Tony Lam
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, Everyone. I am scratching my head. Which games "Scotland Yard" or "Fury of Dracula" Should I buy? I am a big fan of deduction game. Both games are similar in terms of finding other. However, in terms of deduction, which game is better and has less random element in deduction? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Both have their merits.

Scotland Yard involves hunting down one player. Each detective has a set amount of transportation tokens: taxi, bus and underground railroad. They have to choose when to use each token, for the game is over after it runs out. Mr. "x", who is being hunted, only reveals himself a couple of times during the game, and all of his moves are marked with a transportation token, so the detectives can deduce where he might have gone. The game is over when one detective finds Mr. X.

Fury of DRacula is much like above, but takes place over all of Europe in 60 different cities. In this case, Dracula leaves a "trail" of 6 locations, and if a hunter moves on any of the 6 locations still in his trail, it is revealed and the hunters can deduce where he might have gone. Dracula has a few tricks to throw off the hunters. When the hunters find Dracula, they have to fight him to defeat him.

Truthfully, if you want the game with less randomness, it would be Scotland Yard. Fury of Dracula involves Event cards which make the game more interesting, but definately much more random. Scotland yard is entirely about deduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please help me to decide. Scotland Yard or Fury of Dracu
Fury is only somewhat about deduction. You will know precisely where Dracula is two or three times before the game ends. The trick is how to kill him once you've got his location pinpointed. Many more random elements than Scotland Yard, mainly for replay and thematic reasons.

Scotland Yard is entirely about deducing the location of Mr. X. You are given more abstract information to go on rather than the exact location clues given in Fury. However the game is very very very dry.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottland Yard definitely is "more pure" and has less random elements.

Fury of Dracula doesn't only add random elements, but also more tactical decisions: should we track down dracula, or search for the vampire he might have placed on his track? Are we strong enough to fight the count, or should we resuply (giving Dracula a chance to get stronger, too)? Now that we know where he is, should we attack immediately, or wait until day (when he is weaker)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
One consideration is who will be playing the game? Will it be family, kids or adults? Both are fun games. I would think you would be able to find Scotland Yard fairly cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Fury is only somewhat about deduction. You will know precisely where Dracula is two or three times before the game ends. The trick is how to kill him once you've got his location pinpointed. Many more random elements than Scotland Yard, mainly for replay and thematic reasons.

Scotland Yard is entirely about deducing the location of Mr. X. You are given more abstract information to go on rather than the exact location clues given in Fury. However the game is very very very dry.

-MMM

I have played both. Scotland Yard is very dry I agree. That's why my group was turned off by it. Fury of Dracula you'll know where the Dracula is more often than Mr. X, but not necessarily. Dracula is more involved. So if you want something simple, get Scotland Yard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Lam
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the comment. Scottland Yard is quite expensive in Australia. It is about the same price as the Fury of Dracula.cry I have a some ideas now. My group quite like deduction game. They like Cluedo Card game. So I may think pure deduction game will not pull them off. Thank you again for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland Yard goes for ~$10 + postage on eBay Australia.

FoD looks the better game, there's much more depth to it..but SY is still heaps of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games. Go for FoD. It is more complex, more fun to play and has much more atmosphere. I just love it.
SY is a bit dry; more of a children's game.
If you are a boardgamer, go for FoD, you won't regret it.

alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad Ive seen this topic

my quandry is that Scotland Yard is nearly half the price of FOD but after reading these comments im still vearing towards FOD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy FURY OF DRACULA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell you what mate, ive just changed my mind again. Dont get me wrong, I much prefer the theme of FOD but

it takes from 2-3 hours!!!!!!

sadly my gaming group have short attention spans and are good for about half of that.

Scotland Yard is listed as 45 minutes so I may go for that now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may (slightly) hijack the thread, I have one question that might be relevant. My wife and I enjoy Scotland Yard as a 2-player game; one is Mr.X and one gets 5 detectives; it works amazingly well. Do you think FoD would also work, or does it need more teamwork to be enjoyable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
If I may (slightly) hijack the thread, I have one question that might be relevant. My wife and I enjoy Scotland Yard as a 2-player game; one is Mr.X and one gets 5 detectives; it works amazingly well. Do you think FoD would also work, or does it need more teamwork to be enjoyable?

FoD works very well as a 2-player game. As Dracula, you miss out on listening to the hunters banter about where they think you are (which is part of the fun) but it also moves a bit faster as a 2-player game for that very reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I tihnk both are good games, but they do feel different. In Scotland Yard you spend alot of your time trying to find Mr. X. In FoD, you spend alot of the game knowing, or almost knowing where he is. But Dracula has alot of powers and abilities to let him confuse the hunters and slip out of their nets. You know he's at this spot, but can't get to him fast enough. Or you know he's in one of these cities, then find out he's nowhere near you because he used his Hide ability to screw up your deduction process. Or you've got him cornered and he uses his Wolf Form to run right through you. Sutff like that. VAery thematic and alot of fun if you like that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
For me FoD is by Far the more engaging game thanks to theme and the more complex mechanics.

However for your group Scotland Yard sounds spot on.

Time is the other major factor, with Scotland Yard being more likely to satisfy a group that enjoys Cleudo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.