the grid: into space! The runner can run R&D and get nowhere because GT plays Hide-and-Seek at Glenn Station, or they can run into space and pay many dollars. Your Architects will help you build a super space station, especially if you Patch them up so they don't get run over by Mimics. Crisium Grid goes on your HQ or maybe your R&D too, because sometimes runners are jerks and try to sneak into places they shouldn't. Maybe instead of Shattered Remains, you include Self-Destruct, and then when they try to steal your Government Takeover after trashing Off the Grid, you just blow everything up and Jackson it back into your R&D! That does not seem like a very clever plan, but I tried it anyway.

I hope you like it, or I hope you find ways to make space more fun for everybody. I would like to thank all the good people who made the rocket ship Up Goer Five. Without them I do not go to space.

Go To Space Today

Gagarin Deep Space: Expanding the Horizon (Order and Chaos)

Agenda (9)
1x Chronos Project (First Contact)
3x Glenn Station (Order and Chaos)
1x Government Takeover (Order and Chaos)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
1x Veterans Program (True Colors)

Asset (12)
1x Constellation Protocol (Order and Chaos)
1x Executive Boot Camp (All That Remains)
2x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) ••
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)
1x Shattered Remains (First Contact)
3x Space Camp (Order and Chaos)
1x The Root (Upstalk)

Upgrade (6)
2x Crisium Grid (First Contact)
2x Cyberdex Virus Suite (Order and Chaos)
2x Off the Grid (Second Thoughts)

Operation (6)
1x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
2x Patch (Order and Chaos)
2x Paywall Implementation (The Spaces Between)
1x Trick of Light (Trace Amount) •••

Barrier (5)
1x Hadrian's Wall (Core Set)
3x Hive (Double Time)
1x Ice Wall (Core Set)

Code Gate (5)
3x RSVP (True Colors) ••••• •
2x Wormhole (Order and Chaos)

Sentry (6)
2x Architect (Up and Over) ••••
1x Nebula (Order and Chaos)
3x Shadow (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a fellow fan of Up Goer Five; I absolutely loved this post. Have some GG.

Which I had to pay to come to space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Amphiprison wrote:
That does not seem like a very clever plan, but I tried it anyway.

Ha ha. Nice. I will try your deck.

I hadn't thought about using Glenn Station simply to remove a GT from the game. Agenda point density goes right down. Still high risk though, seeing as you have to score the GS, find the GT and click to host it before you can really relax a bit. Scoring it will require even more moving parts clicking into place but simply removing it from the game seems like it might be a viable strategy.

I feel like I'd want to put Midway Station Grid into a Gagarin deck. A moderately protected remote with a Midway in it becomes a taxation headache. And I guess getting a single piece of ice in front of any remotes is a sensible idea to further aggravate the runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
I love the post, but...

What's with the 1x Shattered Remains? Since you're not running Scorch, this seems like the weakest available advanceable trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I am Polish and Poland cannot into space...

But it's a great read! I wish there was real "Astronomy Camp" card. Have you played this deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, what's great about Gagarin Deep Space is that it's named after Yuri Gagarin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just sad it doesn't come with a legion of corp-owned runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amphi Prison
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for prompt responses and GG!

On Ambushes:

Shattered Remains is the only zero-influence ambush aside from Plan B, which does not help unless it is advanced so many times that I might as well have advanced something else. Most of the other ambushes either cost multiple influence or didn't do much with only one advancement token on it. With SR, if I bluff out a Glenn Station or NAPD with it, and they don't bite, I don't feel too bad. Because I am legitimately trying to score out Government Takover (hey, I said it was terrible!), I decided my influence would be better spent on trying to keep the runner out of centrals rather than do super tricksy things with GDS. It was ultimately less silly than my original plan, which called for a Self-Destruct as a backup plan should the runner somehow get into the remote server where I had installed GT. Blow up the entire remote, send GT to Archives, ask Jackson Howard to go get it and Off the Grid back for you, and accept that you do not go to space that day.

You could totally try for a tricksier build with Junebugs and Cerebral Overwriters and whatnot, and if they don't go for it, you can always pretend to be scoring a Government Takeover, then install a Shell Corporation on that remote. Apparently on a successful run, if you access one card, you access them all, so the more silly upgrades like Cyberdex Virus Suite you can dump on a remote, the less appealing it is to trash the one thing the runner actually wants to trash.

On Midway Grid:

Midway does sound pretty good, but it's going to compete with Crisium on centrals and I haven't seen too many pieces of ICE I'd really like to have in front of it in a remote. Maybe I can find time to drop a Hive in front of the Government Takeover while I'm advancing it to victory? I really like the safety of Crisium Grid combined with Off the Grid once my HQ is good and taxing, usually through some combination of RSVPs, Shadows, and maybe a Wormhole to really mess with things. Wormholing RSVP and Architect subs is my favorite.

On playing this deck:

I did actually test this deck at least a little before posting, and my meta is kind of heavy on Parasite/Eater shenanigans, so I found that Patching an Architect on R&D and/or HQ was the surest way to discourage runners from trying to charge into my centrals and steal my GT, because if they find it before you do then you do not go to space that day. I am the worst at deckbuilding, as should be evidenced by my numerous contingency plans, and I acknowledge that this is a very, very, very rough draft. I was hoping to get people more excited about going to space, including myself. I can see a strong argument forming for just firing GT into space and fast-advancing Atlases for the win as well, but dumb ideas die hard

On Poland:

Someday Poland will into space! But only if you behave. Nice people get to go to Astronomy Camp. If you scorch your own rocket building to stop a runner, you will not go to space that day.

On Gagarin:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Laika-themed ice, personally Gagarin was a very nice man. He did not try to launch a punitive counterstrike when he got to space. Not even a little bit.

As for the legions of corp-owned runners, Gagarin has been up and running for only a short time. It takes time and money to get that many runners to go to space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Amphiprison wrote:
Blow up the entire remote, send GT to Archives, ask Jackson Howard to go get it and Off the Grid back for you, and accept that you do not go to space that day.

Launch pad explosion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Amphiprison wrote:
On Ambushes:

Shattered Remains is the only zero-influence ambush aside from Plan B, which does not help unless it is advanced so many times that I might as well have advanced something else. Most of the other ambushes either cost multiple influence or didn't do much with only one advancement token on it. With SR, if I bluff out a Glenn Station or NAPD with it, and they don't bite, I don't feel too bad.

Use GRNDL Refinery instead. I don't know what that thing is doing in space (He3 making?), but I think it does the thing you want to do better: if they do not make a run on it, you get money, and if they do make a run on it, they must spend money. If you act like it is Government Takeover and they do not run it then you get a lot of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amphiprison wrote:
Apparently on a successful run, if you access one card, you access them all

I think Gagarin actually changes that, the runner never has to pay for additional costs (so even if they could steal a Fetal AI, NAPD, pay for Red Herring, etc), they don't have to. That includes the additional cost to access "a card" with Gagarin, which means the runner would be able to access selectively with Gagarin, making stacked remotes less dangerous - they could just walk in and trash the Shelf Corp without actually eating whatever else was sitting on it.

Unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Gagarin makes it so the runner does not have to access all cards (at least I assume so unless accessing gets a different ruling)

My attempt at Gargarin is here, and has done surprisingly well. Lots of assets/upgrades, and ideally wants a ton of upgrades in one remote, can make it expensive to even just see what the agenda is, and the good thing about Gargarin is that it even costs 1 credit to use imp.

Dedicated Space Team

Gagarin Deep Space: Expanding the Horizon (Order and Chaos)

Agenda (9)
3x Glenn Station (Order and Chaos)
1x Government Takeover (Order and Chaos)
2x Posted Bounty (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (11)
3x Dedicated Response Team (Future Proof)
1x Encryption Protocol (Trace Amount)
2x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) ••
2x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)

Upgrade (9)
2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••••
2x Bernice Mai (Humanity's Shadow) ••••
1x Cyberdex Virus Suite (Order and Chaos)
3x Shell Corporation (All That Remains)
1x Will-o'-the-Wisp (The Spaces Between)

Operation (5)
2x Patch (Order and Chaos)
3x Scorched Earth (Core Set)

Barrier (6)
1x Changeling (Up and Over)
2x Hive (Double Time)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set)

Code Gate (1)
1x Wendigo (First Contact)

Sentry (8)
2x Architect (Up and Over) ••••
3x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead)
3x Shadow (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

No one expects the space team to drop from orbit and smash in your window!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As Quinn's pointed out in the latest Terminal 7, Paywall Implementation is a stellar card in this deck. On every access, it's a Desperado credit for the Corp. On every remote access, it's a Pop Up Window, with a two credit swing.

That can really set the course for the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, wonderful post!

Secondly, a card I think has a better chance in Gagarin than most other IDs - Docklands Crackdown. It's already more expensive for the runner to run your space servers, why not make it more expensive to buy their space programs and other space installations in the first place? Especially since they then need to pay space tax in order to break your Crackdown.

Added bonus of it being a Weyland ID, so you could use Helium-3 Deposit as well to boost the Crackdowns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Firstly, wonderful post!

Secondly, a card I think has a better chance in Gagarin than most other IDs - Docklands Crackdown. It's already more expensive for the runner to run your space servers, why not make it more expensive to buy their space programs and other space installations in the first place? Especially since they then need to pay space tax in order to break your Crackdown.

Added bonus of it being a Weyland ID, so you could use Helium-3 Deposit as well to boost the Crackdowns.

I like it! Come on new IDs, find us a use for these crap cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryVeck wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Firstly, wonderful post!

I like it! Come on new IDs, find us a use for these crap cards!

well while we're at it, if you're going docklands, might as well swap some agendas around and insert He3. Click a token or two on the crackdown and then let He3 supply it with more tokens.

Lets see some decklists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amphi Prison
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's what I could come up with on short notice. Constellation ice is glacieriffic here, and I decided to see what it would look like to just go completely lateral. Install + advance something behind an RSVP, seems legit and easier than Off the Grid. The Root left for GRNDL Refinery- The Root is on Earth anyway, it has no place in space.

Red Herrings is a nasty surprise: Want that NAPD Contract? Best be ready to pay 11, plus whatever the trash cost of Red Herrings ends up being!

Slow Roll Weyland (49 cards)
Gagarin Deep Space: Expanding the Horizon
-- Agenda (10 cards)
1 Chronos Project
1 Government Contracts
3 Helium-3 Deposit
3 NAPD Contract
1 Utopia Fragment
1 Veterans Program
-- Asset (17 cards)
1 Constellation Protocol
3 Docklands Crackdown
3 Encryption Protocol
1 Executive Boot Camp
2 GRNDL Refinery
3 Jackson Howard
1 Reversed Accounts
3 Space Camp
-- ICE (13 cards)
2 Architect
1 Builder
3 Ice Wall
1 Orion
1 RSVP
3 Shadow
2 Wormhole
-- Operation (6 cards)
2 Diversified Portfolio
3 Housekeeping
1 Patch
-- Upgrade (3 cards)
1 Crisium Grid
1 Cyberdex Virus Suite
1 Red Herrings

Download Android Netrunner DeckBuilder for free at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shuneault....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amphi Prison
msg tools
mbmbmb
Captain's Log, Stardate 2.14.2015.

Early experiments yielded a wealth of new data, most of which is depressing or discouraging. Security Testing yielded a number of vulnerabilities- The Desperado console effectively spoofed access to our extraterrestrial remotes, rendering the security protocols useless. This was especially embarrassing for the Encryption Protocols, as Legionnaire #94207 profited directly off of the assets that were intended to tax them! Attempting to install ICE on remotes yielded middling-to-poor results. Installing ICE on an Encryption Protocol served largely as an exercise in futility. A failure in background testing led to a number of Inside Jobs on our remote assets, rendering a multi-asset strategy largely useless.

Results: Did Not Go To Space Today.

Recommendations: Argus consultants recommend a direct hardware assault combined with strict Housekeeping protocols, installing Shattered Remains behind taxing ICE, alternating with GRNDL Refineries and Reversed Accounts to further tax intruders. Once the Runner's accounts are depleted past the point of sustainability, a measure of relative security can be attained. I am still uncertain about the wisdom of hiring a Dedicated Response Team or installing Checkpoints, and refuse to employ such drastic measures unless absolutely necessary.

In the event of recurring credits due to third-party resources, we concede that a Snatch and Grab operation may prove most effective following an especially taxing attempt by the Runner. Experience has shown that runners expect tagging ICE against Weyland, and thus limit the effectiveness of traditional means of resource disposal. The advantage of surprise in dealing with resources is critical; unfortunately, we have yet to discern an effective method of dealing with similar issues regarding programs. We may yet bring in a Corporate Troubleshooter from HB to, well, shoot trouble- combining this approach with Taurus or Nebula protocols may well yield positive results.

Regarding constellation ICE: Variety is crucial. While Wormhole and other 9 cost ICE are the most cost-effective to rez, employing non-constellation advanceable ICE in addition has proved outstanding in preventing repeated accesses on central servers. With a Builder and Constellation Protocols, we can implement ICE far more advanced than its original cost would suggest. In one notable circumstance, Legionnaire #85630 was indirectly prevented from accessing our R&D servers for quite some time by a Level 4 unrezzed Ice Wall behind a Builder, despite having a fracter on hand.

Projects that failed to obtain QA approval:

Mental Health Clinics: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ISOLATE PATIENTS WITH BEHAVIORAL ISSUES IN SPACE.

Project Junebug: Pending trade agreements with Jinteki.

Red Herrings: This costs as much to contract from NBN as an RSVP, which is on the whole far more effective at protecting central servers as well as remote assets.

Diversified Portfolio: Another concept of Jinteki import, scrapped in favor of Housekeeping.

New Policies & Procedures:

INSTALL LONG-TERM ASSETS UNDER LOW-COST ICE ONLY. Reserve high-cost ICE for central servers, agendas, and the Docklands Crackdown mission ONLY; if I find one more Space Camp protected by multiple Wormholes, entire departments will be downsized and you WILL be billed for the trip downstalk. We are authorized to levy vacation time and pension plans as necessary.

DO NOT exhaust funds earmarked for ICE or upgrades. How many memos do I need to send, people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellenburg
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
If you want to throw in Builders, you may also want to throw in Sub boosts. Sub boost + builder = mobile defenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.