Subject: Unofficial Tiny Epic Defenders FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an unofficial FAQ that is a compilation of questions that were asked on the BGG Forums, questions that have cropped up during my own playthroughs of the game, and clarifications that have been included in the rulebook. Answers are based on responses from the designer, publisher, and rulebook.

Items with an asterisk(*) are questions that I am unsure of either because a) the ruling given for this may have come from a dated version of the game, b) the answer given is based on another ruling where the same principle applies, but could stand to be reviewed by the designer/publisher, or c) there is no ruling on this or I am not 100% certain about the answer for any other multitude of reasons.

After all items with an asterisk have been addressed, I'll put all of the questions and answers from this thread into a PDF, upload it to the files section, and link back to it here after it gets approved.

Please let me know if there are any questions that you feel should be added or if there are any corrections. Hopefully this helps some people out!

GENERAL

There seems to be a conflict between the Rulebook and the Cards, and also between some Cards and other Cards. Which takes priority?
The Rulebook sets the baseline rules, Cards then supersede those rules, and Hero Abilities trump all other rules.

Can I look through the discard pile to review what has already been drawn, and to help figure out what will be coming?
No. Players are not allowed to look through the discard pile at any time.

Do I have to use up all 3 Actions on my turn?
No, although any unused Actions will be wasted as they do not carry over.

If I am at 1 Health and I sacrifice my last Health Point for an Extra Action, can I Succor or Fight as my last Action?
No. You are at 0 Health.

Can one Hero use up all the Actions from a Group Ally Card, or do the Actions need to be split up between at least two Heroes?
One Hero can use all the Actions.

How many additional Action Points are granted during a turn from a Group Ally Card when there is a Destroyed Region? Is it one per Destroyed Region or just one for the entire turn, regardless of how many Destroyed Regions there are?
One for the entire turn.

Can you choose to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an Extra Action during a turn from a Group Ally Card?
Yes, but you must use at least 3 consecutive Action Points in one turn before you can choose to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point. These 3 Actions can be the result of combining Actions from the Group Ally Card with Action Points gained through other means (via the Commander's "Deploy" ability, the Mountain's "Prepare" ability, the "Timeless Sandglass" Artifact, etc.).

For abilities that can only be used once per turn (some Hero abilities and a Region Action abilities), what constitutes a turn?
Once per turn means you can only use it once per Ally or Group Ally Card, or when the "Elixir of Errand" is used off-turn.

Can Free Action Artifacts be used in reaction to a revealed Enemy Card, interrupting the timing of the Turn Deck?
Yes. For example, immediately after a Dire Enemy Card is revealed, you could use the "Elixir of Errand" to gain 2 Action Points, spend those Actions to move to the attacked Region, and then Defend against the attack. Similarly, you could use the "Timeless Sandglass" in reaction to a revealed Enemy Card that would have Destroyed a Region, preventing it from being Destroyed on that turn.

REGIONS

Can I Succor a Destroyed Outer Region, thus returning it to life?
No. The only way to restore a Destroyed Outer Region is by using the Necromancer's "Raise" ability.

How many times can I use a Region's ability?
Action abilities are limited to being used only once per turn. Passive abilities are always applicable in a Region that is not Destroyed and have no limit on use.

When a Region is Destroyed, does its Passive ability remain in effect?
No. All Region abilities (both Action and Passive) are ignored when a Region is Destroyed.

--- Capital City ---

Does a Group Ally Card automatically trigger the "Rest" ability for all players in the Capital City?
No. In order to trigger the "Rest" ability on a turn from a Group Ally Card, a player must 1) have already been in the Capital City at the beginning of the turn and 2) use at least 1 Action Point.

What constitutes being in the Capital City at the start of your turn in order to trigger the "Rest" ability?
When the Ally or Group Ally Card is drawn, or when the "Elixir of Errand" is used off-turn. Thus, during the resolution of a Group Ally Card, if one player were to use an Action to move another player who had yet to take their Actions from the Group Ally Card into the Capital City (via the Coast's "Dispatch" ability, the "Horn of Command," etc.), that second player would not benefit from the Capital City's "Rest" ability when they eventually took their Actions.

How can I reduce the Threat Level in the Capital City?
The only ways to accomplish this are by using the Forest's "Reconcile" ability or the "Celestial Guardian" Artifact.

Can I Defend while in the Capital City?
In general, no. To prevent damage to the Capital City, you would instead Defend the Destroyed Outer Region from which the attacks are coming from. The lone exception is that the Guardian is able to Defend while in the Capital City at the cost of 2 Health Points.

--- Coast ---

If I use the Coast's abilities to move a Hero from the Desert's "Sandstorm," how many Action Points does it cost?
Only 1 Action Point.

--- Desert ---

What does "Heatwave" do if I have 0 Health?
This ability has no additional effect on you.

When the Desert is destroyed, Is "Sandstorm" still active?
No. All Region abilities (both Action and Passive) are ignored when a Region is destroyed.

If I have used up 2 Action Points, have 1 Action Point left, and am in the middle of the "Sandstorm," can I sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point, and then combine those to meet the 2 Action Point requirement to leave the Desert?
No. You must use at least 3 consecutive Action Points in one turn before you can choose to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point.

How many Action Points does it cost the Warrior to move out of or through the "Sandstorm?"
Only 1 Action Point. Hero abilities trump all other rules. The Warrior can move from and through the Desert's "Sandstorm" without any penalty. For all intents and purposes, the Warrior ignores the "Sandstorm" and treats the Desert like any other Region as far as movement is concerned.

If I use a special Hero movement ability to move someone out of the "Sandstorm" (e.g.: Avenger's "Fly," Commander's "Command, "Druid's "Nature's Call," Guardian's "Retreat," Revenant's "Recall," etc.), do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?
No additional cost is incurred. Hero abilities trump all other rules.

--- Forest ---

When I use "Enchant" to reduce the Threat Level of the side of the Ruins that has "Sacrifice," do I pay Action Points or Health Points?
Action Points.

If I have used up 2 Action Points and have 1 Action Point left, can I sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point, and then combine those to meet the 2 Action Point requirement to use the Forest's abilities?
No. You must use at least 3 consecutive Action Points in one turn before you can choose to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point.

--- Mountains ---

Can more than one player be in the circle at the same time?
Yes.

When I am in the circle, if I am moved from the Mountains to another Region (by another player, the Sea Serpent, etc.) does that cause me to lose the bonus I would gain on my turn?
Yes.

When I am in the circle, does the Giant's "Stomp" cause me to lose the benefit that I would gain from the circle?
No, but you will need to spend an Action Point to stand up before you can use the benefit from the circle.

Can I use the "Fortify" ability to Defend even if I have 0 Health Points?
Yes.

When I use "Fortify," am I obligated to Defend the next attack, or can I choose to wait for a Dire Enemy attack in order to maximize the ability?
You are obligated to Defend the next valid attack. While in the circle, you cannot choose to Defend normally using your Health to wait for a Dire Enemy.

When I use "Fortify" with the Assassin and the next valid attack is from an Enemy, can I use "Assassinate" to avoid this attack in an attempt to wait for a Dire Enemy attack?
Yes.

When using "Fortify," if there are 2 or more Heroes standing in the circle, who Defends?
You choose.

--- Plains ---

If both of the adjacent Outer Regions to the Plains are simultaneously attacked with the same Enemy Card, can a player in the Plains use "Safeguard" to defend both Regions at once?
Yes. The limit to using a Region's ability only once per turn applies to Action abilities, not Passive abilities.

When I simultaneously Defend both of the adjacent Outer Regions with "Safeguard," do I lose 1 Health or 2 Health?
2 Health, 1 for each Region that you Defend.

Can I use the "Patrol" more than once per turn?
Yes. The limit to using a Region's ability only once per turn applies to Action abilities, not Passive abilities.

--- Ruins ---

Does "Sacrifice" mean I have to spend both Action Points and Health Points in order to Succor?
No. You spend Health Points instead of Action Points; it is not a mix and match of both, just Health. In that sense, it is a Free Action on your turn. For example, on a normal turn, if you were to spend 1 Action Point to move to the Ruins, you could then spend as much Health as you wished to Succor, and afterward still have 2 more Action Points to use.

Because "Sacrifice" is Passive and does not use any Action Points, does that mean I can Succor off-turn?
No. You can only Succor on your turn as an Action. In this case, you are just spending Health Points on the Action instead of Action Points, like you normally would.

DIRE ENEMIES

What is the order of operations to resolving a Dire Enemy attack?
1) Resolve any effects that occur before Defending (currently only the Sea Serpent's "Tsunami").
2) Is there a Hero in the same Region as the attacking Dire Enemy who is able and willing to Defend? If yes, proceed to #3. If not, proceed to #4.
3) Sacrifice 2 Health (or 3 Health, in the case of the Minotaur) from this Hero, award them an Artifact Card, and ignore any other ability text on the Dire Enemy Card. This ends the turn.
4) The Threat Level of the Region the Dire Enemy is attacking is increased by 1.
5) Resolve any ability text on the Dire Enemy Card. This ends the turn.

Can a player with 1 Health Point successfully Defend a Dire Enemy attack?
No. You need at least 2 Health (or 3 Health, in the case of the Minotaur) in order to successfully Defend a Dire Enemy attack.

Can two players in the same Region team up to Defend a single Dire Enemy (i.e.: both of them sacrificing 1 Health)?
No.

Can a player with 1 Health Point successfully Defend a Dire Enemy attack?
No. You need at least 2 Health (or 3 Health, in the case of the Minotaur) in order to successfully Defend a Dire Enemy attack.

When I successfully Defend a Dire Enemy attack, do I remove it from the game?
No. A Dire Enemy that is defended still goes into the discard pile, and then gets reshuffled back into the Turn Deck when the new Round begins.

--- Basilisk ---

Does "Gaze" disable all Region abilities (both Action and Passive)?
Only Action abilities.

--- Giant Snake ---

Does "Poison" disable all Hero abilities (both Action and Passive)?
Only Action abilities.

--- Harpy ---

If an attack is successful when the Mountain's Threat Level is 0, is the Threat Level increased by 1 (from just the attack) or 2 (from the attack and from "Frenzy")?
The Threat Level is increased by 1. The attack resolves first, then "Frenzy."

Can I Defend the increase in Threat that results from "Frenzy?"
No.

--- Wraith ---

Can you choose a Hero that has less than 2 Health Points to suffer the effects of "Drain?"
You must choose a Hero that has at least 2 Health, if possible. If no Heroes have 2 Health, but some have 1 Health, then choose a single Hero with 1 Health as the target instead and reduce them to 0 Health. If all Heroes have 0 Health, then ignore this ability.

EPIC FOES

--- Colossus ---

When attacking multiple times, do I lose 1 Health Point every time it is damaged or just 1 Health per round in which it was damaged?
Every time it is damaged. For example, if you performed 3 attacks, you would lose 3 Health.

When I use the "Spear of Valor," do I still lose 1 Health?
Yes.

--- Demon Lord ---

When I use the "Spear of Valor," do I still get reduced to 1 Health?
Yes.

--- Dragon ---

What does "Scorch" do if I have less than 2 Health?
If you have 1 Health, then reduce yourself to 0 Health and ignore the extra damage. If you have 0 Health, this ability has no additional effect on you.

--- Fire Elemental ---

When attacking multiple times, do I increase the Threat Level of its Region by 1 every time it is damaged or just 1 Threat per round in which it was damaged?
Every time it is damaged. For example, if you performed 3 attacks, you would increase the Threat Level of its Region by 3.

When I use the "Spear of Valor," do I still increase the Threat Level of its Region by 1?
Yes.

When it is damaged and the Region that it's in is Destroyed, what do I do?
Increase the Threat Level of the Capital City instead.

Can I Defend the increase in Threat that results from "Burn?"
No.

--- Giant ---

When you suffer from the effects of "Stomp" and your Hero meeple is on its side, does this prevent you from using any Free Action Artifacts?
Yes.

--- Kraken ---

How many Action Points does it cost the Warrior to move into the Kraken's Region?
Only 1 Action Point. Hero abilities trump all other rules. The Warrior can move into the Kraken's Region without any penalty. For all intents and purposes, the Warrior ignores the "Demolish" ability and treats this like any other Region as far as movement is concerned.

If I use a special Hero movement ability to move someone into the Kraken's Region (e.g.: Avenger's "Fly," Commander's "Command, "Druid's "Nature's Call," Revenant's "Recall," etc.), do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

If I have used up 2 Action Points and have 1 Action Point left, can I sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point, and then combine those to meet the 2 Action Point requirement to perform a normal Move Action to enter the Kraken's Region?

Does "Demolish" disable all Region abilities (both Action and Passive)?
Only Action abilities.

--- Overlord ---

Does it move every time it is damaged, once per turn in which it was damaged, or once per round in which it was damaged?
Every time it is damaged.

When I use the "Spear of Valor," does it still move 1 Region?
Yes.

ARTIFACTS

Can Free Action Artifacts be used in reaction to a revealed Enemy Card, interrupting the timing of the Turn Deck?
Yes. For example, immediately after a Dire Enemy Card is revealed, you could use the "Elixir of Errand" to gain 2 Action Points, spend those Actions to move to the attacked Region, and then Defend against the attack. Similarly, you could use the "Timeless Sandglass" in reaction to a revealed Enemy Card that would have Destroyed a Region, preventing it from being Destroyed on that turn.

Can Artifacts be traded amongst players?
No.

Can I apply the benefit that should be applied to myself to another player? For example, if I have the "Elixir of Errand", can I use it give another player 2 Action Points?
No.

--- Boots of Zephyr ---

When I reach 0 Action Points, does this end my turn or can I still continue to Move, as movement costs 0 Action Points?
You can continue to Move and end the turn in your desired Region.

Since these can be activated off-turn, does this also allow me to Move off-turn?
No. You can still only Move on your turn.

--- Elixir of Errand ---

Can you sacrifice a Health Point to gain an Extra Action after using this off-turn?
Yes. In the rare instance that you were somehow able to combine the 2 Action Points gained with 1 Action Point gained through other means (via the Commander's "Deploy" ability, the Mountain's "Prepare" ability, etc.) to meet the requirement of spending 3 consecutive Action Points in one turn, this would allow you to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point.

When this is used in reaction to a (Group) Ally Card being drawn, can you play it before the Ally Card and have it result in two turns (one turn of 2 Actions from Elixir, then another turn with Actions from the Ally Card)? Or must the 2 Actions from the Elixir be added on to the Card, resulting in one turn (with the Actions from the Card + 2 Actions from Elixir).
You can do either.

--- Gavel of Gamelyn ---
Can this be used at the start of a Round, before or in reaction to when the first card in the Turn Deck is drawn, effectively skipping an entire Round?
Yes.

--- Hammer of Might ---

Can this be used to reduce the Threat Level of the Capital City to 0?
No.

Can this be used to reduce the Threat Level of a Destroyed Outer Region to 0, thus returning it to life?
No. The only way to restore a Destroyed Outer Region is by using the Necromancer's "Raise" ability.

--- Shield of Aughmoore ---

Can I use this to Defend even if I have 0 Health Points?
Yes.

Can I use this to Defend the Capital City from within the Capital City?
No, not unless you are using the Guardian's "Protect" ability.

--- Spear of Valor ---

When used to damage the Demon Lord, do I still get reduced to 1 Health?
Yes.

When used to damage the Colossus, do I still lose 1 Health?
Yes.

When used to damage the Fire Elemental, do I still increase the Threat Level of its Region by 1?
Yes.

When used to damage the Overlord, does it still move 1 Region?
Yes.

--- Timeless Sandglass ---

Does this effect carry over from one Round to the next?
Yes. If you have not drawn an Ally or Group Ally Card before the Round ends, then this effect carries over into the next Round.

When ignoring Enemies, can I choose to defend against any Dire Enemies that are revealed so that I can obtain an Artifact?
No. You must ignore all Enemies until the next Ally or Group Ally Card is drawn.

--- Zodiac Cloak ---

Can you choose which cards are shuffled back into the Turn Deck or are they chosen at random?
You choose.

Can this be used at the end of a Round when there are no cards left to be drawn from the Turn Deck, before the next Round begins?
Yes.

HEROES

How many times can I use my Hero ability?
In general, that is no limit, and you can use it as many times as you are able to pay for it, unless otherwise noted on the card. Exceptions to this include the Barbarian's "Berserk," Cleric's "Heal," and Commander's "Deploy," which can only be used once per turn, the Paladin's "Retribute," which can only be used once per Defend, and the Assassin's "Assassinate," which can only be used once per Round.

--- Assassin ---

Can I use the "Assassinate" ability if I have 0 Health?
No. The Assassin must be able to legally Defend (1 Health against an Enemy, 2 Health against Dire Enemies, 3 Health against the Minotaur), he just doesn't lose any Health.

When I use "Assassinate" to Defend against an Enemy Card, are the attacks for both Regions ignored?
Yes.

When I use "Assassinate" to Defend against a Dire Enemy Card, do I still get an Artifact?
No.

--- Avenger ---

When using "Fly," does it cost an extra Health Point to Defend against the Minotaur?
Yes. It costs 4 Health.

When using "Fly" to Defend within 1 Region of the Druid, can he take the damage for you using "Martyr?"
Yes, as long as he has enough Health to pay the cost of your ability.

Can I use "Fly" to defend against the Sea Serpent?
Yes. The "Tsunami" that moves everyone clockwise occurs first, then the Avenger moves to the Coast to Defend.

If I use "Fly" to move out of the Desert's "Sandstorm," do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

If I use "Fly" and happen to move into the Kraken's Region, do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

While using the "Shield of Aughmoore," can I use "Fly" indefinitely without losing Health?
Yes.

--- Bard ---

Can I use "Befriend" to interact with the Capital City to replenish all of my Health from 1 Region away?
No.

When using "Befriend" to interact with the Coast, can I use its abilities to move either myself or another Hero out of the Desert's "Sandstorm" for only 1 Action Point?
Yes.

When using "Befriend" to interact with the Mountain, does this result in you automatically occupying the circle as a Free Move Action?
Yes.

When using "Befriend" to interact with the Plains, can I use "Safeguard," even though it is a Passive ability, to Defend the Region on the other side of the Plains, from 2 Regions away?
Yes. Within this context, Defend can be viewed as an off-turn Free Action. Note that, although you can use this to Defend 2 Regions away, you cannot use it to Defend the Plains themselves.

When using "Befriend" to interact with the side of the Ruins that has "Sacrifice," can I Succor to reduce its Threat Level from 1 Region away?
No.

--- Barbarian ---

Is there a limit on how many times you can use "Berserk?"
Yes. You can only sacrifice 1 additional Health Point to gain 1 additional Action Point on top of the regular ability to sacrifice 1 Health for 1 extra Action. Effectively, this allows you to perform the sacrifice twice in one turn for a maximum of 2 extra Actions per turn, as opposed to the limit imposed on every other player of only one sacrifice per turn for a maximum of 1 extra Action per turn.

If I have used less than 3 Action Points on a turn from a Group Ally Card, can I use "Berserk" to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point?
No. You still need to meet the requirement of using at least 3 consecutive Action Points in one turn before you can choose to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point.

--- Commander ---

If there is another Hero in the Capital City when I take my turn during a Group Ally Card, do I still gain an additional Action Point from "Deploy?"
Yes. When playing with only 2 Heroes, you could potentially benefit from this ability 3 times per round (once from your Ally Card, then another from each Group Ally Card).

Does that other Hero need to start the turn in the Capital City in order for me to benefit from "Deploy?"
No.

If I use "Command" to move another Hero out of the Desert's "Sandstorm," do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

If I use "Command" to move another Hero into the Kraken's Region, do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

--- Druid ---

When using "Martyr," can you take damage for a Hero with 0 Health, thus allowing them to Defend the Region that they are standing in?
No. The Hero who benefits from "Martyr" must be able to legally Defend (1 Health against an Enemy, 2 Health against Dire Enemies, 3 Health against the Minotaur), you just take the damage for them.

When using "Martyr," can you take damage for a Hero using a special Defend hero ability (e.g.: Avenger's "Fly," Guardian's "Protect," etc.)?
Yes, as long as they are within 1 Region of you, they are legally able to Defend, and you have enough Health to pay the cost of their ability.

If I use "Nature's Call" to move out of the Desert's "Sandstorm," do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

If I use "Nature's Call" and happen to move into the Kraken's Region, do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

--- Guardian ---

Does "Protect" allow you to Defend against any attack on any Outer Region from the Capital City?
No, only attacks on any Destroyed Outer Regions that, left undefended, would increase the Threat Level of the Capital City.

When using "Protect," does it cost extra Health Points to Defend against a Dire Enemy?
Yes. It costs 3 Health (or 4 Health, in the case of the Minotaur).

When using "Protect" within 1 Region of the Druid, can he take the damage for you using "Martyr?"
Yes, as long as he has enough Health to pay the cost of your ability.

If I use "Retreat" to move out of the Desert's "Sandstorm," do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

--- Necromancer ---

Do you need to be standing in the Destroyed Outer Region that you wish to "Raise?"
No.

When there is more than one Destroyed Outer Region and I "Raise" one of them, what happens when I am forced to increase the Threat Level of the other as a result of this ability and cannot?
The Threat Level of the Capital City is increased by 1 instead.

When I use "Raise," do I also increase the Threat Level of the Capital City?
No, not unless the above scenario applies. The increase in Threat affects the Outer Regions.

--- Oracle ---

What constitutes not starting your turn in the Capital City in order to the requirement to "Scry?"
When the Ally or Group Ally Card is drawn, or when the "Elixir of Errand" is used off-turn. Thus, during the resolution of a Group Ally Card where you took an Action, if you were in the Capital City and another player were to move you to another Region before you took your Actions, you would still not be able to "Scry" when you eventually took your Actions; in this example, you would, however, still benefit from the Capital City's "Rest."

When using "Scry," can I rearrange the top 2 cards in the Turn Deck?
No. You may only look at them.

--- Paladin ---

While using the "Shield of Aughmoore" to Defend, do I still need to sacrifice a Health Point when I use "Retribute?"
Yes.

--- Ranger ---

When I use "Farshot" to Succor the side of the Ruins that has "Sacrifice," do I pay Action Points or Health Points?
Health Points.

Can I use "Farshot" while in the Capital City?
No.

--- Revenant ---

How exactly does "Recompose" work?
Whenever an Outer Region is destroyed, the Revenant's life is fully restored to 3 Health Points.

If I have 0 Health when I draw an Enemy Card that would destroy a Region, and I am standing in the other Region that is also being attacked, can I "Recompose" first and restore Health in order to Defend the Region that I am in?
Yes.

If I use "Recall" to move out of the Desert's "Sandstorm," do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

If I use "Recall" and happen to move into the Kraken's Region, do I have to pay any additional penalty on top of the ability's normal cost?

--- Sorcerer ---

When I use "Lightning" to reduce the Threat Level of the side of the Ruins that has "Sacrifice," do I pay Action Points or Health Points?
Action Points. You are using your Hero ability, not the Succor action.

Can I use "Lightning" to reduce the Threat Level in the Capital City?
No.

If I have used up 2 Action Points and have 1 Action Point left, can I sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point, and then combine those to meet the 2 Action Point requirement to use "Lightning?"

--- Warrior ---

How many Action Points does it cost to move into the Kraken's Region?
Only 1 Action Point. Hero abilities trump all other rules. The Warrior can move into the Kraken's Region without any penalty. For all intents and purposes, the Warrior ignores the "Demolish" ability and treats this like any other Region as far as movement is concerned.

How many Action Points does it cost to move out of the Desert's "Sandstorm?"
Only 1 Action Point. Hero abilities trump all other rules. The Warrior can move from and through the Desert's "Sandstorm" without any penalty. For all intents and purposes, the Warrior ignores the "Sandstorm" and treats the Desert like any other Region as far as movement is concerned.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMAZING work, John!! Thanks for doing this.

You might want to add the Valkyrie vs. Minotaur question. We have always played (and IIRC, it was confirmed somewhere) that it still only costs the Valkyrie 3 HP, as that is (ironically) what both cards actually say.

Thanks again for your time and hard work putting this together. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Gunnell
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa... this is... EPIC. Thank you for this write-up! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also (not that you haven't done enough work already) - but you may want to think about putting this in some sort of .pdf or .doc format so it is printer-friendly.

I would suggest waiting a few days at least, though. That will give others a chance to make suggestions for inclusions, the game designers to weigh in on anything they can clarify, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
You might want to add the Valkyrie vs. Minotaur question. We have always played (and IIRC, it was confirmed somewhere) that it still only costs the Valkyrie 3 HP, as that is (ironically) what both cards actually say.

Good catch for inclusion. I can't find any ruling on this, but if we follow the rulings found here and here on the Guardian's "Protect" ability (where, despite the stated cost of 2 Health, it actually costs 3 Health to Defend against a Dire Enemy (and 4 Health against the Minotaur), then using "Fly" against the Minotaur would cost 4 Health.

Nikoms wrote:
Also (not that you haven't done enough work already) - but you may want to think about putting this in some sort of .pdf or .doc format so it is printer-friendly.

That was my intention all along. Great minds think alike! I've made a note in the intro to the thread to indicate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post!! I tipped you big.

I'm just going to step in with corrections to make sure all your answer are correct. Again, great job collecting these Q&As.

I will continue to monitor this post and help where I can.

Cheers!

Edited to remove corrections as they are implemented into the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
I'm just going to step in with corrections to make sure all your answer are correct.

Yes, please do! ;D

Quote:
1. When I use "Fortify," am I obligated to Defend the next attack, or can I choose to wait until a Dire Enemy attacks in order to maximize the ability?*

- Yes, you are obligated. "The 'NEXT' attack"

Updated. The basis for the original interpretation was this ruling by Scott from an earlier edition of the game.

Judging from your response, although this aspect of the Mountain's "ability has changed, the ability for more than one player to occupy the circle at the same time has stayed the same.

This does now beg the question though...

When I use "Fortify" with the Assassin and the next valid attack is from an Enemy, can I use "Assassinate" to avoid this attack in an attempt to wait for a Dire Enemy attack?

I assume the answer to this question is "Yes," based on how Hero abilities supersede everything else.

Quote:
2. To Shield of Aughmoore, I would add: "Can I use it to Defend the Capital City from within the Capital City.?"

- No, it must be used in an Outer Region.

Great addition! Added.

Quote:
That's all I saw for now. I will continue to monitor this post and help where I can.

Thank you for your continued feedback (not just on this thread, but on the forums in general). I know everyone out there really appreciates it. And also, thanks for the great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:

To Shield of Aughmoore, I would add: "Can I use it to Defend the Capital City from within the Capital City.?"

Unless, of course, the Guardian is in the Capital with that bad boy..."YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!"

(right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hamilton
msg tools
I mentioned something similar the other day, but is there any interest in moving this sort of data into a web page (print friendly) or Wiki-like structure to make it easier to maintain and share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Assassin can use his ability to hold out like you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hamilton
msg tools
From the Barbarian FAQ:

> If I have used less than 3 Action Points on a turn from a Group Ally Card, can I use "Berserk" to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an additional Action Point?

> No. You still need to meet the requirement of using at least 3 consecutive Action Points before you can choose to sacrifice 1 Health Point to gain an extra Action Point.

So to clarify, you actually have to have used the sacrifice ability from already having used 3 action points before you can use his ability at all? That really seems to cripple the use of his ability somewhat substantially from its previous interpretation, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. (See these rulings on the limit on the number of uses and the minimum requirements to activate.)

Effectively, "Berserk" allows the Barbarian to perform the sacrifice twice in one turn for a maximum of 2 extra Actions per turn, as opposed to the limit imposed on every other player of only one sacrifice per turn for a maximum of 1 extra Action per turn.

I believe there was an earlier version of the Barbarian who had no limit imposed on the number of times he could perform his special ability, and could sacrifice as much Health as he wished to gain as many extra Actions as he could afford, but as a counterbalance, he was only able to restore 2 Health in the Capital City.

As I did not play any of the print-and-play versions of TED, I cannot comment very much on previous interpretations from earlier versions of the game. As to which version of the ability is superior and which one is by comparison crippled, I suppose that's a subjective opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
mgcoe wrote:

To Shield of Aughmoore, I would add: "Can I use it to Defend the Capital City from within the Capital City.?"

Unless, of course, the Guardian is in the Capital with that bad boy..."YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!"

(right?)

So just to follow up on this thought - the Guardian in the Capital City with the shield of Aughmoore is basically a "free rest of the round" for the good guys once he uses an AP to get the Shield "active" - as he can defend anything for free. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if by "free rest of the round," you mean that the Capital City cannot fall.

"Protect" does not allow you to Defend against any attack on any Outer Region from the Capital City, only those attacks from a Destroyed Outer Regions that, left undefended, would increase the Threat Level of the Capital City.

In other words, although the Capital City will not fall in this way, any Outer Regions which are not yet Destroyed will still have their Threat Levels increased by attacks as usual until they are Destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JQTNguyen wrote:
Yes, if by "free rest of the round," you mean that the Capital City cannot fall.

"Protect" does not allow you to Defend against any attack on any Outer Region from the Capital City, only those attacks from a Destroyed Outer Regions that, left undefended, would increase the Threat Level of the Capital City.

In other words, although the Capital City will not fall in this way, any Outer Regions which are not yet Destroyed will still have their Threat Levels increased by attacks as usual until they are Destroyed.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some question based off the print & play/images from BGG (won't have the real game until the TEG KS add-ons become available). Also haven't found any links to the official rulebook so apologies if some questions have been answered there.

JQTNguyen wrote:
(Colossus) When attacking multiple times, do I increase the Threat Level of its Region by 1 every time it is damaged or just 1 Threat per round in which it was damaged?
Not the question that was asked, but early art specifically references its region (Desert I think). If you move the Colossus with an Artifact, which region does it now effect? I would assume still the Desert. Same question for the Kraken.

JQTNguyen wrote:
(Heroes - Avenger) When using "Fly," does it cost an extra Health Point to Defend against the Minotaur?*^
Yes. It costs 4 Health.
Has there been clarification? Seems like Minotaur should still cost 3 HP. Also does the Guardian pay 3 HP against dire enemies and 4 against the Minotaur, or 2 HP all around?

Another question: I thought I saw somewhere that all hero "Action" abilities can only be used once per turn, but now I can't find that. True?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
JQTNguyen wrote:
(Colossus) When attacking multiple times, do I increase the Threat Level of its Region by 1 every time it is damaged or just 1 Threat per round in which it was damaged?
Not the question that was asked, but early art specifically references its region (Desert I think). If you move the Colossus with an Artifact, which region does it now effect? I would assume still the Desert. Same question for the Kraken.

In the final version of the game, the ability being referred to belongs to the Fire Elemental and reads: "BURN - When Damaged, increase the Threat Level of this Region by 1."

Similarly, the wording on the Kraken ability has also been changed to affect the Region that it currently occupies: "DEMOLISH - A Hero must spend 2 Action Points to enter this Region. The ability of this Region can no longer be used."

In both cases, the effect moves with the Epic Foe, rather than staying at the point of origin.

tosx wrote:
JQTNguyen wrote:
(Heroes - Avenger) When using "Fly," does it cost an extra Health Point to Defend against the Minotaur?*^
Yes. It costs 4 Health.
Has there been clarification? Seems like Minotaur should still cost 3 HP. Also does the Guardian pay 3 HP against dire enemies and 4 against the Minotaur, or 2 HP all around?

To answer in reverse order, there is a ruling for the Guardian's "Protect" ability agains Dire Enemies and the Minotaur in the reference below.

JQTNguyen wrote:
I can't find any ruling on this, but if we follow the rulings found here and here on the Guardian's "Protect" ability (where, despite the stated cost of 2 Health, it actually costs 3 Health to Defend against a Dire Enemy (and 4 Health against the Minotaur), then using "Fly" against the Minotaur would cost 4 Health.

Following this same logic, the Avenger would also pay an additional cost for the Minotaur when using "Fly." Since that was posted, the publisher reviewed this FAQ and commented that all responses at that time appeared to be correct (or have since been amended to be correct). That being the case, I think the only thing that would trump that at this point is if the designer were to step in and veto.

tosx wrote:
Another question: I thought I saw somewhere that all hero "Action" abilities can only be used once per turn, but now I can't find that. True?

Is this what you are referring to...?

JQTNguyen wrote:
How many times can I use my Hero ability?
In general, that is no limit, and you can use it as many times as you are able to pay for it, unless otherwise noted on the card. Exceptions to this include the Barbarian's "Berserk," Cleric's "Heal," and Commander's "Deploy," which can only be used once per turn, the Paladin's "Retribute," which can only be used once per Defend, and the Assassin's "Assassinate," which can only be used once per Round.

If not, maybe it's Region abilities that you're thinking of...?

JQTNguyen wrote:
How many times can I use a Region's ability?
Action abilities are limited to being used only once per turn. Passive abilities are always applicable in a Region that is not Destroyed and have no limit on use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more clarifications...

Kraken
Is the correct interpretation of this ruling that the Kraken disables all Region abilities (both Action and Passive) in its Region? Or is it like the Basilisk and Giant Snake, where only Action abilities are disabled?

Giant
When you suffer from the effects of the Giant's "Stomp" and your Hero meeple is on its side, does this prevent you from using any Free Action Artifacts?

Zodiac Cloak
Can you choose which cards are shuffled back into the Turn Deck or are they chosen at random? I presume it's the former, not the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JQTNguyen wrote:
A few more clarifications...

Kraken
Is the correct interpretation of this ruling that the Kraken disables all Region abilities (both Action and Passive) in its Region? Or is it like the Basilisk and Giant Snake, where only Action abilities are disabled?

Giant
When you suffer from the effects of the Giant's "Stomp" and your Hero meeple is on its side, does this prevent you from using any Free Action Artifacts?

Zodiac Cloak
Can you choose which cards are shuffled back into the Turn Deck or are they chosen at random? I presume it's the former, not the latter.

The Kraken is consistent with similar abilities like the Basilisk and Giant Snake.

Yes, the Giant's stomp prevents ALL actions including free actions.

Yes, you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks again for the responses. I wasn't able to catch you guys when you demoed TED at Game Depot, so I'm doing everything I can to make up for that now and show some local area support. ;D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
So why doesn't the Guardian pay 3 HP for a dire enemy (up 1 from normal Guardian cost of 2) and 4 for Minotaur?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
So why doesn't the Guardian pay 3 HP for a dire enemy (up 1 from normal Guardian cost of 2) and 4 for Minotaur?

Sorry, it appears I made a typographical error which led to some confusion.

JQTNguyen wrote:
I can't find any ruling on this, but if we follow the rulings found here and here on the Guardian's "Protect" ability (where, despite the stated cost of 2 Health, it actually costs 3 Health to Defend against a Dire Enemy (and 4 Health against the Minotaur), then using "Fly" against the Minotaur would cost 4 Health.

The bold text above got omitted somehow. The Guardian does pay 3 Health to Defend against a Dire Enemy (and 4 Health against the Minotaur) when he uses "Protect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had an odd question - the "players cannot look through the discard pile". I am not disagreeing - I just don't remember this ever being addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
I just had an odd question - the "players cannot look through the discard pile". I am not disagreeing - I just don't remember this ever being addressed.

Page 6 of the rulebook, under Game Play Overview - the bolded sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
Nikoms wrote:

Page 6 of the rulebook, under Game Play Overview - the bolded sentence.
Ah, yes. I just got mine yesterday and that sentence was not in the original rules sent out the Premium PnP back in August (the rules we have been playing by for 6 months). Just curious how this is supposed to work with the Zodiac cloak then? Once the players announce they are using it, can they look through to decide which hero cards they want, or do they have to keep track of who already played?

Actually, on second thought, nevermind. lol - we're going to house rule that this "cannot look at the discard pile" isn't actually a rule - especially since it hasn't been.

Honestly, I've never liked "hidden-but-trackable" information, as you could keep track if you wanted to - or took the time to do so. If I wanted to play "Memory", I'd just buy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |